EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
With the removal of Innoventions West, is anyone else bothered by the new lack of symmetry in Epcot's Future World? Perhaps it's just me, because I grew up with the notion of Innoventions East and West essentially being mirror images of one another. But now, in both the concept art and the aerial photos, it just looks ... off. Like there's something missing (something bigger than a festival area or a Moana play space.) I think the lack of symmetry is exacerbated by the continued presence of the circular Monorail track, which encircles the area.

Perhaps it's just my OCD. Perhaps new visitors, who never knew the original design, won't see anything amiss. But I am having trouble getting used to the optics.

With the removal of Innoventions West, is anyone else bothered by the new lack of symmetry in Epcot's Future World? Perhaps it's just me, because I grew up with the notion of Innoventions East and West essentially being mirror images of one another. But now, in both the concept art and the aerial photos, it just looks ... off. Like there's something missing (something bigger than a festival area or a Moana play space.) I think the lack of symmetry is exacerbated by the continued presence of the circular Monorail track, which encircles the area.

Perhaps it's just my OCD. Perhaps new visitors, who never knew the original design, won't see anything amiss. But I am having trouble getting used to the optics.

Me. The barges in the lagoon being off-center annoys me, too.

I think there's a line for putting IP specifically in to World Showcase, but I don't think Disney has come close to that line yet. It still gives off the World's Fair vibe that it was originally designed to. The giant Harmonious barges are more of an issue for me than a Frozen ride in Norway.
to be fair, the harmonious barges are fairly ugly lol I'm excited to see what they look like lit up at night

I don't get why people complain about IP in the theme parks? it's a THEME park called DISNEY WORLD literally a world filled with Disney...
Because Disney is more than just movies. Imagineering once had creative freedom to bring the cardinal realms of imagination to life. Without this creative freedom there's no Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Nature's Wonderland, Adventure Thru Inner Space, Horizons, Alien Encounter, It's a Small World and other iconic attractions. When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, it was and may still be the best thing that Disney ever created and was an IP-free zone with all original attractions. Originality sets Disney apart from the competition and gives the parks unique identities. I don't want to see the same thing in Disney parks and have every park treated like another Magic Kingdom. I've never felt cheated by the lack of IP in a park. It's not like anyone stayed away from Disney because of lack of IP and it's not like removing IP for original attractions would scare guests away. I'm against corporate synergy and everything it stands for. Honestly, Disney should be keeping the parks and studios separate from each other. Yes, there's been IP since the beginning with Disneyland and Magic Kingdom but there's the keyword that Disney has forgotten: Balance. The parks are not Disney IP halls of fame and never will be.

Last edited:
Because Disney is more than just movies. Imagineering once had creative freedom to bring the cardinal realms of imagination to life. Without this creative freedom there's no Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Nature's Wonderland, Adventure Thru Inner Space, Horizons, Alien Encounter, It's a Small World and other iconic attractions. When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, it was and may still be the best thing that Disney ever created and was an IP-free zone with all original attractions. Originality sets Disney apart from the competition and gives the parks unique identities. I don't want to see the same thing in Disney parks and have every park treated like another Magic Kingdom. I've never felt cheated by the lack of IP in a park. It's not like anyone stayed away from Disney because of lack of IP and it's not like removing IP for original attractions would scare guests away. I'm against corporate synergy and everything it stands for. Honestly, Disney should be keeping the parks and studios separate from each other. Yes, there's been IP since the beginning with Disneyland and Magic Kingdom but there's the keyword that Disney has forgotten: Balance. The parks are not Disney IP halls of fame and never will be.

Under the Bob's leadership the parks primary function is to push Disney's latest hot IP, With a secondary function of being a mall with a cover charge. Thematic integrity 'poof' gone the parks we loved are now just advertising vehicles.

I don't get why people complain about IP in the theme parks? it's a THEME park called DISNEY WORLD literally a world filled with Disney...

It's really a less-is-more type of thing. The expense of adding it could easily be better spent elsewhere too, and if they're concerned about park attendance then adding characters to good attractions that don't currently have characters isn't the ticket.

They would be better off just opening things that are usually closed.

I can recall going to Epcot the first year it opened and we were somewhat disappointed. Frankly, if you didn't want to eat or shop, there wasn't much else to do there. Over the years they have added rides and shows, but I think Disney still struggles with the specific niche Epcot is supposed to fill. We still wouldn't travel a long distance just to go to Epcot and it tends to be another of the parks we visit when at Disney.

I can recall going to Epcot the first year it opened and we were somewhat disappointed. Frankly, if you didn't want to eat or shop, there wasn't much else to do there. Over the years they have added rides and shows, but I think Disney still struggles with the specific niche Epcot is supposed to fill. We still wouldn't travel a long distance just to go to Epcot and it tends to be another of the parks we visit when at Disney.
honestly I think the concept of what Epcot was meant to be died with Walt and I suspect it would be MUCH different than the Epcot we know today had he lived to supervise its construction.

honestly I think the concept of what Epcot was meant to be died with Walt and I suspect it would be MUCH different than the Epcot we know today had he lived to supervise its construction.
It wouldn’t be a theme park that is for sure. The community vision of EPCOT may of not even survived being how Walt wanted control of everyone who lived in EPCOTs lives. Might of turned out like the 1941 Animators Strike for him.

It wouldn’t be a theme park that is for sure. The community vision of EPCOT may of not even survived being how Walt wanted control of everyone who lived in EPCOTs lives. Might of turned out like the 1941 Animators Strike for him.

ya I'm really into Disney history and I recently saw a documentary on Walt's original vision for the actual planned city of Epcot and the amount of control he wanted to wield over residents, I was pretty shocked

ya I'm really into Disney history and I recently saw a documentary on Walt's original vision for the actual planned city of Epcot and the amount of control he wanted to wield over residents, I was pretty shocked
No doubt Walt was a visionary I just don’t think he was a good manager. If I look at how Walt envisioned EPCOT I don’t see how that would have ever been financially sustainable. That is why Roy always did the behind the scenes work because Walt would of bankrupted the company long ago.

Rides like Horizons and Sum of All Thrills, not to mention Seabase 1 and original Test Track were some of Disneys best rides ever all were educational but all were fun as well. Being a engineer i loved the energy efficient smart house and added some of the things in that house to mine, The recycling center with trash to energy was fun for kids and education for adults, The cutaway fire engine was also amazing and what kid does not like fire engines and the heroes who operate them we also got to see the tech in them that supports the firefighters. Educational does not need to be boring it can be a lot of fun and it can be a lifetime of learning new things and new ways to look at old things as well.

Because Disney is more than just movies. Imagineering once had creative freedom to bring the cardinal realms of imagination to life. Without this creative freedom there's no Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Nature's Wonderland, Adventure Thru Inner Space, Horizons, Alien Encounter, It's a Small World and other iconic attractions. When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, it was and may still be the best thing that Disney ever created and was an IP-free zone with all original attractions. Originality sets Disney apart from the competition and gives the parks unique identities.

This is a big thing to me. I'm ok with adding in IP but want original ideas in the mix as well. Even now most of the rides that come to people's minds first when they think of Disney are these original concepts not the IP driven ones. Some exceptions with newer things now like Star Wars and Radiator Springs but still initial thoughts tend to go to the mountains, HM, Pirates, etc. Plus it's a potential loss of future franchises for them. If they only did IPs they wouldn't have some of their biggest franchises like Pirates and now they are delving into Jungle Cruise and SEAS which have potential to be huge adventure series for them.

This is a big thing to me. I'm ok with adding in IP but want original ideas in the mix as well. Even now most of the rides that come to people's minds first when they think of Disney are these original concepts not the IP driven ones. Some exceptions with newer things now like Star Wars and Radiator Springs but still initial thoughts tend to go to the mountains, HM, Pirates, etc. Plus it's a potential loss of future franchises for them. If they only did IPs they wouldn't have some of their biggest franchises like Pirates and now they are delving into Jungle Cruise and SEAS which have potential to be huge adventure series for them.

Yeah, to me it's all "IP" but original ideas are great because they can become movies. I am always excited to hear about projects involving the original park attractions.

Why can’t they put a Moe‘s Tavern in Epcot. Or at least HS. Maybe the deal with Fox precludes that for a period of time, who knows. I know there’s one at Universal but I sense Disney would get it right. Otherwise what was the point of obtaining the Simpsons. Maybe just the streaming rights to get D+ on its feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter