Epcot EMH strategies?

catccc

Earning My Ears
We are going to be at Epcot on Thursday, 11/14. Hours are 8/9-9, morning EMH. I'm coming up on my FP+ reservation date!

We are staying at Pop. I'm traveling with my 8 & 10 y/o, plus my mom. She's in good shape for her age, but had hip replacement surgery in February. So I don't want to push my mom to speed walk everywhere, nor do I want to excessively criss cross a park as huge as Epcot.

Any opinions on these plans for an Epcot EMH morning?
1) Arriving at the International Gateway entrance (coming off the skyliner), rope dropping Frozen Ever After, then doing Soarin' (stand by) and having a Test Track FP+ for later in the morning?
2) Or would it be better to arrive at the other entrance, RD TT, Soarin' on standby, then an FEA FP+ for later?

We will have another 1/2 day at Epcot later in the trip (the day we leave,) but I'm not confident we will be able to RD that morning. And I'm thinking of using my tier 1 FP+ for Character Spot on that day. Or does it make more sense to make my tier 1s FEA & TT, and try to get Character Spot as a 4th FP on our full Epcot Day?

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
We did a modified version of #1 last year and it worked for us. We went to FEA (we arrived halfway into the EMH) and then to The Land for breakfast. We planned to hop in line for Soarin after that but the wait time jumped and we decided to come back later. We were actually able to pick it up as a 4th FP.

Frozen ever after is easy to ride. just get in line @ 8:55pm. You will get through the line very quick because no more fast pass people get let in.

Exit Frozen about 9:30 and exit the park with low crowds.

We don't currently know how quick Skyliner will be. If popular, there might be a FAR longer wait to board over taking the bus. Though bus waits will always a bit variable. You might board bus right away or you might have to wait for a bus to arrive. I would guess though that the masses will want to take the new skyliner, and bus will be faster.

I suggest renting a scooter, even just for a day or two of your trip, especially your Epcot day. Otherwise, I'd likely incorporate a few shows. The Pixar films and Turtle Talk are both great! Mexico ride is also minimal wait. Snacking also =little breaks. Japan quick serve has a hidden garden and koi pond. The kids can watch koi while mom rests even you just stop to sip a funky Japanese soda bought in the gift shop. Oh, the little Japan museum also has seating.

2. I would NOT do Soarin' standby - ever! I'd only ever FP it. Even the FP wait is long. We have actually had good luck getting it as our 4th FP (or maybe it was our 5th). If you can't get a Soarin' FP at all on your 1st day - you also have high odds of being able to modify the tier 1 FP of your 2nd day, if you look that morning, and really want a Soarin' FP. Mom might prefer Soarin' over TT.

3. You will likely have to take what you are offered regarding FP your prebooked FP options. I mean it is impossible to know in advance what times you will be offered.

If you follow either of the plans you offer above, well, both basically = crisscrossing the park, no? Mind, if you want to do headliners early and with minimal wait times, walking across the park is the only way to do that. If you go say, from IG to FEA, then Mexico, then TT.. and ONLY keep walk to minimum, that likely = waiting in longer lines for the headliners. Personally, I think shorter lines are a better choice for maximizing energy over focusing only on minimizing walking, because standing in line on concrete is tiring.

It depends a little on your mom's pace and endurance.

It may be that she gets tired after just a few rides. If you don't want to rent a scooter, you can usually get a wheelchair for free, but then you have to push it. A scooter is well worth the $, even if you just get it for one day mid trip.

If so, it may be helpful if you are the one to operate it on the bus/monorail/skyliner. Parking scooters in tight spots can be tricky, frustrating, and embarrassing. Driving in open areas is much easier, and Epcot has wide paths. You can also often borrow them for free at big box stores before your trip to practice driving one.

Yes, getting a (4th) FP for characters is easy. Use your tier 1 options for the headliners. Even if you can't for some reason get a character FP, mom could easily find a place to sit near the Character spot if she's too tired. As I aid, we were also able to get 4th, 5th FP for most of the non-headliners like Nemo, Living with Land, Imagination. Use one of your pre-booked FP for SE though if you want to ride it. It is tier 2, but popular. (if it isn't in rehab on your dates). Nemo and Imagination standby were almost the same as the FP wait.

It may also be that a good option is to return to room mid afternoon, let mom/kids nap, then if she feels up to returning later, she can. If not, you and kids cover rides you didn't do in the morning. I've been to WDW with folks limited endurance and Epcot is always a bit tough. We ended up stopping often for 'snacks' as a save-face way to sit/rest for a bit.

I would not count on mom lasting until 8:55pm, as another poster suggested. I'd choose FEA as one of your pre-booked tier 1 FP's. Of all the Epcot FP, FEA is probably the hardest to get. If you see it, grab it.

Though odds are low that you will be offered a 9am FEA FP.

As I said above, most likely, you'll have to grab whichever FP you are offered.

Thanks so much for all the responses!

If I do #1, what time should I arrive at the International Gateway entrance to be walking to FEA as soon as they allow? Plan to be at Pop's transportation at 7:30? I've never done EMH, just a regular 9am RD.

You will get differing opinions on this. Some folks love to arrive well before the parks open. To me, waiting is waiting. I have arrived before the park gates open, and have found little benefit, unless it is a major holiday or a new ride is opening that day.

It takes a few minutes to get past security and the bag check, and to get your ticket scanned.

I'd probably allow 15 minutes before park opening for security/scan, but that = you will also be in the rush of folks entering at park opening.

If you happen to arrive just after that time, which is what we usually do, your mom might appreciate NOT being in the initial rush of folks headed that way. People can be quite aggressive! I say this as someone with very recent WDW RD experience!

Though as I said earlier, it is going to be tricky to time things exactly, ESPECIALLY if you opt to take the new Skyliner. I expect It will be popular, and new rides can be glitchy. When Test Track was new, it was famously down more than it was running. the new Hagrid's coaster at Universal is also having mechanical problems. While Skyliner is very new, WDW is likely to be very cautious.

I'd ask CM's at the Pop Skyliner station on your first day what kinds of waits they are seeing in the AM. They will likely be your most reliable source of information.

Alas, if you end up running behind or something, WDW also offers taxis, Uber/Lyft, and the new ($$)Minnie Vans. In a pinch, it doesn't cost much to take a taxi within WDW. If you wish to enter via the IG, the taxi would drop you off at the nearby Beach Club resort. (The front entrance taxi/Uber drop is very close to front gate. )

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the responses!

If I do #1, what time should I arrive at the International Gateway entrance to be walking to FEA as soon as they allow? Plan to be at Pop's transportation at 7:30? I've never done EMH, just a regular 9am RD.

Something I want to point out is that Soarin' is on the same side as IG while both TT and FEA are on the opposite side. You may want to consider doing an FP for Frozen then do EMH for Soarin' & TT if you want to minimize the walking back & forth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter