• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
Epcot has always been a struggle for little ones , that's exactly what they're trying to do but don't expect the party aspect to go away, if anything it's increasing. By them adding food and drinks to every festival they signal they make tons of money from it. Do you remember when flower and garden and the holidays didn't have food kiosks? Those are recent additions, maybe 5-10 years ago they figured out the potential money maker in adding food and wine to every festival.
EPCoT went from my favorite parks to my least favorite. It's become one big bar crawl with food booths cluttering the walkways. Once festivals become common, they're no longer special and people will see that. It's not a long term solution for this park.

Bob Chapek mentioned this the other day on the Q1 Earning Reporf that the current construction and attractions being built are to make EPCOT “more Disney and family friendly”. What does that mean? Isn’t what make EPCOT so special is because it is different from every Disney Theme Park? What is everyone’s else’s thoughts? I don’t want to see them dump a bunch of IP into the EPCOT and see it become like DCA a park that has no identity; a park that is is mish-mash of IP.

I'm honestly all for IP. That's what makes Disney "Disney" to us. I think Epcot can still maintain a unique feel, even with increased IP.

I loved Future World as a kid. I loved the hydrolators at Living Seas, the leaping fountains, the whole Imagination pavilion (miss that tunnel!), the version of Illuminations before Reflections of Earth, the choose your own adventure aspect of Horizons.

As a little kid I remember dreading World Showcase (except for Maelstrom and El Rio del Tiempo). Then on one trip my parents gave me Disney dollars specifically to spend on little trinkets or treats as we explored around the world. I started paying attention and finding aspects of each pavilion that I loved - I grew a real appreciation for World Showcase - the theming, sights and sounds, talking to CMs there, etc. I loved Epcot, and still do.

The Epcot of old could not exist today. I accept the fact that it needs to change. My mind is open. I liked the Living Seas as a kid but my kids LOVE the Nemo ride and we go on it 3 or 4 times a trip. I know my kids will not grow up with the same Epcot I did, but they already love it and I think they will love it more with each new addition. They will not be constantly comparing it to the past.

I personally don't care if Future World -- if it's even called that anymore -- becomes more Disney. It was a mostly soulless concrete wasteland. The changes look to be making it much better.

But I'm not a fan of pushing IP into the World Showcase. That is my favorite part of Disney World, and it is supposed to be about celebrating the culture of other countries --- not marketing movies that may or may not be vaguely associated with other countries. Sigh.

I don't know...Ratatouille and the added expansion seem like a perfect fit for France! It looks like it belonged there all along.

I can't wait to see how they try to make GoTG mesh with Future World. 😂 But honestly, if the ride is fun, who cares!

I personally don't care if Future World -- if it's even called that anymore -- becomes more Disney. It was a mostly soulless concrete wasteland. The changes look to be making it much better.

But I'm not a fan of pushing IP into the World Showcase. That is my favorite part of Disney World, and it is supposed to be about celebrating the culture of other countries --- not marketing movies that may or may not be vaguely associated with other countries. Sigh.

That is interesting. I love “old Epcot,” and loved El Rio del Tiempo but would absolutely LOVE Coco to replace Three Caballeros 🤷🏻‍♀️

That is interesting. I love “old Epcot,” and loved El Rio del Tiempo but would absolutely LOVE Coco to replace Three Caballeros 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sigh, that would be so amazing. Talk about another perfect fit...

World Showcase was also meant to be a travel advertisement for the respective countries. Seemed neat back in the 80s, but now not really necessary with the internet.
So I see no harm adding IP when/if it fits in a country while still showcasing the culture through the food, shops, exhibits, etc.

Yes but it could be someone else's nostalgia now.

Exactly. I am nostalgic for Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride because that’s what I grew up with.

Now it’s Pooh. If/when they ever change Pooh to something else, my kids will be nostalgic for Pooh - one of their very favorite rides at MK.

While there are many things I love and truly miss from the parks from when I was growing up, I think it is exciting to watch the parks evolve. There are many things they have added or changed over time that I think have made a positive difference. Doesn’t mean I don’t miss the old favorites!

I don't know...Ratatouille and the added expansion seem like a perfect fit for France! It looks like it belonged there all along.
I actually mostly agree with that. The France expansion looks perfect. And I'm not truly opposed to including IP in the World Showcase if it is done well and it really fits -- like Ratatouille and perhaps Coco replacing Three Caballeros. I just think that the Frozen makeover of Norway was a travesty. And I worry that we may see more of that as Disney tries to cram square pegs in round holes. (Aladdin in Morocco?)

I also was a big fan of Agent P, and I am hopeful about Ducktales. That's a great way to provide quality entertainment for the kids (with IP tie-in) without compromising the feel of the park.

I actually mostly agree with that. The France expansion looks perfect. And I'm not truly opposed to including IP in the World Showcase if it is done well and it really fits -- like Ratatouille and perhaps Coco replacing Three Caballeros. I just think that the Frozen makeover of Norway was a travesty. And I worry that we may see more of that as Disney tries to cram square pegs in round holes. (Aladdin in Morocco?)

I also was a big fan of Agent P, and I am hopeful about Ducktales. That's a great way to provide quality entertainment for the kids (with IP tie-in) without compromising the feel of the park.
But was Maelstrom popular? I would hear people come off the ride and say "that's it? " That ride never had a long line now look at it.
We all miss Disney from our first visits but it wasd never meant to stay the same, the faster everyone acknowledges and accepts this the more you'll enjoy the changes

To lament a particular change is not to insist that Disney must always stay the same in all respects. Boards like this give us a chance to express our opinions about the changes, pro or con. I expect that I am like most in that I miss some things that are gone, and not others. I certainly understand that change is inevitable, and that progress is good. I love most of the new rides and attractions, don't miss many of the old ones, and greatly look forward to the additions on the horizon.

In my opinion, Maelstrom was kind of a hot mess and Frozen Ever After is probably a better ride. It's certainly a more popular one. But changing the Norway pavilion into a celebration of a fictional country was, to me, a shame. Norway is a real place -- fascinating and beautiful. Maelstrom tried, however imperfectly, to capture its past, its present, and its mythology. I would have much rather seen a makeover than a replacement. I would be all for a Frozen Land in DHS; I just don't like the repurposing of the World Showcase.

I'm fully aware that that's a quirky view. The crowds have spoken, and Disney has heard them. Which is why, I suspect, we will see more changes like that one going forward. But I know I'm not alone in lamenting this particular development.

Disney dismisses nostalgia at its own risk. Change is inevitable and good. But not all changes are necessarily good ones.

Last edited:
But was Maelstrom popular? I would hear people come off the ride and say "that's it? " That ride never had a long line now look at it.
We all miss Disney from our first visits but it wasd never meant to stay the same, the faster everyone acknowledges and accepts this the more you'll enjoy the changes
It wasn’t popular, it was usually a walk on. Most people would also skip the post ride movie. It’s the same situation as Ellen’s Energy Adventure and Great Movie Ride. They didn’t draw people so they got replaced with something that will.

I started visiting EP in the late 80's and, as PP's pointed out, we could never go back to that iteration of the park. The original concept for EP evolved into something completely different even before it ever opened. I have amazingly fond memories of visiting the original EP, but I've also enjoyed all of the new things that have been built throughout the years. I also have incredible memories and am so happy my DS was young when Innoventions was still operational and he got to enjoy all of those hands-on activities. I'm ok with EP evolving and changing. It's kind of fun to see the changes take place, see the Imagineers minds at work and I don't mind the IP. I would like to see less of a party atmosphere and some more hands-on activities introduced. I can't imagine my DS was the only kid who would rather play the Great Piggy Bank Adventure multiple times than sit on Spaceship Earth?

I started visiting EP in the late 80's and, as PP's pointed out, we could never go back to that iteration of the park. The original concept for EP evolved into something completely different even before it ever opened. I have amazingly fond memories of visiting the original EP, but I've also enjoyed all of the new things that have been built throughout the years. I also have incredible memories and am so happy my DS was young when Innoventions was still operational and he got to enjoy all of those hands-on activities. I'm ok with EP evolving and changing. It's kind of fun to see the changes take place, see the Imagineers minds at work and I don't mind the IP. I would like to see less of a party atmosphere and some more hands-on activities introduced. I can't imagine my DS was the only kid who would rather play the Great Piggy Bank Adventure multiple times than sit on Spaceship Earth?

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 ...Especially that last part.

Bob Chapek mentioned this the other day on the Q1 Earning Reporf that the current construction and attractions being built are to make EPCOT “more Disney and family friendly”. What does that mean? Isn’t what make EPCOT so special is because it is different from every Disney Theme Park? What is everyone’s else’s thoughts? I don’t want to see them dump a bunch of IP into the EPCOT and see it become like DCA a park that has no identity; a park that is is mish-mash of IP.
It means getting rid of giant, abandoned concrete buildings and putting in more attractions and interesting spaces.

It means being less reliant on "drinking around the world" and festivals to attract crowds.

When all the guests are carrying around smartphones that far surpass anything in the "community of tomorrow" it's a problem for the theme.

Disney let EPCOT get stale over the years and is finally investing to bring it back.

How you shape the park to make it interesting and attract fresh crowds is a challenge for Disney. The other parks have much more clear themes to follow.

I would be happy to just see lots of new, interesting attractions and keep the countries about the same. If you are going for a "future" theme, you have to keep it updated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter