Etiquette in bars

enzy65

Mouseketeer
When doing trivia, game show, musical entertainment, bingo,etc. in bars on different ships sometimes I want a drink other times I don’t.
Is it frowned upon if you don’t order anything?? I see others sitting without drinks. What does everyone do??

I have ordered a drink during trivia, musical performances, and other bar/lounge activities maybe 2 or 3 times in 15 cruises. A castmember may ask if you want anything, but if you say no, you probably won't be asked again. You can also bring in a drink from the drink station or Cove Cafe if you want -- I do that several times per cruise.

You don't need to order a drink even during bar hours, like mention if you don't they will put a napkin down, I've been told if I changed mind just let them know

You never have to order a drink in the lounges. A waiter will come by to ask and they used to leave a napkin at your table to show that you were asked. Some people might just sit and relax in a lounge or listen to music, etc
That was us on the Magic last month. We had some time before dinner but didn’t want anything, just sat in the Scat Cat Lounge enjoying the live music.

Edited to add - We weren’t the only ones not drinking or eating.

I know it is on the pool deck as part of the cruise cost, however if I were going to a bar for any reason and I did not want an adult beverage I would at least order a (1) soda. You will pay for it and I do not remember how much but the server will appreciate it.
At least that's what I would do.

I’m with others that you don’t have to order a drink at any time to enjoy the lounges - I see them as public spaces to enjoy on the ship that happen to also have a bar available. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t, sometimes I bring a drink from elsewhere there I’m still enjoying.

We don't drink and have never ordered a drink or paid for extra pub food on any of our 7 cruises. I have never felt pressured or uncomfortable about it. As one of the other posters mentioned, I have brought a cup of soda from up on deck a few times. There are plenty of people drinking plenty to make up for me.

Unlike on land, the bar owner is the Disney ship. You aren’t taking space from a paying customer. Notice how few staff they have (I think because they know there won’t be a lot of drinks ordered).

When doing trivia, game show, musical entertainment, bingo,etc. in bars on different ships sometimes I want a drink other times I don’t.
Is it frowned upon if you don’t order anything?? I see others sitting without drinks. What does everyone do??
If I don't want a drink and the server comes around and asks I say no thanks. The server will put a napkin down on the table signifying that I was asked and said no.

Perfectly acceptable to decline a drink. It is not required to order drinks to sit at any venue and play trivia or watch game show, etc.

MJ

We don't drink and have never ordered a drink or paid for extra pub food on any of our 7 cruises. I have never felt pressured or uncomfortable about it. As one of the other posters mentioned, I have brought a cup of soda from up on deck a few times. There are plenty of people drinking plenty to make up for me.
The comments are pretty straightforward so far. Agree that it is not necessary to order during an activity but even during non-activity/event times the bars on the ships are public space more so than on land.

It is slightly misleading to think that others "paying" are covering your non-purchases because your cruise fare is already covering all cost related to an individual being on the ship. The Disney bean counters and data scientist know how much to charge for an individual passenger to cover their time on the ship. I only mention this because you already paid, so someone reading this thread doesn't think you are getting something for free (that is not the Disney way).

Besides at a even the most basic level, a general manager and/or operations manager at an individual bar has the ability to know anticipated guest counts, estimated spend and likely purchases. They have to do that so they can charge correctly, order and stock correctly and as mentioned staff correctly.

Unlike on land, the bar owner is the Disney ship. You aren’t taking space from a paying customer. Notice how few staff they have (I think because they know there won’t be a lot of drinks ordered).

I know it is on the pool deck as part of the cruise cost, however if I were going to a bar for any reason and I did not want an adult beverage I would at least order a (1) soda. You will pay for it and I do not remember how much but the server will appreciate it.

It is slightly misleading to think that others "paying" are covering your non-purchases because your cruise fare is already covering all cost related to an individual being on the ship. The Disney bean counters and data scientist know how much to charge for an individual passenger to cover their time on the ship. I only mention this because you already paid, so someone reading this thread doesn't think you are getting something for free (that is not the Disney way).

The reason I said that plenty of others are purchasing drinks was in reference to the above from 71 Truck that implied one should at least buy a soda to make the server feel better or to give them a tip. I do not agree with that and was saying that I don't think it's necessary to get anything - I am more than happy with what is included.

I'm not sure what your point is. I wasn't saying that others "paying" are covering my non-purchases. I was trying to say that I don't NEED to purchase anything additional because I've paid a fare and can enjoy what is included. Sorry if that didn't come through correctly.

I don't drink alcohol and normally have a refillable drink bottle with me, that I fill up at the drink station before going to any onboard activity. When the servers stop to ask if I want anything, I normally let them know that I have my own drink or I just ask them for an ice water and straw.

As others have said there is no worries if you don't order anything from the servers.

Psy

The reason I said that plenty of others are purchasing drinks was in reference to the above from 71 Truck that implied one should at least buy a soda to make the server feel better or to give them a tip. I do not agree with that and was saying that I don't think it's necessary to get anything - I am more than happy with what is included.

I'm not sure what your point is. I wasn't saying that others "paying" are covering my non-purchases. I was trying to say that I don't NEED to purchase anything additional because I've paid a fare and can enjoy what is included. Sorry if that didn't come through correctly.
My thought was, imagine if the event was 2 hours long and no one decided to buy anything, I know it probably would never happen, then the entire staff of that bar would not make any money.

This is just my thought, I am sure it is not a problem not to buy anything, but I personally feel bad taking up a space for a paying customer even though it might be for an event hosted in the location, especially if it was in a small venue.
Once again this is just my own personal feeling, I am sure there is no wrong answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter