EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
The use of IP might make sense for TWDC, especially when Star Wars and Marvel can bring in a new type of customer....someone who might not have considered a WDW vacation in the past. But, IMO, using non-Disney created IP makes the park LESS Disney, not MORE Disney.
What do you mean by non-Disney created? Disney didn't create Star Wars or Marvel, and was not the main creator of Toy Story. Disney did create Figment and Illuminations (IMHO, Illuminations was the most "Disney" thing in any of the parks because it showed pure original story telling with extremely good execution, something I would not expect to see anywhere else. I don't need to hear A Whole New World to "feel" Disney).

I actually really liked Epcot when I went as a kid, maybe better than MK. This was 1987 or so, so it was classic Future World. Really, I think The Living Seas and Horizons did it for me. I alwyas loves sci-tech and space and such. Space Mountian was my favorite thing overall though. Something like Mission: SPACE would've blown my mind as a kid with all the buttons and switches to play with - then again, I like to play with them now. 😁 I think the assumption that kids won't like Epcot is definitely off-base. Kids can like all kinds of things!

Yes! Our son loved Epcot when he was little, and that hasn't changed. The first time we took him he was five and I wasn't sure how he'd react, but he had a blast. He loved all of the rides in FW, but also really enjoyed just hanging out in the WS. Until we bought into DVC a couple of years ago we always stayed at the Yacht Club for the easy access to Epcot and DHS as that was where we spent the majority of our time.

I kind of shake my head at all of the "kids hate Epcot" posts. While some might not be crazy about it, many actually love it. Everyone's different.

All that being said, I'm not adverse to Disney adding in some IP to spice things up. Though I'm still in the Maelstrom > Frozen camp and that's not going to change :goodvibes.

Last edited:
Yes! Our son loved Epcot when he was little, and that hasn't changed. The first time we took him he was five and I wasn't sure how he'd react, but he had a blast. He loved all of the rides in FW, but also really enjoyed just hanging out in the WS. Until we bought into DVC a couple of years ago we always stayed at the Yacht Club for the easy access to Epcot and DHS as that was where we spent the majority of our time.

I kind of shake my head at all of the "kids hate Epcot" posts. While some might not be crazy about it, many actually love it. Everyone's different.

I will say, I did NOT really appreciate World Showcase as a kid. That was like the worst part of the day!

What do you mean by non-Disney created? Disney didn't create Star Wars or Marvel, and was not the main creator of Toy Story. Disney did create Figment and Illuminations (IMHO, Illuminations was the most "Disney" thing in any of the parks because it showed pure original story telling with extremely good execution, something I would not expect to see anywhere else. I don't need to hear A Whole New World to "feel" Disney).

Yes, I'm saying that Disney didn't create Star Wars, TS or Marvel, so buying the rights and putting the characters in the park would make it LESS Disney. However, since I'm trying to be more realistic in my expectations from WDW, I am also admitting that some people are happy about SWGE, etc. While I am not one of them, I'm sure that the appeal is bringing in new crowds. I am generally against IP at the parks.

Instead of doing drinking around the world, we tried doing candy around the world with our kids and having them document what they tried in a little notebook. It was surprisingly hard to find candy in some countries. I wish they had a passport of sorts... you could pay ahead and go collect the treats and maybe learn something about the country... like why Canada’s offerings are all maple-flavored. :rotfl:

We have been to Disney parks worldwide a dozen times, including 3 to WDW. We always have a 5 day pass which means double up on one park, usually it has been Animal Kingdom.
This year (daughter just turned double digits) husband and daughter are insisting on going to Epcot twice.
Him for the flowers and food and her for the worldwide exploration. And Elsa. Go figure. I do like Soaring and the variety of cultures.
So I am here to say Epcot Classic still appeals to many for different reasons. Gotta appreciate it while it lasts. Cause tomorrow is a whole new world.

Also, what is IP? Imagineering?? :)

We have been to Disney parks worldwide a dozen times, including 3 to WDW. We always have a 5 day pass which means double up on one park, usually it has been Animal Kingdom.
This year (daughter just turned double digits) husband and daughter are insisting on going to Epcot twice.
Him for the flowers and food and her for the worldwide exploration. And Elsa. Go figure. I do like Soaring and the variety of cultures.
So I am here to say Epcot Classic still appeals to many for different reasons. Gotta appreciate it while it lasts. Cause tomorrow is a whole new world.

Also, what is IP? Imagineering?? :)
Intellectual Property i.e. Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, etc

My nephew's first trip was in 2019 when he was 5 and we avoided Epcot until the last day because we thought it had the least that would interest him. It wound up being his favorite day, he loved all the Kidcot stations. He was uncertain of most rides, I think we traumatized him a little going on 7DMT first.
I Think Epcot should have more hands on activities with cast members to keep the kiddos more engaged. I see some kids have more fun engaging with cast members than they do on the rides

Instead of doing drinking around the world, we tried doing candy around the world with our kids and having them document what they tried in a little notebook. It was surprisingly hard to find candy in some countries. I wish they had a passport of sorts... you could pay ahead and go collect the treats and maybe learn something about the country... like why Canada’s offerings are all maple-flavored. :rotfl:

That is a really good idea! I could even see adults with a sweet tooth participating.

On our last trip, right before we left Epcot, my daughter wanted to fill out her passport with all the countries in the World Showcase. We had already visited all the countries, but she didn't have her passport until right before the end.

So while my wife and son waited for us in the now-demolished rest area in Future World West, my daughter and I started in Mexico and did a quick walk around the world. I wasn't worried too much about stopping and spending time, since we had done that already. We made a "Walk Around the World" in 45 minutes, and got all the countries covered!

That is actually one of my favorite memories.

Ignore the threadjack but I keep thinking about Wandavision and HS 50’s Primetime Cafe.
Oh man....I’m loving that idea! I like the idea of Epcot, and if it was like $20 for a ticket, it’d be awesome. But it just feels like a “rest” day, not a “$100 worth of entertainment day” to me. (Yes, multi-day tickets...cheaper per day....etc)

I will say, I did NOT really appreciate World Showcase as a kid. That was like the worst part of the day!

That was essentially the torture I had to go through with my parents so I could get a full day at MK as a child. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter