Evening Events

disney minnie

DIS Veteran
First trip to Disneyland and California. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary, traveling with 2 kids (19 and 14), staying on property at the Grand Californian and going the end of May. I’m hoping Star Wars opening does not happen while we are there since it will open at Disney World soon and we go a lot. We are really interested in the rides that are not at Disney World more than anything. I can’t wait for Mr. Toads Wild Ride for memory sake.

It looks like the evening events are Fantasmic, Paint the Night and World of Color (If it opens). Am I missing something?

While we are there there are 3 grad nights? What time will Disneyland close? May 28, 29, 31

Is this correct...

California Adventure
World of Color - want dessert party
Paint the Night - anything go along with this?

Disneyland
Fantasmic - anything go along with this? Looks like we would have to go May 30. Is this show different than the one at Disney World? We have been to that a lot so if we needed to miss something this might be my choice.

We will be there 4 nights. The 4th night I’m looking at doing the Napa Rose Chef Counter- haven’t decided with or without kids (19 and 14)

Obviously Club 33 would be amazing... what other restaurants should I not miss? We want to experience the most that we can and still thoroughly enjoy our days. We will probably go early, take a pool/nap break mid day and then go back in the early evening.

Have you seen any official announcement that PTN will be back for your dates? Mickey's Mix Magic should be showing nightly at DL -- not sure whether fireworks will be nightly by your dates. Right now the projections are nightly and fireworks are weekends only. F! at DL is almost unanimously considered to be better than the one at WDW. I wouldn't skip it, but would make sure to book a Dining Package for the best view. Bob Iger announced in a recent interview that June will be the opening month for SWGE. But there might be media and preview events happening before the opening date. DL should stay open later on Grad Nites to compensate for DCA being closed to non-grads.
As for restaurants: what sort of food do you like? CCR or the CC Lounge can be very fun. If the weather is nice, you can do drinks and appetizers on the CC terrace upstairs (age limit on this one -- 21 and up, I think). Trader Sam's at the DLH is very popular. Lamplight Lounge can be a fun, casual dinner. Some people say BB is a must -- not necessarily for us, but it is our favorite F! Dining Package meal. Look over the menus for DLR and see what really jumps out at you, then come back to ask any questions.

I didn’t realize Paint the Night was happening at this point. I knew about World of Color and Fantastic.

I saw the interview, know about the press events and projected opening to the public June 21. Just personally hoping it happens after we leave so we can enjoy the other stuff. I’m sure there is someone hoping the opposite to fit their plans.

I thought grad night was in Disneyland.

We eat almost everything. Since we are possibly already going to Napa Rose what are the other dining options for the Fantasmic package

... I thought grad night was in Disneyland.

We eat almost everything. Since we are possibly already going to Napa Rose what are the other dining options for the Fantasmic package

The Scoop on Grad Nites: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400. GN party is in DCA. Students have the choice of 3 kinds of tickets: hoppers, DCA, or party only.
F! Dining Packages can be found on the DLR website under "Dining" -- BB, RBT, and HB. (Prices high to low in that order. All reserved viewing in good to great, center & waterfront.)

Well that means I only have one night in CA to do anything. Bummer since they have most of the events. Time to move things around on my calendar

Well that means I only have one night in CA to do anything. Bummer since they have most of the events. Time to move things around on my calendar
Well, currently DCA has no nighttime entertainment. None. WOC is "rumored" to be back by Memorial Day, possibly mid-April. But there has been no official word on that. PTN is supposedly undergoing a refurb right now. No official word on a return date yet. DL has MMM right now and will have F! starting in early March. They have Soundsational running twice a day -- not nighttime, but the second show is early evening.
Have a backup plan for your evenings, just in case things don't return on schedule or Disney announces something entirely different from your expectations.

Last edited:
I hope WOC is back up for your trip. IMO that would be the on "Do Not Miss It" show. The dessert party is pricey but does help. Make sure you get advice here where to sit and not sit.

IMO the next thing to not miss is PTN, also if it is back.

Then Fantasmic! would be nice to see. Skip the DL fireworks until they put a good show back on. Right now HEA at MK beats DL. I agree this is worth doing a dining package for. Even more so than WOC.

For day shows, plan time to see Frozen at DCA. The rest of the shows are nice but not terribly important to see - Soundsational, MMM.

:wizard:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter