Epcot Flower and Garden Fest questions...

MAKHayes-DisneyDiva

DIS Veteran
Is the Flower and Garden Fest a bigger deal than it used to be?
Of my 4 trips to the world, 2 were during this time. I remember beautiful flowers and topiaries from my first trip, but I actually just thought Epcot was beautifully landscaped and had amazing gardens. The next trip- I don't remember the F&G Fest either! Last night I watched a podcast that was an F&G preview, and there were many extra food options, F&G themed souvineers, a logo, lots of signs...how did I miss this in March 2006 and March 2007??

About the special F&G food and beverages: self proclaimed Disney "expert" told me that you can't use cash or a credit card to buy these. I think she said there's a swipe card or something. True?

Is Epcot more crowded due to the Fest? Is is more crowded on the days when the evening concerts take place?

We'll be in the parks March 5-9, and the crowd calendars seemed to show moderate crowds.

There weren't always food stands during F&G, so you may have been there before they started. You certainly can use cash or credit for items at the booths.

I watched the preview also and was wondering why Steve and Craig bought gift cards? Are they just easier to use?

Gift cards are an easier way to control costs. You put a preset amount on a gift card and use it for all of your purchases. And by sheer will power you will stop spending when you use up the gift card (or leave all your cash and credit cards home, lol)
My DH and I tried something we never do this trip. We are DVC so we never use the DDP, but I purchased the quick service plan for this trip and we only used our snack credits for the F&G festival booths. It worked to control our costs, but overall I felt like we were holding back. Next trip (for F&WF) I am going to start buying gift cards now with whatever is left over at the end of my pay week (typically $25-$50 after the kids find some reason to fleece me) and combine them to one card before our trip, and use that to eat and drink our way around the world, and not walk away with a credit card charge as a souvenir.

The festival gift cards have become a sort of collectors item, they are really cute, also easier to use since you have them on your wrist, no need to take a card or cash out of purse or wallet. These are also reloadable and can be used anywhere else they accept gift card, not only during the festival
16999122_10212372123883971_3907705081907849360_n.jpg

Can you use a disney giftcard to pay for the festival giftcard?
You probably can, but why? Unless it's because you want to wear it on your wrist, otherwise it's just like exchanging a $10 bill for a $10 bill.

Yes, F&G has gotten larger over the years but they used to have F&G themed tshirts, pins, posters, mugs, etc.

We also purchase Disney Gift Cards at either Target (and save money using our Target CC) or through BJ's where they are a little less expensive. We then use these for all our eating around the world.

Just one note - if you want the Special F&G Gift Card - I do not believe you can use a Disney Gift Card to purchase them - but any Disney Gift Card will work.

Linda

I just returned from Disney yesterday and was at Epcot the first day of Flower & Garden. There are outdoor kitchens...I noticed most of the extra food stands in World Showcase and the park map lists out 15 stands. No signs indicated that you couldn't use cash, and the park map says, "Disney dining plans accepted. See menu boards for eligible snacks".

I had been during F & G before and only remember 2 places to buy specific F & G gifts. This year I noticed an additional place, and for the first time went in the Festival Center (near Universe of Energy). Lots of merch available, including by artisans (some are located in the park as well.)

Topiaries are as beautiful as always and about the same number as I've seen in previous visits.

Park was busy - I've been about 25 separate trips to DW (15 as an adult) and this was by far the busiest I have ever seen the parks. However, ride wait times weren't bad but there were lots of people on walkways and paths. To be fair, we normally plan to go at less busy times on purpose...because we went during Fat Tuesday/Start of Lent, schools in Louisiana and Alabama, etc. were out and there was a big Mardi Gras vibe in the parks.

Is the Flower and Garden Fest a bigger deal than it used to be?
Yes....and no.:)

The addition of the Garden Marketplaces(now called Outdoor Kitchens) in 2013 REALLY "Kicked things up a notch"!:)

BUT,the Flower Power(now Garden Rocks) Concerts went from 7 days a week to 3 days a week(they are currently 4 days a week) and the Festival Center has gone fro 7 days a week to 3 days a week.

Losing HGTV REALLY hurt the Festival!

Having said all that F&G is still my FAVORITE time of the year at Epcot by far!:)

Is there any way to purchase the orange flower and garden gift card before we leave for vacation to load it up at home and have it in advance?

There were not always food booths so you may have attended before they were added. Unless something has changed they take cash, credit cards, magic bands, and gift cards! It definitely attracts some people - we always plan a trip around F&G, but it's no where nearly as crowded as F&W.

Here's a video I did compiling all of our food/beverage reviews in 2016. Many are returning this year and it also might give you an idea of crowd levels.

Is there any way to purchase the orange flower and garden gift card before we leave for vacation to load it up at home and have it in advance?

I don't believe so but:

Can you use a disney giftcard to pay for the festival giftcard?

You can't use a gift card to buy a gift card. However, if you go to DisneyGiftCard.com you can combine gift cards onto one. So you could buy one of the wristlets for the minimum (I believe I read it is $15) and then log in to the website and combine the gift card you would have bought it with into that gift card. (Hopefully my wording makes sense)

I don't believe so but:

You can't use a gift card to buy a gift card. However, if you go to DisneyGiftCard.com you can combine gift cards onto one. So you could buy one of the wristlets for the minimum (I believe I read it is $15) and then log in to the website and combine the gift card you would have bought it with into that gift card. (Hopefully my wording makes sense)

Makes perfect sense! Thank you!

Hopefully, I'm reading the concert schedule correctly. This weekend it looks as if the concerts will also take place on Monday as well as the weekend, correct

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter