EVC question

I can’t manage stairs so I would be in a real pickle
You should try and change your reservation to a HA unit. That will guarantee a first floor unit or a unit with elevator access.

I'd see if a DVC owner, a friend or someone on DIS, can check availability for you. If HA unit is available, same category same points , immediately contact your broker. Tell the broker you didn't realize some units are walk ups. Ask for the courtesy of an exception and change your reservation to HA. Don't argue if they want to charge you a nominal fee

Otherwise get to your resort early. Give the resort time to make adjustments.

You should try and change your reservation to a HA unit. That will guarantee a first floor unit or a unit with elevator access.

I'd see if a DVC owner, a friend or someone on DIS, can check availability for you. If HA unit is available, same category same points , immediately contact your broker. Tell the broker you didn't realize some units are walk ups. Ask for the courtesy of an exception and change your reservation to HA. Don't argue if they want to charge you a nominal fee

They want $50 for any change. I saw that online.

I'd pay $50 if they can confirm the reservation change to HA.
Oh I will if they can do it. I looked on their website and they are showing nothing at all available for my dates. I made the request though. Thank you for your help. I didn’t even think of asking for a HA room. I never think of myself as handicapped but obviously I am now. It’s so frustrating. I had groceries delivered and grabbed bottled water from the driver. I don’t even know how but next thing I know I’m on the floor. In my head I’m a lot more able than in reality.

This is my first time going on my own. I wanted to stay at AKL in a studio but there were none . So I decided to try a board sponsor and booked a studio at OKW. I’ve got my park passes and am booked and paid. My flight is booked. My car is booked. can’t switch without losing a lot ofmoney. So it’s left me a wreck about the scooter. Can I book one and cancel it if they won’t have a room for me?
I'd book the scooter and let them know I can't do stairs. I guess this is what I did with the CBR reservation in October. I needed the ECV. I don't plan to book anymore resorts without elevators until I can do stairs again (getting both knees replaced next year). I guess it depends on if you're going at a very busy time (Christmas week, spring break, etc) - otherwise I think they'd find a way to help you out even if you had to move to another resort. Just make sure you've called and had it put on your reservation it's a medical need and you can't do stairs - that was my only room request was a first floor room - any building - at CBR. I'm betting you'll be fine. I hope you have a great trip!!

I'd book the scooter and let them know I can't do stairs. I guess this is what I did with the CBR reservation in October. I needed the ECV. I don't plan to book anymore resorts without elevators until I can do stairs again (getting both knees replaced next year). I guess it depends on if you're going at a very busy time (Christmas week, spring break, etc) - otherwise I think they'd find a way to help you out even if you had to move to another resort. Just make sure you've called and had it put on your reservation it's a medical need and you can't do stairs - that was my only room request was a first floor room - any building - at CBR. I'm betting you'll be fine. I hope you have a great trip!!
Thank you. I order3d the scooter. I’ve asked to see if I can swap from regular studio to HA one And asked for first floor or the building with elevator. Don’t do both knees at once. My sister had one and it was tough but she’s doing great now.

Since you’re going alone, I highly recommend the Wedge It door stop. DVC resort doors are very heavy and it’s a PITB to hold the door and get the scooter in the room at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-WEDGE-Ultimate-Door-Orange/dp/B00N4M2XQK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_pp?crid=25F3HFZAR4AX8&keywords=wedge+it+door+stopper&qid=1703082534&sprefix=wedge+it,aps,157&sr=8-3

Here are photos of how I used it, but others use it on the middle hinge if you can’t reach the top of the door.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-to-get-ecv-in-room-myself.3786378/page-2#post-64307013

Last edited:

@snowwite, I'm a DVC member and I figured out your dates from another post. There are 6 days of availably in an OKW HA studio but your first day is not available. Over at SSR, all 7 days are available in a Preferred HA studio for 9 points more.

When I originally read that you were renting DVC points and were also renting a scooter, I thought to myself, "that should be fine as long as she's not in OKW ...". Oops. Then, you said that you're bringing some kind of portable grab bars for the toilet and the shower. Sorry, but you really need a HA room. I would contact the DVC Store and ask them to move you to SSR and pay for the extra 9 points. For me, the extra $200 is totally worth it. Plus, SSR is IMO a nicer resort anyway. There is more room to move around in the studio because there is only 1 bed and and a couch opposed to 2 beds in the OKW studio, all buildings have elevators and there is a path to Disney Springs that you can scooter over to in "bunny mode" to grab a meal or shop.

I can’t manage stairs so I would be in a real pickle
This is an issue with OKW, but just be nice to them and they will do what they can, just hope they don't sell out and/or Saratoga doesn't sell out. They really do need a way to be able to book a guaranteed first floor for mobility purposes without having to book an accessible room. But then there will be issues with people abusing that system.

shower. Sorry, but you really need a HA room. I would contact the DVC Store and ask them to move you to SSR and pay for the extra 9 points. For me, the extra $200 is totally worth it. Plus, SSR is IMO a nicer reso
The owner might not have an extra 9 points to rent.

If that's the case move the last 6 nights to HA at OKW. Maybe you get lucky and they can find the first night before you check in

The owner might not have an extra 9 points to rent.

If that's the case move the last 6 nights to HA at OKW. Maybe you get lucky and they can find the first night before you check in
Yes, that is another option and 6 nights in a HA room are better than none.

This is an issue with OKW, but just be nice to them and they will do what they can, just hope they don't sell out and/or Saratoga doesn't sell out. They really do need a way to be able to book a guaranteed first floor for mobility purposes without having to book an accessible room. But then there will be issues with people abusing that system.
The OP actually needs a HA room as she needs grab bars as stated on another thread.

The OP actually needs a HA room as she needs grab bars as stated on another thread.
Yeah, I hadn't seen that, so yes, she needs an accessible room, but not everyone who needs the first floor does, which is why there needs to be a mechanism in place for this. Honestly, we much prefer OKW over Saratoga Springs, but don't need all the accesibility.

Yeah, I hadn't seen that, so yes, she needs an accessible room, but not everyone who needs the first floor does, which is why there needs to be a mechanism in place for this. Honestly, we much prefer OKW over Saratoga Springs, but don't need all the accesibility.
Yes, I agree that there does need to be some way to guarantee first floor at OKW, if the only issue is that you can't do stairs. I "discussed" (kind of argued) with MS about this several years ago, since I have knees that are totally shot, so I can't do stairs. Yet she insisted that first floor was just a request, not a guarantee. DH and I love OKW otherwise, but I freak out about getting the first floor before every trip. So far, though, we've always gotten first floor, in 5-6 trips. One reason I'd love to have first floor as a guarantee is so then I can also request view. Right now, first floor is so important that I don't dare make any other requests. Also, if first floor were a guarantee, I'd sleep better before the trip.

Thank you. I order3d the scooter. I’ve asked to see if I can swap from regular studio to HA one And asked for first floor or the building with elevator. Don’t do both knees at once. My sister had one and it was tough but she’s doing great now.
Surgeon wanted to do both at once but had an opening in January for one knee and offered to me and I'm taking it - I am getting to the point it's hard to walk anywhere - like in the house.

I had avoided renting a HA room but after my last trips - I could really use the grab bars and to make sure I don't get a tub I have to step into. I like CSR because I tend to be able to get a walk in shower and the toilet sits up high there for some reason - compared to other resorts. If you can move resorts to get an HA room it may be worth it - hoping it all works out as I'm sure it will! It always does I tell myself!!! :)

@snowwite, I'm a DVC member and I figured out your dates from another post. There are 6 days of availably in an OKW HA studio but your first day is not available. Over at SSR, all 7 days are available in a Preferred HA studio for 9 points more.

When I originally read that you were renting DVC points and were also renting a scooter, I thought to myself, "that should be fine as long as she's not in OKW ...". Oops. Then, you said that you're bringing some kind of portable grab bars for the toilet and the shower. Sorry, but you really need a HA room. I would contact the DVC Store and ask them to move you to SSR and pay for the extra 9 points. For me, the extra $200 is totally worth it. Plus, SSR is IMO a nicer resort anyway. There is more room to move around in the studio because there is only 1 bed and and a couch opposed to 2 beds in the OKW studio, all buildings have elevators and there is a path to Disney Springs that you can scooter over to in "bunny mode" to grab a meal or shop.
I contacted the DVC store. I wish I never booked through them. I can cancel and not get a refund but a credit for future use. They are really not helpful at all. I was told to try speaking to the front desk, that once the member books there can be no changes made at all. They won’t help me.
Yes, I agree that there does need to be some way to guarantee first floor at OKW, if the only issue is that you can't do stairs. I "discussed" (kind of argued) with MS about this several years ago, since I have knees that are totally shot, so I can't do stairs. Yet she insisted that first floor was just a request, not a guarantee. DH and I love OKW otherwise, but I freak out about getting the first floor before every trip. So far, though, we've always gotten first floor, in 5-6 trips. One reason I'd love to have first floor as a guarantee is so then I can also request view. Right now, first floor is so important that I don't dare make any other requests. Also, if first floor were a guarantee, I'd sleep better before the trip.
Exactly. I’m a complete wreck about this. I wish I realized the stairs thing before I booked.

Since you’re going alone, I highly recommend the Wedge It door stop. DVC resort doors are very heavy and it’s a PITB to hold the door and get the scooter in the room at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-WEDGE-Ultimate-Door-Orange/dp/B00N4M2XQK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_pp?crid=25F3HFZAR4AX8&keywords=wedge+it+door+stopper&qid=1703082534&sprefix=wedge+it,aps,157&sr=8-3

Here are photos of how I used it, but others use it on the middle hinge if you can’t reach the top of the door.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-to-get-ecv-in-room-myself.3786378/page-2#post-64307013
I never thought of that thank you! You all are so helpful!

I contacted the DVC store. I wish I never booked through them. I can cancel and not get a refund but a credit for future use. They are really not helpful at all. I was told to try speaking to the front desk, that once the member books there can be no changes made at all. They won’t help me.

Exactly. I’m a complete wreck about this. I wish I realized the stairs thing before I booked.
Again, they say it is only a request, but our experience is they will do absolutely everything they can to accommodate you. It is a shame that the rental company won't help you modify a reservation. For future reference, there is a DVC rental section on this board and people there are quite helpful and friendly. I know that doesn't help now, but something to keep in mind.

Again, they say it is only a request, but our experience is they will do absolutely everything they can to accommodate you. It is a shame that the rental company won't help you modify a reservation. For future reference, there is a DVC rental section on this board and people there are quite helpful and friendly. I know that doesn't help now, but something to keep in mind.
Thank you. I discovered that too late!

Surgeon wanted to do both at once but had an opening in January for one knee and offered to me and I'm taking it - I am getting to the point it's hard to walk anywhere - like in the house.

I had avoided renting a HA room but after my last trips - I could really use the grab bars and to make sure I don't get a tub I have to step into. I like CSR because I tend to be able to get a walk in shower and the toilet sits up high there for some reason - compared to other resorts. If you can move resorts to get an HA room it may be worth it - hoping it all works out as I'm sure it will! It always does I tell myself!!! :)
I worked with a Physical Therapist who had both knees done at once. He figured since he was a PT and was very familiar with rehab after knee replacement, it would be no problem. He figured, one time getting put under, one surgery, one rehab period.
He later told anyone who would listen that if you have 2 of any body part, never get them both operated on at the same time!

One thing to keep in mind - even without a request for first floor, there is about a 50% chance you will end up with first floor anyway. Some people actually request 2nd floor because they like the view up higher. So, hopefully everything will work out fine.
When you get there, just talk to the desk CM and make sure they know you need first floor and would like handicapped accessible room if possible. When you get your room assignment, the number will be something like 2014 or 2024. The first 2 numbers are the building number - in this case, building 20. The second 2 numbers are the room; 19 or less is first floor. Anything in the 20s is 2nd floor.
OKW is our DVC home resort, we do get an accessible room with either roll in shower or tub with grab bars because our daughter is a full time wheelchair user. It's not always easy, even at 11 months out to get an accessible room we need without going on a wait list for at least a day or 2. When our daughter was little, we didn't book an accessible room, but always got first floor for mobility reasons.
Good luck and hope you have a good trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter