• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
Sorry, I do. Even on this board there is quite a bit of discussion on "Drinking Around The World". It's been dismissed as, "That's what college students do". I don't understand how you have to be under the influence to enjoy Disney.

I'm a non-drinker and I really don't get the appeal of alcohol at all - however I also haven't witnessed a lot of bad behavior due to excessive drinking at Epcot. Some people act like it's a wild frat-party every weekend at Food & Wine and now other festivals (which are like all the time). I just don't see it. Are there some bad actors who have too many and try to climb the pyramid? Sure - it happens, but not to such an extent that the place feels like a bar scene. Now, Halloween Horror Nights? THAT felt like a bar scene.

Instead of doing drinking around the world, we tried doing candy around the world with our kids and having them document what they tried in a little notebook. It was surprisingly hard to find candy in some countries. I wish they had a passport of sorts... you could pay ahead and go collect the treats and maybe learn something about the country... like why Canada’s offerings are all maple-flavored. :rotfl:
This is a really neat idea.

Sorry, I do. Even on this board there is quite a bit of discussion on "Drinking Around The World". It's been dismissed as, "That's what college students do". I don't understand how you have to be under the influence to enjoy Disney.

Not just college students drink around the world. The first time I did was with my family (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins) and we had a great time. I've also done it a couple times in my later 20s and early 30s with my sister and some friends. Nobody has ever vomited in the park or done anything inappropriate.
I enjoy Disney. I enjoy good drinks. I don't see why people hate that other people enjoy them together.

Perhaps its because I never went to WDW as a child (we couldn't afford it), but I don't mind Frozen in Norway, Ratatouille in France, or Donald Duck in Mexico. I wouldn't really mind Jasmine and Aladdin in Morocco.
(Yes, I realize this is an unpopular opinion.)

I think incorporating its IP into the various showcases is an excellent way to make the showcases more palatable to those who aren't really interested in other cultures (ie children). It would certainly give me a bit of respite from the "how long to we have to stay here?" while I'm looking at the Stave Church.
Also, the characters that are created with aspects of these various cultures can be an excellent bridge to a child's interest in the culture. That interest can evolve over time to a more genuine interest. Where a child might not give a second look in the direction of the Norway Pavilion, the Frozen features gets them there (willingly).

I've noticed a change in my oldest over the course of our three WDW trips. On the first trip, she was 5. It was princesses, princesses, princesses. A few of the tamer rides. She was beyond bored when we took a few minutes to look at the various cultural aspects of the World Showcase. On our most recent trip (age 9 at the time), she still wanted to see princesses and ride rides, but she also commented on the differences of the countries, as well as what she liked and disliked about each showcase.

Perhaps its because I never went to WDW as a child (we couldn't afford it), but I don't mind Frozen in Norway, Ratatouille in France, or Donald Duck in Mexico. I wouldn't really mind Jasmine and Aladdin in Morocco.

I don't mind it either. I wouldn't really want Aladdin in Morocco though bceause, while there are similarities, Morocco is not the same as Persia. We tend to lump it in, but it's really not. I really liked Maelstrom, but I was impressed with FEA and felt that they did a great job with it. For me, I really don't care if it's an IP or not - as long as it is well done then I am fine with it.

I think incorporating its IP into the various showcases is an excellent way to make the showcases more palatable to those who aren't really interested in other cultures (ie children). It would certainly give me a bit of respite from the "how long to we have to stay here?" while I'm looking at the Stave Church.
Also, the characters that are created with aspects of these various cultures can be an excellent bridge to a child's interest in the culture. That interest can evolve over time to a more genuine interest. Where a child might not give a second look in the direction of the Norway Pavilion, the Frozen features gets them there (willingly).

I've noticed a change in my oldest over the course of our three WDW trips. On the first trip, she was 5. It was princesses, princesses, princesses. A few of the tamer rides. She was beyond bored when we took a few minutes to look at the various cultural aspects of the World Showcase. On our most recent trip (age 9 at the time), she still wanted to see princesses and ride rides, but she also commented on the differences of the countries, as well as what she liked and disliked about each showcase.

I loved Figment, but my concern with too much IP in the WS is that it feels like they're going to be making the international cast members into actors in the story, as opposed to just people from other cultures that are selling us beer and trolls.

That may sound like a silly or simplistic difference, but it was one of the things I kind of liked as a kid, and continued into adulthood.

Full disclosure...I'm a nerd, and always gave a Valentine's Card to the school librarian, so maybe I enjoyed the learning-ish vs sheer entertainment side a bit too much.

I think of Epcot’s value in terms of edutainment and the need to plant seeds for tomorrow.
So it is the constant work of drawing conversations and engagement with embracing cultural studies and sustainable practices. If that means Minnie in a gardening outfit, then so be it. In my idealistic hopeful mind, I want the intent to instill making the world a better place.

I don't mind it either. I wouldn't really want Aladdin in Morocco though bceause, while there are similarities, Morocco is not the same as Persia. We tend to lump it in, but it's really not. I really liked Maelstrom, but I was impressed with FEA and felt that they did a great job with it. For me, I really don't care if it's an IP or not - as long as it is well done then I am fine with it.
I was thinking along these lines also because there was a Jasmine and Aladdin meet-and-greet here when we went in July 2019. You make an excellent point about there being a vast difference between these two cultures--thank you for that. I suppose Morocco has about as much in common with Persia as Sweden would have with Romania.

I was thinking along these lines also because there was a Jasmine and Aladdin meet-and-greet here when we went in July 2019. You make an excellent point about there being a vast difference between these two cultures--thank you for that. I suppose Morocco has about as much in common with Persia as Sweden would have with Romania.

Yeah, they did have Aladdin there, but I kinda feel it's not quite accurate. Morocco is hard too for like an attraction because there are restrictions on the lighting and such for religious reasons - that's why it didn't light up during Illuminations. They would have to work around that to add an IP, and I'm really not sure which IP would work there.

Yeah, they did have Aladdin there, but I kinda feel it's not quite accurate. Morocco is hard too for like an attraction because there are restrictions on the lighting and such for religious reasons - that's why it didn't light up during Illuminations. They would have to work around that to add an IP, and I'm really not sure which IP would work there.
Do those restrictions even still apply since Disney took over the pavilion?

Do those restrictions even still apply since Disney took over the pavilion?

Well, perhaps not contractually, but I would hope that they would still be culturally senstitive to something like that. I am not sure on specifics, but it has something to do with lights on the minarets directly. They can probably work around it, but it depends.

I loved Figment, but my concern with too much IP in the WS is that it feels like they're going to be making the international cast members into actors in the story, as opposed to just people from other cultures that are selling us beer and trolls.

That may sound like a silly or simplistic difference, but it was one of the things I kind of liked as a kid, and continued into adulthood.

Full disclosure...I'm a nerd, and always gave a Valentine's Card to the school librarian, so maybe I enjoyed the learning-ish vs sheer entertainment side a bit too much.
I think of Epcot’s value in terms of edutainment and the need to plant seeds for tomorrow.
So it is the constant work of drawing conversations and engagement with embracing cultural studies and sustainable practices. If that means Minnie in a gardening outfit, then so be it. In my idealistic hopeful mind, I want the intent to instill making the world a better place.

You two make good points! :D:D

There's a difference between...

IP that draws people in and introduces people (kids, especially) to something new and different, like a foreign country

...and...

IP that distracts from something that people haven't been introduced to before and, therefore, might not know they'd enjoy.

IOW, I'd like the Imagineers to create fun attractions that attract people into all the different areas of Epcot, sparking their interest and imagination. I can see that's been needed for a while. For the same reason I hope they bring back street entertainers from the different cultures and Kidcot.

I don't think that's true.

I don't think you need to view it as "a huge problem" to prefer all the Disney parks to have more of a family atmosphere and the "drinking around the world" culture does affect this.
So from your perspective what would you say needs to be addressed when it comes to consumption of adult beverages?

So from your perspective what would you say needs to be addressed when it comes to consumption of adult beverages?

From my perspective: a different approach from Disney regarding the sale and consumption of alcohol effecting a different trend amongst Guests.

Currently, in Epcot, it's sold the same way food and treats are. I'd just say dial that back a bit.

Maybe it means serving alcohol only in sit-down venues -- or maybe not! I don't think a cap on purchases is the only/whole answer. I think it requires a change in culture, which would start with Disney.

I think it's possible to change without necessarily removing alcohol completely; it just needs a bit of creative thinking.

Well, perhaps not contractually, but I would hope that they would still be culturally senstitive to something like that. I am not sure on specifics, but it has something to do with lights on the minarets directly. They can probably work around it, but it depends.

this is my concern with adding too much IP.

at what point is someone else’s culture just a “movie”.

right now the kids understand the world showcase and that these are cultures and different places in the world. Too much IP and this will become difficult for children to distinguish real from ‘disney’.

this is my concern with adding too much IP.

at what point is someone else’s culture just a “movie”.

right now the kids understand the world showcase and that these are cultures and different places in the world. Too much IP and this will become difficult for children to distinguish real from ‘disney’.

It's definitely a balancing act. Some IP fits very well into a country because it is based on a traditional story, like Mulan for instance. Of course, the "Disnified" version is not always super-accurate, historically or culturally, so, you know. It's a little like Frozen being in Norway - and I like FEA - but Frozen doesn't take place in Norway, it takes palce in Arendelle. Now, Arendelle is heavily evocative of Norway, but it's not the same. Even the story it is loosely based on was by a Danish author - and while it's all pretty similar, I'm sure people from those cultures do see a difference. You may as well say Tangled takes place in Spain too.

But, you know, I don't tend to eb too hard on that kind of stuff. It's a theme park - as long as it "works" somewhat. Did Monster's Inc. really belong in Tomorrowland? Ehh, maybe not, but I still enjoyed the show.

From my perspective: a different approach from Disney regarding the sale and consumption of alcohol effecting a different trend amongst Guests.

Currently, in Epcot, it's sold the same way food and treats are. I'd just say dial that back a bit.

Maybe it means serving alcohol only in sit-down venues -- or maybe not! I don't think a cap on purchases is the only/whole answer. I think it requires a change in culture, which would start with Disney.

I think it's possible to change without necessarily removing alcohol completely; it just needs a bit of creative thinking.
I agree completely. I partake in drinks once in a while so I can appreciate your perspective. I also believe the issues people have seen in the parks with people over-indulging is what WD feared and hence why DL never will have alcohol served in it to the public. I have seen in DCA a few drunk people and it definitely ruins the atmosphere of a Disney park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter