Epcot RD Procedures?

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
What are the opening procedures for Epcot these days (we haven't RDed there in 2 years)? Do they still let you go up to the innovations breezeways to wait for RD? If so, where is the rope for FEA? About what time do they let people into the park? Thanks.

The "rope" for all attractions will be the same location.

It can be
A. just before getting to the "under passageways" below SSE,
-or-
B. (as you mentioned) the area to the north of Fountain of Nations, just before the pass-throughs of Innoventions to the east and west FW attractions.

When they "drop the rope," guests will proceed to any and all of the open attractions (including FEA/Norway) at once.

What time do they open the gates?
Anybody's guess.

Be through security (which can be a chore to time)
and at the gates by 30-50 min. before posted opening time.

It's better to arrive far "too early,"
than it is to arrive one minute "too late."

Last edited:
The "rope" for all attractions will be the same location.

It can be
A. just before getting to the "under passageways" below SSE,
-or-
B. (as you mentioned) the area to the south of Fountain of Nations, just before the pass-throughs of Innoventions to the east and west FW attractions.

When they "drop the rope," guests will proceed to any and all of the open attractions (including FEA/Norway) at once.

What time do they open the gates?
Anybody's guess.

Be through security (which can be a chore to time)
and at the gates by 30-50 min. before posted opening time.

It's better to arrive far "too early,"
than it is to arrive one minute "too late."

I'm glad they still sometimes let people further into the park, rather than the hold right by SSE. I'd like to break up that walk to FEA. :rotfl2:

We rope-dropped EPCOT twice on our most recent trip (3/31 and 4/5), both days RD was in front of Spaceship Earth and the rope wasn't officially dropped until 0855 hrs. We made it to Test Track pretty quickly, but when we tried to RD FEA to ride it a second time on our trip, by the time we got back there the line was already close to an hour.

On our last trip (November) they held everyone just before Spaceship Earth. I'm not certain they do option B anymore...

We were let through the tapstiles around 8:45, and it was pretty close to 9:00 when the rope dropped. A nice steel drum band was playing to entertain everyone while we waited!

Ok. Looking like I need to prep the kids for a long walk. Thanks for the feedback from recent trips!
The reason I talked about the Fountain of Nations rope drop area is that they can use it if there are major crowds.
We are now entering a time which will see ever-increasing crowds.

So... you never know exactly WHAT will happen coming up.
Stay tuned.

RD at the IG in my experience is 9 am. They let you through the tapstiles and wait at the bridge between the UK and France. I have never been let in earlier and sometimes later than 9.

If you want to rope drop FEA then I would enter through the International Gateway. Get to the BW or YC/BC and walk over. It’s a 5 minute walk. Saves A LOT of steps!!

I really have to disagree with that method saving "a lot of steps."
It's virtually the same distance (maybe a bit more,) especially if you take into account the walking through the resort from the bus loading or parking lot
and then the walk to the IG area.
Then, the walk past UK, Canada, FW entrance area, Mexico, on to Norway.

DHS-Epcot-All_012311.jpg

Epcot-To-FEA-amp-Soarin_042618_zpsb0sqcsqp.jpg

Last edited:
I really have to disagree with that method saving "a lot of steps."
It's virtually the same distance (maybe a bt more,) especially if you take into account the walking through the resort from the bus loading or parking lot
and then the walk to the IG area.

Possibly but it’s a lot less steps from the IG to Norway than from the front entrance. Plus a lot less of a crowd to maneuver through. They’ll get to Norway a lot quicker from the IG!! Been doing it for 15 years staying at the BWV.

I RD’d Epcot this morning. Left my resort 7:18, was through bag check by 7:35. They opened the tapstiles at 8:30 and held us in front of SSE until 8:50. Was rising into the air on Soarin at 9:11

Possibly but it’s a lot less steps from the IG to Norway than from the front entrance. Plus a lot less of a crowd to maneuver through. They’ll get to Norway a lot quicker from the IG!! Been doing it for 15 years staying at the BWV.

That makes sense if you're staying Epcot area. We're staying at the Contemporary so the additional steps savings is not worth the additional hassle of getting to the boardwalk resorts.

We rope dropped FEA this past Monday 4/15. We had a later start than I had hope but it worked out fine. We got through security and ticket scan at 8:45am and got held right before SE until 8:55am. When we made it to FEA it was a 15 minute posted wait time but it was really a walk on.
We had a 11:30-12:30 test track fastpass and was able to add soarin as a 4th fastpass for 3:50-4:50. So doing all the Tier 1 rides in a day is definitely feasible.

We are going on May 15th, I have a FP for Test Track. Should we RD Soarin or FEA? (I have an almost 5 yo girl and 9 yo boy). Is there one we should head to and then the other? Thanks!

We are going on May 15th, I have a FP for Test Track. Should we RD Soarin or FEA? (I have an almost 5 yo girl and 9 yo boy). Is there one we should head to and then the other? Thanks!
I have an 8 year daughter and 10 year old son, we were at Epcot on 4/14 for illuminations and were able to book a soarin’ fastpass as our 7th fastpass of the day. We rope dropped Epcot on 4/15 and had a fastpass for TT. We went to FEA at rope drop with no wait and booked Soarin’ again as our 4th fastpass. So I would go to FEA first because Soarin was easy to get an additional fastpass for.

I agree with princess927 - it seems easier to get a rolling FP for soarin than FEA. At least that has been my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter