Ever been diagnosed with addonitis?

Let’s see, I had it first, when our points just didn’t give us enough flexibility. We both got it during a cruise (don’t stay to talk at the DVC kiosk, just get your gifts and leave). Our third time was on a DVC cruise, where they made us an offer we couldn’t refuse. On second thought, maybe cruises are bad (nah!).

I think the only cure is when you get to the point where you have enough points to cover your stays without borrowing. I think we’re at that point, maybe….🤔

That's a good point. I was adding up what we've spent on DVC the last year and yeah...it's a lot.

We've had future plans of a huge backyard renovation that will have a large price tag. And I was thinking about how because of DVC, that project is definitely getting pushed a couple years. I mean, I don't regret it, by any means, because I'm excited about DVC and our upcoming trips. But the reality is that if definitely effects others aspects in our life. And it will keep up from adding a lot more in the future, I think.

We recently met with a mortgage broker to discuss the sale of our current home and the purchase of a larger home. Over 12 years, we have accumulated over 1,000 points, which costs about $750 per month in DVC dues. Again, we actively use our membership and have many cherished memories with family. However, our current monthly dues payment reduces our pre-approval amount by $43,000.

Buying 25- and 50-point contracts with cash is easy. Dues, billed monthly, may have a greater financial impact.

I bought my second contract one year after the first and I hadn't even stayed DVC once yet! Addonitis site unseen! But that was in 2013 and since then I haven't had any relapse, am I cured?

Let’s see, I had it first, when our points just didn’t give us enough flexibility. We both got it during a cruise (don’t stay to talk at the DVC kiosk, just get your gifts and leave). Our third time was on a DVC cruise, where they made us an offer we couldn’t refuse. On second thought, maybe cruises are bad (nah!).

I think the only cure is when you get to the point where you have enough points to cover your stays without borrowing. I think we’re at that point, maybe….🤔
I this this is about right. We bank points every year and haven’t borrowed points in over 15 years, so I think we are good.

I this this is about right. We bank points every year and haven’t borrowed points in over 15 years, so I think we are good.
I've got it so bad I haven't even given myself time to assess my point usage.

First add-on 3 months after initial purchase. Second add-on 7 months after that. I'm not even a year in yet.

But, I think I'm good now, lol.

Totally cured with Disney's resale restrictions. Add in the last 2 tower additions that have all the charm of a Holiday Inn, neither my wife nor I have any desire to add on.
Same question as PP, and also wondering if you've stayed in either?

No Holiday Inn I've stayed in could compare to my recent stays in VDH or Riviera.

OTOH, I can't say I woke up any smarter at either of the latter two :earboy2:

Last edited:
Based on your name, I assume you own at BLT. Out of curiosity, do you think the BLT building has more charm than the new buildings?
BLT was my first DVC purchase. Say what you want, the design is unique compared to anything else in WDW. However, it was not the design that drew me to BLT, but the easy 10 min walk to MK And the 2 bathrooms in a 1 bedroom suite. Also, my main point is my dislike of resale restrictions which does not exist with BLT. Here is hoping the new Poly Tower is part of the existing Poly Assoc so there are no restrictions.

BLT was my first DVC purchase. Say what you want, the design is unique compared to anything else in WDW. However, it was not the design that drew me to BLT, but the easy 10 min walk to MK And the 2 bathrooms in a 1 bedroom suite. Also, my main point is my dislike of resale restrictions which does not exist with BLT. Here is hoping the new Poly Tower is part of the existing Poly Assoc so there are no restrictions.
It's kind of a mid-century modern vibe right? I like that.

Currently afflicted.

First bought resale and then added VGF direct last year. Not a bad plan but wow it is easy to still need more points!

I’m trying to patiently wait to see if Poly Tower has a round of great incentives - good enough to buy direct like VGF was. We prefer direct to avoid issues down the line. Want full use of the points and full access to member benefits and we’ve already run into issues with planning and not having the right points used at the right times, etc. No regrets buying VGF direct. Looked at resale today and out of the 60 contracts, none cost less per point than what we paid direct.

But it’s a really itchy case of addonitis making me peek at a resale search engine and scratch my itchy finger on keyboard, each time getting closer to making resale transaction. Itchy itchy scratch scratch scratch. Wait for Poly!!!

It's kind of a mid-century modern vibe right? I like that.
I truly dig the aesthetic at BLT. It’s a cool resort.

Before we stayed I read many people calling it bland. The building looked like that might be the case. Other than round, just a concrete tower. I also watched videos of the Grand Villa and those looked less attractive than other resorts. We’ve stayed twice now and there’s alot of details and experience to unwrap. It’s like it keeps getting better.

Thanks for answering. I didn't say anything either way about BLT. I've never been there. I was just curious your thoughts on the aesthetic vs. the newer towers you didn't like. My opinions are only based on pictures which isn't always accurate since you can't really feel a 'vibe' through pics.

I agree that the resale restrictions are a killer and definitely makes me less likely to purchase one of the newer places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter