Ever feel like you can not afford WDW vacations anymore?

I like having a kitchen but I won't cook anything except maybe popcorn. I love being able to easily heat things and having a decent size fridge is priceless imo. It's also nice to just eat a salad or something easy like that.

We always eat out while on a trip but there is way more than just Disney restaurants that we enjoy. Orlando has a lot of good restaurants.

We are approaching retirement age.
We still have a mortgage on our house, so in a few years, maybe downsize and use
the equity in the house to buy a smaller place to live and afford on a limited income.

With the increase tickets and room prices at WDW, we may not be able to afford WDW anymore :sad:

Anyone else thinking they can not afford WDW anymore?

I can still afford vacations in retirement, WDW included. I planned my retired life that way and thank goodness it worked. There are other places I'd like to visit before I leave this earth and some of them will cost more and some less than Disney.

I agree. I’ve priced other vacations & I find them on par or more expensive. We do splurge on dining & the resort when we go, but we are also just a family of 3. I have friends who spend more than us & stay value b/c they have more kids.

I read this a lot but we haven't found it to be the case. We do have more kids (3 of our own and often an extra tagging along) but that's true on other trips too, and they still come in way under Disney. Part of it is the better availability of sleeps-5 (or 6) rooms in the "real world", but the ticket costs are really the killer and even for a family of three that's $1500+ now. Our entire upcoming trip for four to Boston will cost less than three five-day Disney park hoppers.

I read this a lot but we haven't found it to be the case. We do have more kids (3 of our own and often an extra tagging along) but that's true on other trips too, and they still come in way under Disney. Part of it is the better availability of sleeps-5 (or 6) rooms in the "real world", but the ticket costs are really the killer and even for a family of three that's $1500+ now. Our entire upcoming trip for four to Boston will cost less than three five-day Disney park hoppers.
Maybe it’s the other destinations that I’ve priced.

Do you not want to go to other destinations or do you just want to go to WDW over and over again? Do you price out a trip to London and New York and then say WDW is cheaper I'll just go there?

As far as theme park vacations go WDW is very expensive, but there's a great big world out there to explore. Did it cost us more to go to Norway or Iceland or take a Med cruise...yes, but not that much more. Was NYC outrageous....Yes. You have to look at the cost of each vacation and what your getting out of it. Going to WDW every vacation would get really boring IMHO.

We got a good deal last time we went to Disney because dd was still free and my aunt gifted us her dvc points so we stayed 9 days at boardwalk villas.
We are thinking of going back next year and I know it’s going to be pricey. Dh is of the opinion that the longer you stay the better bang for your buck it is because adding those extra days to the park pass is not much once you reach the 5 day pass.
I remember when the park hoppers didn’t have expirations so we were able to use them on two separate trips.

We are approaching retirement age.
We still have a mortgage on our house, so in a few years, maybe downsize and use
the equity in the house to buy a smaller place to live and afford on a limited income.

With the increase tickets and room prices at WDW, we may not be able to afford WDW anymore :sad:

Anyone else thinking they can not afford WDW anymore?

No more amusement rides for us. We cannot do them anymore, due to medical conditions. Now that REALLY stinks.

I wish they had a "ticket" for those that do not ride rides.

Last edited:

Do you not want to go to other destinations or do you just want to go to WDW over and over again? Do you price out a trip to London and New York and then say WDW is cheaper I'll just go there?

As far as theme park vacations go WDW is very expensive, but there's a great big world out there to explore. Did it cost us more to go to Norway or Iceland or take a Med cruise...yes, but not that much more. Was NYC outrageous....Yes. You have to look at the cost of each vacation and what your getting out of it. Going to WDW every vacation would get really boring IMHO.
To each his/her own. We still like WDW a lot so yes I look at vacation destinations & think “for that I can go to WDW cheaper”. There are some destinations we do want to see, but DS is still very young so we will wait until he is older. Funny ppl wait to go to wdw til the kids can remember it, but we go to wdw all the time. I want to wait til he can remember the other destinations that we’ll likely only do once. There are many vacation destinations that ppl go that just don’t interest us. I have no interest in the beach or US cities. I like in a city & while they are different, they’re also similar. I also have a fear of flying. I can tolerate flights under 2-3 hours, but I don’t think I could handle transatlantic flights so I don’t even consider places like Europe.

That's a huge part of it...what destinations are you interested in and then what cost/value do they represent? I have zero interest in taking a cruise, and zero interest in going to Europe. A cruise is something I'm genuinely not interested in doing at any cost, even if it were free. Europe I wouldn't be completely opposed to, but it's very low on my interest rating, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. The destinations I am interested in are either very expensive (Bahamas) or may bore the kids (Vegas). So that's part of the reason we keep coming back to Florida.

That's a huge part of it...what destinations are you interested in and then what cost/value do they represent? I have zero interest in taking a cruise, and zero interest in going to Europe. A cruise is something I'm genuinely not interested in doing at any cost, even if it were free. Europe I wouldn't be completely opposed to, but it's very low on my interest rating, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. The destinations I am interested in are either very expensive (Bahamas) or may bore the kids (Vegas). So that's part of the reason we keep coming back to Florida.
I guarantee you your kid would not be bored in Vegas. Bahamas would be boring.

I think a lot of it depends on the person, options available, how often a family/individual travels, what they enjoy, etc.

I got bit by the Disney bug last year when I visited WDW for a week for the first time in almost 20 years. For me, that vacation was very worth the money it cost. I would love to do something similar again soon. However, I also don't want to do it to the point where it just becomes a thing I do. And it will be awhile before I can do another week long trip there, both financially and because I never want WDW to be my only vacation. I love to travel and have other favorite places I like to visit either annually or every few years. But as an adult that is only paying for myself and travels with friends, I find WDW to be a great investment and did not think it was too expensive, for me. I can see how that would change greatly as soon as you're involving multiple children, larger families, etc. But that's true of anywhere, especially places that has costs for various elements of the trip like WDW.

That all said, DLR is a great way to get a big taste of Disney for a fraction of the price. I loved doing a long, full day at DLR when on a trip to the west coast (it was only a portion of my trip, where I hit SF, LA and SD). I have never gone to DLR for more than a day at a time but I find it very satisfying and would likely go back there for a short visit (maybe two days next time!) before my next WDW visit comes around.

I guarantee you your kid would not be bored in Vegas. Bahamas would be boring.

Nope, other way around. We've been to both Vegas and the Bahamas multiple times. We certainly could find things for the kids to do, but we'd be searching a bit harder. Our kids LOVE pools, water slides, those types of activities. Atlantis has that stuff in spades.

I think a lot of it depends on the person, options available, how often a family/individual travels, what they enjoy, etc.

I got bit by the Disney bug last year when I visited WDW for a week for the first time in almost 20 years. For me, that vacation was very worth the money it cost. I would love to do something similar again soon. However, I also don't want to do it to the point where it just becomes a thing I do. And it will be awhile before I can do another week long trip there, both financially and because I never want WDW to be my only vacation. I love to travel and have other favorite places I like to visit either annually or every few years. But as an adult that is only paying for myself and travels with friends, I find WDW to be a great investment and did not think it was too expensive, for me. I can see how that would change greatly as soon as you're involving multiple children, larger families, etc. But that's true of anywhere, especially places that has costs for various elements of the trip like WDW.

That all said, DLR is a great way to get a big taste of Disney for a fraction of the price. I loved doing a long, full day at DLR when on a trip to the west coast (it was only a portion of my trip, where I hit SF, LA and SD). I have never gone to DLR for more than a day at a time but I find it very satisfying and would likely go back there for a short visit (maybe two days next time!) before my next WDW visit comes around.
I agree with on Disneyland. It's a much easier vacation. Now when I visit WDW I only take my youngest son who is 14. He loves the place and as long as he loves we'll go. When the 4 of us travel we go places that are more interesting. We just got back from a Quebec cruise which was amazing. I don't think I'd spend the money on WDW with the 4 of us going. It would cost more then a European cruise.

I always see posts where people say they want to wait until there kids are older to travel to more interesting places. I don't think you can really predict what your kids interests are going to be in the future. Especially teenagers. They are not necessarily easier then traveling with young children. They get bored so easily.

Nope, other way around. We've been to both Vegas and the Bahamas multiple times. We certainly could find things for the kids to do, but we'd be searching a bit harder. Our kids LOVE pools, water slides, those types of activities. Atlantis has that stuff in spades.
It sounded like from your post you hadn't been to either.

For us its about value, not cost. I am willing to pay a premium if I believe I am getting a good value for what I pay for. But Disney has increased costs at the same time they have reduced services. So yes, our next trip will be our last one for several years.

To me it seems WDW and Atlantis are somewhat similar style vacations, what I consider instant gratification destinations. Once the destination is booked and you arrive all that's left is to indulge the appetite for enjoyment. When that's the style of vacation we were in need of, WDW was the go to.

For us WDW took itself out of that lane when it reached the tipping point where the preplanning and diligent research necessary began to equate to what was necessary to travel to previously unknown destinations that are not self contained destinations. When the way the parks are managed impinged further and further into the latitude of the guests to freely and conveniently partake in park amenities while premiums for access continue to soar WDW not only lost the advantage to other destinations, it created room to consider whether the amenities offered overall deserved to be in the same category of what equates to first class or premium offerings elsewhere.

Frankly WDW comes up short in direct comparison to things such as lodging and dining at the premium level offered at other destinations. Ah, but part of the premium at WDW is the location in proximity to the parks. That might hold up if TWDC hadn't let the parks molder for a good decade-plus and allow capacity to fall so far behind the increasing attendance numbers. It's telling that their first significant investment after many years of slumbering instead of answering answering attendance with fresh offerings was so-called Magic Bands. Really? You have one park perpetually bursting at the seams and 3 virtually on life support and you thank your loyal customers with Magic Bands? Color me not impressed. Frankly if I'm going to pay a premium I expect a premium product in return.

I realize WDW hasn't really focused as much on their attractions in their advertising for the past several years now. But I find it absurd that I should plan a visit and pay a premium for visiting and staying within proximity to the parks and not expect the freedom and convenience of actually enjoying said attractions. If the attractions aren't supposed to be why I come, then why exactly do I need to pay a premium to stay there, to eat there, to play there?

Maybe. And of course, location and means of travel make a big difference - I'm near Detroit, so most of the major cities of the midwest and northeast are within a day's drive. Assuming you're still in the general vicinity suggested by your screen name, you'd have to factor in a lot more travel time and/or money to get to Boston, Chicago, DC, Toronto (all destinations that we've done more than once). I'm also a total research-geek, so I put a lot of time into planning travel to get the most bang for our buck.

There are some destinations we do want to see, but DS is still very young so we will wait until he is older. Funny ppl wait to go to wdw til the kids can remember it, but we go to wdw all the time. I want to wait til he can remember the other destinations that we’ll likely only do once.

We were the same way on that count. We waited on certain big trips - going overseas, for example, or to places where hiking and other strenuous outdoor activity is a major part of the appeal - until our kids were old enough to enjoy and remember those trips. Disney, on the other hand, was the perfect trip with little kids and we went about a dozen times while we had kids under 10 in the household. But the trips we have coming up over the next few years - a western US national parks trip, an extended stay in Japan - I wouldn't do with a child too young to remember or to participate fully.

To me it seems WDW and Atlantis are somewhat similar style vacations, what I consider instant gratification destinations. Once the destination is booked and you arrive all that's left is to indulge the appetite for enjoyment. When that's the style of vacation we were in need of, WDW was the go to.

For us WDW took itself out of that lane when it reached the tipping point where the preplanning and diligent research necessary began to equate to what was necessary to travel to previously unknown destinations that are not self contained destinations. When the way the parks are managed impinged further and further into the latitude of the guests to freely and conveniently partake in park amenities while premiums for access continue to soar WDW not only lost the advantage to other destinations, it created room to consider whether the amenities offered overall deserved to be in the same category of what equates to first class or premium offerings elsewhere.

Frankly WDW comes up short in direct comparison to things such as lodging and dining at the premium level offered at other destinations. Ah, but part of the premium at WDW is the location in proximity to the parks. That might hold up if TWDC hadn't let the parks molder for a good decade-plus and allow capacity to fall so far behind the increasing attendance numbers. It's telling that their first significant investment after many years of slumbering instead of answering answering attendance with fresh offerings was so-called Magic Bands. Really? You have one park perpetually bursting at the seams and 3 virtually on life support and you thank your loyal customers with Magic Bands? Color me not impressed. Frankly if I'm going to pay a premium I expect a premium product in return.

I realize WDW hasn't really focused as much on their attractions in their advertising for the past several years now. But I find it absurd that I should plan a visit and pay a premium for visiting and staying within proximity to the parks and not expect the freedom and convenience of actually enjoying said attractions. If the attractions aren't supposed to be why I come, then why exactly do I need to pay a premium to stay there, to eat there, to play there?

To your first paragraph, yep, absolutely. Atlantis does have similarities to WDW, without a doubt. There's just so much to do. DW and I tried a different resort in the Bahamas, many years ago...before we had kids...we were bored to tears by the 5th day and were excited to leave. Don't get me wrong, we're not park commandos. We only do 4-6 hours per day in the park. At the same time, I couldn't do an all inclusive resort where the only thing to do was sit at the beach and drink (I don't drink anyway).

For the rest of it, just depends on your WDW views. Most of this thread has lots of Disney dislike. As noted, I don't feel that way at all. We don't plan our trips much, don't feel the need to. So for us, that's not an issue at all. We stay off site, because that's precisely what we want. We don't do premium stuff, we don't have the money (or better said that we could have the money if we wanted to do one 7 day trip, but we choose to do several long trips instead and forgo the "premium" stuff). We don't feel a lot of the negativity that others do. Is WDW perfect? Nope, not at all. Things definitely need updating, there's work that can be done. But on the whole, we still see it as very pixiedust:. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not criticizing you (or anyone) for their views. It's a very subjective thing, and there's no right or wrong answer. But I guess that's the whole point of this discussion, right? So you can ignore my pointless rambling... :D

To your first paragraph, yep, absolutely. Atlantis does have similarities to WDW, without a doubt. There's just so much to do. DW and I tried a different resort in the Bahamas, many years ago...before we had kids...we were bored to tears by the 5th day and were excited to leave. Don't get me wrong, we're not park commandos. We only do 4-6 hours per day in the park. At the same time, I couldn't do an all inclusive resort where the only thing to do was sit at the beach and drink (I don't drink anyway).

For the rest of it, just depends on your WDW views. Most of this thread has lots of Disney dislike. As noted, I don't feel that way at all. We don't plan our trips much, don't feel the need to. So for us, that's not an issue at all. We stay off site, because that's precisely what we want. We don't do premium stuff, we don't have the money (or better said that we could have the money if we wanted to do one 7 day trip, but we choose to do several long trips instead and forgo the "premium" stuff). We don't feel a lot of the negativity that others do. Is WDW perfect? Nope, not at all. Things definitely need updating, there's work that can be done. But on the whole, we still see it as very pixiedust:. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not criticizing you (or anyone) for their views. It's a very subjective thing, and there's no right or wrong answer. But I guess that's the whole point of this discussion, right? So you can ignore my pointless rambling... :D

I don't begrudge people who go to WDW and enjoy their vacations. I feel that those who visit should enjoy themselves. I would say that if you're a WDW guest you are paying for a premium experience, period, and as such you deserve a premium experience.

We've stopped going because for us the resort simply doesn't deliver a premium experience at any price anymore. In our case I can't even chalk it up to familiarity breeding contempt because we didn't go anything close to yearly. I've visited 5 times total since 1972. Our oldest daughter has been 3 times and our youngest twice. We'd all be back with bells on if we could simply drop our bags and wander the parks and get in line for whatever attraction or show that struck our fancy as we chose. That's simply no longer realistic in the age of standby lines with FP+. None of us are down with the need to follow a set schedule everyday on vacation and we all are bored stiff with the idea of making the choice between following a schedule, waiting in endless lines or shopping in tedious stores. If I'm going to decide to find a spot simply to people watch and enjoy the scenery and ambiance of my surroundings there are countless destinations that offer more scenery, more ambiance and people watching with many more comfortable vantage points -- and more palatable pricing to boot.

For now I'm waiting and watching for signs of another change of direction at WDW. I'm not very hopeful, but I would like to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter