• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
On a different note, I'm glad MouseGear still lives.

But I've lost track of what happened to the jumping fountains???

My kids loved those fountains. They would always try to trick me....."Hey, stand here for a minute...." I "fell for it" all the time.

Speaking of fountains, I always thought that the Fountain of Nations was so cool. I don't know how many countries were represented, but on opening day, people from all around the world poured in water from their home countries. To me, this is what makes Epcot 'Disney'. Purchasing an existing franchise, filling the park with the IP and calling it Disney isn't super exciting for me.

Argh, I started out sounding so positive and then went into a negative. Well, I think I did here that they are taking the water from that fountain and re-using it???

So it’s been awhile since I have been to EPCOT but is the coke place gone now?

My kids loved those fountains. They would always try to trick me....."Hey, stand here for a minute...." I "fell for it" all the time.

Speaking of fountains, I always thought that the Fountain of Nations was so cool. I don't know how many countries were represented, but on opening day, people from all around the world poured in water from their home countries. To me, this is what makes Epcot 'Disney'. Purchasing an existing franchise, filling the park with the IP and calling it Disney isn't super exciting for me.

Argh, I started out sounding so positive and then went into a negative. Well, I think I did here that they are taking the water from that fountain and re-using it???

Your kids sound great! I bet it's the kind of Disney memory they'll hold onto for a long time.. Shame you got a bit wet! ;);)

I didn't know that about the Fountain of Nations. :thumbsup2 Very cool. I wonder if they will reuse the water. I agree that's exactly the kind of thing that made/makes Disney so special. I also agree it'd be a shame if it ended up being only about purchasing existing franchises instead.

...........But I'm holding out hope that, in making such big changes at Epcot, they will create new attractions (big and small) of the unique Epcot/Disney kind, alongside any new IP.

Totally understand the positive/negative thing, btw - it's such a mixed bag to comment on in the first place.

Last edited:

Here is a pic of the Fountain of Nations ceremony (I think). Sometimes change is difficult. I'm trying to be more reasonable, but when you enjoy something so much, it's hard to know how the changes will affect it. It's all so personal. Each of us have different memories. There is a little bathroom that is between the Canada and UK pavilions that we would be sad to see go because, for what-ever reason, we always point it out when we walk by. It became a thing, and I'm not even sure why it started.

View attachment 558905

Here is a pic of the Fountain of Nations ceremony (I think). Sometimes change is difficult. I'm trying to be more reasonable, but when you enjoy something so much, it's hard to know how the changes will affect it. It's all so personal. Each of us have different memories. There is a little bathroom that is between the Canada and UK pavilions that we would be sad to see go because, for what-ever reason, we always point it out when we walk by. It became a thing, and I'm not even sure why it started.
Yeah nostalgia sucks because it is hard to let go. And someone may never understand why it is or was special to you.

I heard that there was going to be a 'flight' of sodas that you can buy with each drink somewhere in DS. Or was that just something I thought up one day.......Hmmm. Not sure.

Your kids sound great! I bet it's the kind of Disney memory they'll hold onto for a long time.. Shame you got a bit wet! ;);)

I didn't know that about the Fountain of Nations. :thumbsup2 Very cool. I wonder if they will reuse the water. I agree that's exactly the kind of thing that made/makes Disney so special. I also agree it'd be a shame if it ended up being only about purchasing existing franchises instead.

...........But I'm holding out hope that, in making such big changes at Epcot, they will create new attractions (big and small) of the unique Epcot/Disney kind, alongside any new IP.

Totally understand the positive/negative thing, btw - it's such a mixed bag to comment on in the first place.
FYI... The jumping water is still there, just turned off. I'm told it's due to Covid. Budozing FoN was a big loss for EPoT Center. But, hey, we're getting giant tacos in the WS lagoon!

So Disney did the same thing with DCA, and I thought I would hate it and miss the old park. I turned out really liking it more than the original. Epcot is my favorite East Coast park, and I am excited about the changes to come. I think most people will prefer the updates after everything is completed.

So Disney did the same thing with DCA, and I thought I would hate it and miss the old park. I turned out really liking it more than the original. Epcot is my favorite East Coast park, and I am excited about the changes to come. I think most people will prefer the updates after everything is completed.
DCA may be better than it was opening day I feel it has lost its identity as a park.

Oh, DCA was much improved by being "Disnified." I never went to the old park but heard such bad things. When I finally got out to DLR I found myself wondering what people had hated about DCA because it was pretty amazing to me. I looked later and watched some videos of Superstar Limo and I understood.

We have a lot of fun! We're all dry now, but yes, the memories last a lot longer.

Yeah nostalgia sucks because it is hard to let go. And someone may never understand why it is or was special to you.

Yes, it's hard to explain why a re-theme on a bathroom would make me sad. Sometimes, I re-read my posts and I sound like an old curmudgeon shaking my fist at the kids on my lawn. I just want everything like it was on our first trip. (Selfish much??) I can't think of one thing I would change. And, even then, IP was incorporated into my experience, but for some reason I didn't mind as much. When I first heard about SWGE, I was concerned. Mostly that funding would be shifted towards shiny new simulator rides and away from things that made WDW special to us. I often feel that if our last trip was our first trip, I don't know if we would have become regulars. It would have been a great time, but, there was something special about the place we chose that year. Maybe the parks changed too much or maybe I changed too much. But, I don't have much interest in 'theme parks.' Which is what I think of when I think about purchased IP.

Oh, DCA was much improved by being "Disnified." I never went to the old park but heard such bad things. When I finally got out to DLR I found myself wondering what people had hated about DCA because it was pretty amazing to me. I looked later and watched some videos of Superstar Limo and I understood.
Okay we will trade DCA for EPCOT you can have it. We will even throw in a parking structure

Okay we will trade DCA for EPCOT you can have it. We will even throw in a parking structure

Hey, I try to visit both frequently, so no trading with me. I like DCA tons though. I'd trade all of it thoguh I think for Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, but nobody's taking that deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter