Epcot, what a pain to get in!

annemce118

Mouseketeer
I know Epcot is going through changes at their entrance, but what a pain to get through security in the morning! This morning it was EMH and I arrived at 8:30 and had no bag. I had to ask where to go because it was just so jammed packed with people. Then one other day there was no special “no bag” line, so I just walked by everyone in line.

I know Epcot is going through changes at their entrance, but what a pain to get through security in the morning! This morning it was EMH and I arrived at 8:30 and had no bag. I had to ask where to go because it was just so jammed packed with people. Then one other day there was no special “no bag” line, so I just walked by everyone in line.
Yes, it is a complete mess and I understand your frustration. Security at Epcot is awful on a good, non-construction day.

I have seen some pics from the Epcot entrance lately, and boy, it doesn't look fun! Hopefully they'll have worked some kinks out, but not looking forward to bag check in a couple weeks!

Sounds very frustrating. Sorry to hear about this difficult start to your day. But hopefully by now some of that has worn off and you're having a great time! :)

I remember my last trip at Epcot, the line was ridiculously long to get through security and then again through the main gate. Maybe they should send out a video in advance of everyone's visit, showing people how to have their bags open and ready... and then how to use the MagicBand and finger reader. I wish TSA would do that at the airport too, come to think of it.

Anyway, at least you're at Epcot and not sitting at home or at work! (Like me... but taking a mental break to log into Disboards haha.)

I remember my last trip at Epcot, the line was ridiculously long to get through security and then again through the main gate. Maybe they should send out a video in advance of everyone's visit, showing people how to have their bags open and ready... and then how to use the MagicBand and finger reader. I wish TSA would do that at the airport too, come to think of it.

That's a dang good idea.
I'm sure i'm not the only one that it happens to but i feel like i ALWAYS pick the wrong line to stand in in the mornings and i'm stuck behind every guest that doesn't know how to use their band + finger print.
and not just kids- I can let those slide!!

of course its only annoying in those ~5 minutes when the park opens/you are in such a rush to get to your favorite attraction and then I forget all about it!

....until you brought it up again :rotfl:

I'm glad we usually go in through the IG. The pictures look like a mess. It never was good before construction.
Hopefully, when its all done, it will be much better. Simply getting the people from the monorail out of the security line will be a big improvment.

. Maybe they should send out a video in advance of everyone's visit, showing people how to have their bags open and ready...
That is a fantastic idea. I’m picturing it with characters, like the pre-show showing you how to board Star Tours.....you’re a genius!

I like the idea of an instructional video for being prepared for bag check and the tapstile/finger reader. Though, honestly, people should have enough common sense to have their bags and strollers as ready as possible (unzipped, opened up, etc). And there is someone standing there telling you exactly how to navigate the tapstile/finger reader. But I swear, some people walk up to the security like they have no idea what's about to happen. I can understand if it's your first time ever going through a security check line anywhere in the world, but even then, you can see what's happening ahead of you. Get prepared! LOL!

I am working hard to make sure I will not have a purse or bag for our trip in October. DH has no problem since he wears cargo shorts. But I am trying to find a way to fit just a few items in my pockets or a pack that fits under my t-shirt. Just trying to find a way to shorten our security experience. DH says if I bring a very small purse he might be able to put it in his side pocket till we get inside. I will have to test that out.

I am working hard to make sure I will not have a purse or bag for our trip in October. DH has no problem since he wears cargo shorts. But I am trying to find a way to fit just a few items in my pockets or a pack that fits under my t-shirt. Just trying to find a way to shorten our security experience. DH says if I bring a very small purse he might be able to put it in his side pocket till we get inside. I will have to test that out.
Both of you might still have to go through the metal detector with emptied pockets. They will check your bag at that point.

I’m reading it again and again wondering where exactly your complaint lies...? You had to wait in a security line?

Just an honest question; have you been through the EPCOT entrance in the morning lately with everything roped off and ripped up?

As a herd of people let out, they are now so densely packed you can't maneuver and the lines are extremely long when you catch them at the wrong time, hence the desire to go through the no bag line since you have no bag just like at every other park (at EPCOT you can be stuck in a bag search lane for up to 20 min)... however, with the chaos it's like a salmon trying to swim upstream to even see where you are supposed to go, while the security personal are trying to scream directions, which include "if you have no bag, go through the no bag line." They also keep changing where they have extra entry points for those with bags. I've just got back from a trip and confirm it's a pain.

I like the idea of an instructional video for being prepared for bag check and the tapstile/finger reader. Though, honestly, people should have enough common sense to have their bags and strollers as ready as possible (unzipped, opened up, etc). And there is someone standing there telling you exactly how to navigate the tapstile/finger reader. But I swear, some people walk up to the security like they have no idea what's about to happen. I can understand if it's your first time ever going through a security check line anywhere in the world, but even then, you can see what's happening ahead of you. Get prepared! LOL!

I agree. We always have our bags opened up and packed loosely so they can easily see what’s inside. I actually bring 2 small bags (one comes with me everywhere through the park with the absolute essentials - one diaper, wipes, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, etc.) The other one stays in the stroller with extra diapering supplies, extra clothes for the kids etc.) Security can go through 2 loosely packed bags much easier than one big one packed tightly to the brim.

A few years ago, the guy in front of us opened his stuffed backpack a few people before he got to the table and the contents burst out all over the place. Poor guy, he even had the right idea to open the bag in advance!

I know it’s hard to pack loosely when you have kids and lots to bring (one of our trips we had 2 in diapers - I get it!), but we have had great success at security having a bag of the immediate essentials that comes with us everywhere and a drawstring bag of backup items that stays in the stroller. They open, take a quick glance and good to go. They don’t rearrange. You don’t have to repack. Packing loosely really speeds things up.

This last trip I made sure I didn't carry a purse and it was worth it many times over. I don't carry much so regular pockets work for me, however, when I want to carry more I wear cargo capris, which work well. If you don't have bulging pockets, they usually let you straight through the detector without taking anything out. This last trip none of us had to remove anything from our pockets.

To my knowledge you just have to remove metal from your pockets, not everything. It's not TSA.

Just an honest question; have you been through the EPCOT entrance in the morning lately with everything roped off and ripped up?

As a herd of people let out, they are now so densely packed you can't maneuver and the lines are extremely long when you catch them at the wrong time, hence the desire to go through the no bag line since you have no bag just like at every other park (at EPCOT you can be stuck in a bag search lane for up to 20 min)... however, with the chaos it's like a salmon trying to swim upstream to even see where you are supposed to go, while the security personal are trying to scream directions, which include "if you have no bag, go through the no bag line." They also keep changing where they have extra entry points for those with bags. I've just got back from a trip and confirm it's a pain.
I totally agree with you. We got back 2 weeks ago and Epcot at early morning opening is a mess. It's not that I had an issue with having to wait for bag check or be verified I qualified for EMH or tap into the park.....it is the chaos and people going under roped off areas to skip ahead and cast members moving the lines (with hundreds of people in them) and others thinking that line was trying to cut in when in reality we were instructed to move the line. But, once in, we had a fantastic day.

I swear I'm always behind the person with 8 million zippers on their 5 bags....security checkpoints should be like ski trails. Go through the beginner one if you don't know what you're doing, and pick the triple black diamond if you have everything unzipped and opened when you put your bag on the table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter