European vacation Help

scotty s

Mouseketeer
The DW and I would like to take our daughter to Europe after she graduates HS next summer. Not counting RT airfare..can anyone shoot me a ball park figure for transportation, lodging, food, entertainment...etc??
What is the most economical way to travel through multiple countries...mainly Italy, Germany, Switzerland, France..or, for first time should we stick to one country?
No need to recommend ABD...too much $$$

The DW and I would like to take our daughter to Europe after she graduates HS next summer. Not counting RT airfare..can anyone shoot me a ball park figure for transportation, lodging, food, entertainment...etc??
What is the most economical way to travel through multiple countries...mainly Italy, Germany, Switzerland, France..or, for first time should we stick to one country?

What's your length of stay? Are you big eaters? What kind of accommodations are you comfortable staying in? What do you want to see?

For how long?
how many people? (just the three mentioned, or the four in your sig pic?)
do you prefer to stay in hotels? if so, what level?
or a rental house? (much more space for less money if you stay put a few days and explore one area)

do you want sit down meals 3 times a day? Grab a pastry for breakfast and sandwich for lunch and then sit down for dinner?

there is just no way to guess at it with the information you have given.

I will say that Italy to any of the others you are probably cheapest to fly. Maybe rent a car and drive depending on where in Italy (if you are talking Milan to Lucerne but not if you are talking Rome).

I will also say that Switzerland is very, very expensive. Much more so than the other three countries you listed.

I love the train system in Europe. We flew into Milan, toured around the country for a week using trains, and took the night train from Florence, Italy to Zurich. It was a lot of fun. We rented a car in Zurich from the airport and drove to Austria and Germany for the rest of the vacation. I do not suggest driving in Italy unless you really need to, but Germany is awesome to drive as long as you are cordial and follow the laws.

My favorite places...Anywhere in Central Italy...Tuscany, Umbria, Rome...Lake Constance in Southern Germany...Bavaria...I could go on...I like southern Germany much better than Switzerland. Switzerland is expensive and not as American friendly. (very limited time there, so take that with a grain of salt)

Realized that I didn't talk money....hotels will be your biggest cost. Personally I would buy train passes (Eurail) that cover your entire stay. Google Eurail. The cost depends on the number of days of travel, number of countries you are visiting, and the class. I would pay more for first class. I am not a first class girl here in the states, but second class in Europe means you might stand for the ride...First class means you will get to sit down and relax. Length of passes given kinda like Disney tickets...3 train travels days to be used within 2 months of the first use...so according to how much you move around, you can buy more or fewer days. When I am there, I move around almost every day....I would plan at least $500 per person if you want train passes. Some of my best experiences in Europe was on trains...you meet very interesting people.

Hotels are expensive too. I would budget at least $200 per night per a hotel. But there are lots of Bed and Breakfast type places in Italy that are not as formal as here in the states and cheaper than hotels. Don't expect a serious breakfast. Just something to grab. Lots of farmhouses and BnBs in Tuscany and Cinque Terre.

Personally if you want to spend two weeks in one country I would make it Italy. The country is so diverse from top to bottom, that you will never get bored with it. Rome is a whole different world from Venice, but I love them both. All of the big cities are on the train schedule and easy to get to.

Now, I want to go... :)

Sorry for the limited info...
We are looking at 2 weeks. We are not big eaters. We enjoy sit down dinners but can grab something quick for breakfast and lunch.
We really don't want to stay in large Hotels but rather smaller B&B type places. We want to get out and see the country and meet the people.
It would just be 3 of us...

The countries you listed would be way too ambitious for 2 weeks. Narrow it down - what are your priorities.

We are looking at 2 weeks. We are not big eaters. We enjoy sit down dinners but can grab something quick for breakfast and lunch.
We really don't want to stay in large Hotels but rather smaller B&B type places. We want to get out and see the country and meet the people.

We are in london right now. It was almost 7k for three RT tickets on British Airways from houston to london. The hotel is going to run 3k for 7 nights. Meals have been very expensive, basically double what we are used to. They definitely gouge tourists over here. Luckily we did club level at the hotel so breakfast, snacks and drinks are included all day. We only eat out for dinner.

You might check out Rick Steves' books. Our last trip to Europe, not counting airfare, it cost us about $1600 for 2 of us for 10 days (food/lodging/transportation/admissions). That was 3 nights each in Vienna, Munich, and Prague. Our lodgings were all based on the book recommendations and we were not disappointed. We flew into Vienna and out of Prague, and utilized all the public transportation/trains.

How comfortable are you "winging it"? I got a 1 way ticket to Barcelona for around 700 dollars, including a two night stopover in Iceland. I rented a studio apartment in Iceland so I can do breakfast and supper (snack) in the room so we'll only eat our main meal out at lunch. I went o Vacation rental by owner (VRBO) and found another studio apartment in Barcelona for 6 nights - right around $200 a night. again 2 meals in the room.

For a two week trip I would consider Germany/Austria or Switzerland/Italy. Many European hotels include breakfast. The trains are very easy to navigate. The first class Swiss Pass used to include extras including museum admissions, ferry rides, mountain lifts, etc., making it well worth the extra price. Otherwise I stick to 2nd class train tickets.

Ita with checking our Rick Steves, I have never gone wrong following his advice. I've also gotten great tips on the Trip Advisor forums.

I would ballpark $3000 a week although I've done 3 weeks for just under $5,000 (didn't do a lot of expensive restaurants, minimal souvenir spending, etc.).

I agree that four countries would be too much for a 2 week trip. However, DH and I did Paris, the Swiss Alps and Munich in two weeks and had a blast. We didn't feel rushed and we were happy with how the trip worked out. We had an open jaw flight, so that helped.

I would recommend reading Rick Steve's "Europe Through the Backdoor" (it's a quick read and you can skim parts) then plan your trip from there. I love planning trips, but planning my Europe trip was a bit overwhelming. The book taught me how to plan for it.

We are in london right now. It was almost 7k for three RT tickets on British Airways from houston to london. The hotel is going to run 3k for 7 nights. Meals have been very expensive, basically double what we are used to. They definitely gouge tourists over here. Luckily we did club level at the hotel so breakfast, snacks and drinks are included all day. We only eat out for dinner.

I was in London last year, I don't think they gouge tourists the exchange rate is horrible. I also think it is where you live, I live in NYC so when I travel nothing really seems expensive.

Another vote for Rick Steves' books. I just did Barcelona for 6 nights with his help, and his recommendations were spot on.

If you are serious about that last point, like a PP, I would encourage you to narrow the list to two countries and one or two "home bases" in each of those, so you can have time to do more than hit the major tourist highlights.

If it were my friend, my personal recommendation to someone wanting to see a fair amount of variety and things everyone has heard of but also have time to get to know people and have a more local feel would be to narrow it to Germany and Italy and do the following:

Fly into Frankfurt (I would start with Germany to lessen "jet lag" Both countries are on the same time zone, but Germans tend to eat dinner at 6 or 7 and whereas Italian places normally do not even open for dinner until 8:30 or 9:00---so it feels like a longer time gap than it is).

From Frankfurt, take the train (45 minutes) to Heidelberg. Stay 2 to 3 nights in Heidelberg and explore the city and nearby small towns (Schwetzingen Palace, Bad Wimpfen) while you get over jet lag and get settled into the culture a little.

Take the train to Munich (3 - 4 hours depending on type of train and connection). Stay 4 to 5 nights in a guest house (smaller hotels, privately owned and generally owners run them themselves and are very sociable with guests) and explore Munich and take day trips to other nearby areas that interest you.

Fly from Munich to Milan (Duetsche Bahn has actively discouraged us from taking trains to Italy several times. They don't work well with Italy, or Spain, and things get very pricey and take a long time). Short flights with in Europe can usually be had for 100 Euro or less even on major carriers if you keep an eye out and are a bit flexible on dates or time.

Spend an afternoon in Milan and then take a train to a B&B near Florence. Spend 3 or 4 days there and exploring Tuscany.

Take the train down to Rome and finish up with 3 or 4 days there (note: I really dislike Rome and that is where I always feel like they are trying to gouge tourists, but I know most people love it and most want to see it).
Fly home from Rome.

Guessing prices, for the parts in Germany (I am less familiar with Italy--we tend to go their on cruises or else rent a house):

About 1300 euro in food and hotel for a week staying in triple rooms in locally owned guest houses and 400 in longer trains in Germany (25 from the airport to Heidelberg and 100 to Munich, if ought ahead on the db.de website). Maybe another 700 Eurosin entertainment and local buses and trams (which I think is guessing VERY high, but not knowing what you like to do) for pricing for the one week, if that helps.

I agree with a PP that the main issue in London is that the Pound is so strong. It is an expensive city, but no more so than New York or Paris or any other major city that both locals and tourists love. Locals seem to be paying the same rates (unlike in Rome!).

If you see this and are getting sick of bleeding money:

We like to pick up the picnic package at Tesco's and take it to a park for lunch. Last time I was there, those ran 4 pounds for a choice of sandwich, side dish (chips, baby carrots, etc), choice of bottled drink and a a choice of dessert (candy bars and cookies and the like).

There are also a couple of fairly casual chains that had better prices and were good food, in our opinion. I really like Nandos Chicken (bonus--free drink refills!) and Wagamama's Asian food.

We, as a family of 4, just returned from a trip to (mostly) Germany and France. Twice we rented a condo, once in Paris and once in a small town to watch the Tour de France. For one we used www.vrbo.com and for the other www.booking.com.

It was very cost effective, allowed us more space than a hotel, and gave us a kitchen and a washing machine (but no clothes dryer). We never ate dinner or lunch there, but cooking omelettes in the morning and having a slightly-larger-than-hotel-sized refrigerator was nice, as was the washing machine. What this does not give you is someone on-site to make recommendations or suggestions about the area. It worked for us, as we knew what we wanted to do and figured out how to get where we needed to be. But, if you are looking for some local expertise, a B&B or hotel might be a better option.

I have to second NHdisneylover's thoughts on flying in and out of Frankfurt. That was exactly what we did, mostly because it was the least expensive. Also, if you are able to be a little flexible with the days you fly in and out, you will get a better price. We were, and our 3-week trip actually became a 3.5 week trip, and the airfare savings were still more than the added hotel cost.

We rented a car, and for us it was absolutely worth it to get from city to city. The town where we saw the Tour was not on a train route, so we would have ended up renting a car at least for that had we not had one anyway. Plus, after pricing out rail tickets for 4 people, the rental made the most sense for us. In some places, we relied on public transportation once we were there (Paris), but in others we used the car (the Normandy beaches). It really depends on what you want to do and whether you can utilize trains effectively.

I also agree with others that the Rick Steves books are fantastic.

We literally just got back this week, so I'm still in the "I want to tell everyone about the trip" phase, ha ha, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me, whether about planning, packing, etc. Have fun planning your trip!!

You might check out Rick Steves' books. Our last trip to Europe, not counting airfare, it cost us about $1600 for 2 of us for 10 days (food/lodging/transportation/admissions). That was 3 nights each in Vienna, Munich, and Prague. Our lodgings were all based on the book recommendations and we were not disappointed. We flew into Vienna and out of Prague, and utilized all the public transportation/trains.

Rick Steves has hits and misses. My sister took their advice in Paris and ended up with a room that had a double bed and no walls for the bathroom. She was travelling with a woman she was aquainted with but not yet friends. She also said it was a tiny room and nothing was without dinge. I tried to warn her about booking cheap in Paris. As far as how much territory to cover in two weeks, remember you will be tired when you arrive and the time zone change is several hours. So, the first city should be a 3 night stay(imho) and from there 2 nights in each place so you have a day to sightsee. I know folks who have loved getting apartments in two places for a week and taken day tours. Makes food costs less and gives children a home base. Take a look at the Rick Steves tours. My sister picked one up from Paris and really liked it. I don't think it was very expensive comparatively.

The countries you listed would be way too ambitious for 2 weeks. Narrow it down - what are your priorities.

I have to agree. Last October my BF and I went to visit my friend who lives in Germany, and we met in Amsterdam, a 4 hour car ride from where she was. We spent 2 full days there, 3 nights, and then drove back to Germany and needed a day to recover from Jet lag. We then had 5 more full days to tour Germany and hit our bucket list items (Heidelberg, Munich, Hiking in the Bavarian Alps, Neuschwanstein Castle) and before you know it the trip was over. We covered a lot of terrain, probably 500 miles +/-, but it'd be hard to hit all 4 of your countries so spread apart without feeling like you're running laps or missing everything for the sake of seeing 1 item in each country.

Another recommendation for you to split the trip. A couple of years ago we wanted to go to London, Paris, Spain & Italy and I took the recommendation to split them and it was the best thing we did! We are a family of 4 (2 teenage DDs). I'm not familiar with Germany but you have been given great suggestions.

Last summer we went to London (& surrounding country side) & Paris. In London we stayed in an apartment in Chelsea and save lots of money! Food in London is very expensive (as in any major city) but we went grocery shopping and had breakfast in the apartment, brought snacks for the day and either had a large lunch or dinner. In Paris, we stayed at a hotel but used my DH points for our room and paid for the girls room....we were lucky since he's a Gold Member we had access to the lounge and ate breakfast there as well as snacks. Paris to us was cheaper food wise since we always ate the fixed price menu and ate at non-touristy places.

We're going to Italy and Spain next year and doing basically the same thing we did last year with the exception that we're going to be Italy only 5 days and going to Spain for 10 days since I want to show my family more of country and we're renting a car in Spain and staying in an apartment of a college friend as our home base.

One note - love the train system in Europe but boy has it gotten expensive!!! You also have to worry about strikes in certain countries.

Have a great time!!!!

I'd suggest, picking your destinations, then plug in a $$$ amount for hotels on booking.com. You can easily do two of these..Germany, Austria and Italy...in a couple of weeks.

1)Hotels...pick a $$$ and look from there. This will be the biggest expense of the three.

2) Trains are easy to use and very economical.

3) Food can be as cheap or expensive, as you'd like. Many hotels include breakfast. We choose to "picnic" for at least half of our meals. There are a couple of favorites, that we have a nice sit down meal. We don't spend much more for food on vacation, than we do at home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter