escargot?

Mickey'sMainMami

<font color=red>I love playing video games!!<br><f
So my DH and I leave for the world in 1 week!! We are on the deluxe dining plan and we talked about using that as an excuse to try new restaurant/foods. 1 thing we both want to try is escargot and they are serving at 2 of the restaurants we have booked. Chefs de France and Be Our Guest. So my first question is what is the texture like? I am huge on texture, I heard it tastes similar to chicken, but is it soft and mushy or firm? Second, where would you order it, CDF or BOG? Thank you all for any responses!

Texture wise they are like slightly overcooked oysters or clams.

They are usually soaked in butter sauce so they taste like the sauce.

We've had it at Chefs de France many times. I would say it is between an oyster and a muscle. They are covered in so much sauce that you really get a good mismatch of textures.

Our escargot story - when we asked DD what she wanted to try when we went to Disney when she was 8, her emphatic reply was, "Escargot!" We booked Chefs de France for the first time based on that desire, and she is a fan to this day.

Texture wise they are like slightly overcooked oysters or clams.

They are usually soaked in butter sauce so they taste like the sauce.
Yup. The only ones I've had were on a royal caribbean cruise. They were served in garlic sauce so they just tasted like super garlicky.

As for texture.... it's like if mushrooms and calamari had a baby, that's what you'd get. Nothing stupendous imo. And I can't look at them while eating otw I freak myself out.

If they are not soaking in garlic butter, they tend to taste like mushrooms. A very good recipe (when they are not too salty) is used on Disney Cruise Line. They match it with a mushroom duxelles and much less garlic butter than usual. As PP mentioned, they tend to be a bit chewy, much like a cooked clam or oyster.

The preparation at BoG features much less butter than what they use at CdF. I have a feeling you'll get to taste them better there, instead of being overwhelmed by the massive amount of garlic and parsley in the butter. The other starters at both restaurants are pretty much the same : lobster bisque, mixed green salad, onion soup or cheese platter. The only different option you will miss if you get them at BoG is the charred octopus, if you are interested. It looks well prepared and the reviews of that dish are very good.

If they are not soaking in garlic butter, they tend to taste like mushrooms. A very good recipe (when they are not too salty) is used on Disney Cruise Line. They match it with a mushroom duxelles and much less garlic butter than usual. As PP mentioned, they tend to be a bit chewy, much like a cooked clam or oyster.

The preparation at BoG features much less butter than what they use at CdF. I have a feeling you'll get to taste them better there, instead of being overwhelmed by the massive amount of garlic and parsley in the butter. The other starters at both restaurants are pretty much the same : lobster bisque, mixed green salad, onion soup or cheese platter. The only different option you will miss if you get them at BoG is the charred octopus, if you are interested. It looks well prepared and the reviews of that dish are very good.

I thought about that as well, has anyone had the charred octopus? I know calamari can be rubbery (I like calamari) can anyone tell me what the octopus texture is like?

I thought about that as well, has anyone had the charred octopus? I know calamari can be rubbery (I like calamari) can anyone tell me what the octopus texture is like?
When badly prepared, it can be quite tough. When they take the time to cook it properly, it has the same texture as a lobster tail or a meaty shrimp.

When badly prepared, it can be quite tough. When they take the time to cook it properly, it has the same texture as a lobster tail or a meaty shrimp.

Thank you very much!! I am going to try it :)

Of the two, I prefer octopus. . .when prepared well as Marc D mentions. It is meatier than escargot, and the problem with the escargot in nearly every place where I've had it over the years (both coasts and Alaska) is that the kitchen tends to a) overcook the snail and/or b) try to kill your palate with too much garlic. Garlic-y butter is classic, but too much can simply ruin the dish. And, you gotta have bread with escargot. pirate:

We've had the octopus at Tiffins both times we have eaten there and it was delicious. We have also had it here it home (near Boston) at Citrus and Salt, and it was also delicious. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter