Ever feel like you've had someone visit you in a dream?

ReneeA

DIS Veteran
In keeping with the "help the board move" theme:

Ever feel like you've had someone, alive or dead, visit you in a dream? I have a few times, the most realistic still sticks with me 10 years later.

I was working nights as a RN, and came home from work to collapse in bed. While I was working nights and sleeping during the day, my dreams were always more vivid and easy to remember.

When I was young, my cousin Carrie and I were very close. Then her mom (my aunt) died of breast cancer when I was 11 and she was 12. Her dad withdrew from life, and pulled their family away from ours. I think we were a reminder of what he had lost. I never saw her again after the funeral.

I came home that morning, fell sound asleep and dreamt of my aunt. She was a patient of mine, dying. It was so real, I could feel myself tearing up in my sleep. I held her hand and she kept repeating over and over again... please find Carrie. Please find Carrie. Please find Carrie. I woke up, got out of bed after only sleeping for a short time, and looked Carrie up on Facebook. I wasn't very active there, so hadn't thought about looking for her in the past. Her profile popped right up, and she accepted my friend request immediately. Then I got the alert that it was her birthday, that very day. I felt like it was a sign that her mom was trying to reach out to her.

I hesitated to tell her that story, and didn't right away. I didn't want her to think I was a lunatic since we had lost touch so many years prior. Instead we got reacquainted, and I told her that about a year later. She was so happy and thankful to hear it, and felt that it was a message from her mom, too.

I've had a few instances of very realistic dreams where I felt like I had visitors, but that one felt so real. Anyone else?

Very soon after my Grandmother died, I had a dream that I was in a dim bedroom. She was in the bed and sat up and motioned to me. I went over and she took my hand. It was dry and cool, just like her hands always were, and I could even feel her rings. She said "I love you" over and over again until I woke up. I hadn't been able to go and see her before she passed from Brain cancer and had felt so guilty. I really feel that she came to me in a visitation to let me know that all was well between us.

Right after my Mom died, I mean that same night, I finally fell asleep after three days of sitting with the rest of my family around her bed waiting for the end. Suddenly, there my Mom was holding me in her arms as we flew up up up through a night sky filled with stars-she looked at me and said, "I'm going to Heaven and you can come, too." I woke up, guess I didn't take her up on it, but I will someday.

And lastly, I had to put my dog to sleep after he (at age 17) had a major stroke and was also blinded by the stroke. It was horrible and even though I know he went to Heaven (All Dogs Go To Heaven), I felt horribly guilty that an animal who trusted me was put down by my decision. Yes, I know it was the best thing I could have done, but I still felt really bad. A little while later I was dreaming that I was talking to my sister in my room, when all of a sudden there was Freckles jumping on my lap all excited and licking my face. I felt his nails digging into my leg and his tongue scraping across my face. It was just like he was there, and after that I was at peace with my decision because I knew he was happy.

Take these tales any way you like. To me, they give me comfort because I know in my heart that I'll be seeing all of my loved ones again when it's my turn to go.

Yea my mom and dad a lot I dream of
My dad passed away when I was 12 and my mom passed when I was 21 now I’m 52 and the last few years I really miss them and the dreams I have are so realistic about them.

Ron

Yea my mom and dad a lot I dream of
My dad passed away when I was 12 and my mom passed when I was 21 now I’m 52 and the last few years I really miss them and the dreams I have are so realistic about them.

Ron

I haven't lost either one of my parents yet. I'm sure it's probably easy to dream of them once they're gone.:angel:

I seldom remmeber my dreams, and dont put much vaul in the ones I do remember,but sometimes I feel like there is something in them

Every once in a while I have very realistic dreams about my grandparents. I grew up with them and I was there when they both passed. I always do feel like they're visiting me when I dream about them.

One of my cousins passed away in January 2009. A year or two later, in a dream we had a nice conversation, but when he "had to leave" I woke up crying.

Before I even got pregnant, I had a dream about my son. He looked exactly like he does now, except my dream son had blue eyes and my real one has brown.

When I did get pregnant, it was with quadruplets, my son plus identical triplets. The triplets passed away between 10-12 weeks. I still have dreams about them once in a while - it was too early to know for sure if they were boys or girls, but in my dreams, they are always girls. Who happen to look quite a bit like their brother.

I have had a few of these. But my DH (of all people) had one the other night. He told me about it that evening, saying he couldn't stop thinking about it all day. In it were two people close to him who've passed, his brother, and an aunt. His brother was walking with our son and one of his, out to a pool, being his usual self. His aunt was sitting in another room and bent sideways to look at DH. There was also an old friend in the dream, still living, and that was sort of the weird part, like what was he doing there - not only did he have no connection to the brother or aunt (other than they were all from the same general area), he and DH haven't seen eachother in years. It struck me as kind of strange, so I looked him up. To my amazement, this friend's father, who we knew, had literally just passed away, his wake and funeral were the next day! When I told DH that he nearly :faint: ! He's never really had this type of dream before and it still hasn't left him (which is often the case with a visitation dream!).

Since my father passed, I sometimes dream of him. It’s usually just something routine like him telling me he loves me from his smoking spot on the front porch as I get in my car to leave. I really do feel as though he’s reaching out.

When I was around eight weeks pregnant, my grandfather (who had died in 2004; I was pregnant in 2008) appeared in a dream holding a bright pink poster board that said "Congratulations!". I woke up in tears and knew from then on I was going to have a daughter!

My son died this past June. Several weeks later, I fell asleep on the couch and had a dream that my son was standing next to the couch. I got up and told my youngest son (who, in the dream, was standing at the entrance to the room), "Look Bradley is here!" My youngest son responded, "I don't see him." Which to me indicates in my dream the acknowledgement that he had passed and it was his spirit. I happily hugged my son and we started dancing. That is all I remember, other than waking up in my bed laughing in my sleep in a half asleep/half awake state of mine thinking to myself that my husband laying next to me was going to wonder what I was laughing about. I woke up happy with some peace. There were no words spoken by my son in the dream but it was like he came to give me a final hug goodbye. He was not much for spoken words anyways.

My son died this past June. Several weeks later, I fell asleep on the couch and had a dream that my son was standing next to the couch. I got up and told my youngest son (who, in the dream, was standing at the entrance to the room), "Look Bradley is here!" My youngest son responded, "I don't see him." Which to me indicates in my dream the acknowledgement that he had passed and it was his spirit. I happily hugged my son and we started dancing. That is all I remember, other than waking up in my bed laughing in my sleep in a half asleep/half awake state of mine thinking to myself that my husband laying next to me was going to wonder what I was laughing about. I woke up happy with some peace. There were no words spoken by my son in the dream but it was like he came to give me a final hug goodbye. He was not much for spoken words anyways.
I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine how difficult the past few months have been for you family. I totally get the feeling of happiness and peace you woke up with though. My grandmothers visit me in my dreams every once in a while. One of them lived with us when we were growing up, so she was a part of my immediate family on a daily basis. Whenever they visit me, I wake up warm, happy and so grateful for the chance to spend some time with them.

My dad passed away about 7 months ago. I recently had a dream about him visiting me. He looked like how I best remember him, strong and stable, instead of when he died, emaciated and weak. I was still an adult in my dream, but I could fit curled up in his lap as I loved to do as a little girl. During the dream, I knew when I woke up that he would be gone and I said I wanted to stay, but knew I couldn't. I said goodbye right as I was waking up and my cheeks and pillow were soaked with tears.

Yes, sort of. I say that because the person hadn't passed yet. They passed the next day.

My FIL was dying of lung cancer. My ILs live about 2 hours from us and we would visit as often as we could. In 2010/2011 DH, DD & I went up and spent New Years Eve/Day with them. Then we went back up again the next week for my FIL's birthday. My MIL had a small party for him and he actually seemed better than he was at NYE. Later in the month just my DH went to visit and planned to just stay for the day (Saturday). When he got there he was surprised at how bad my FIL was doing. DH told me he was going to stay because he didn't want my MIL to be alone. He helped his mom and the hospice people set up a hospital bed for my FIL that weekend.

My DH was still at my ILs and I had a dream a couple of nights later. I had a dream that I walked into my ILs kitchen and my maternal grandmother who had passed several years prior was standing in front of me. She looked like she did when she was in her late 50's/early 60's - her face was fuller; not gaunt like it was when she was older and sick. Her mouth was moving but I couldn't hear what she was saying. I told her I couldn't hear her and then she said (and I heard) "I'm going to go check on him" and then she walked away.

I followed the direction she went (she was gone at that point) and I walked through my ILs dining room and into their living room. I saw my DH asleep in the recliner with his arms folded up behind his head. The hospital bed was in the living room and I approached it from behind. The head of the bed was elevated. I remember being nervous about what I'd see as I got closer and looked at my FIL. When I got to the side of the bed he was lying on his left side; partially hanging off the side and his oxygen tube was out of his nose. I went to put the oxygen tube back in but he grabbed my hand and said "I don't need that anymore". Then he said "Emily (my DD) is a lot like Stephen (my DH)". I responded "Oh yes, they are very much alike". And then he said "Remember to be nice to them". At that point I jolted awake.

I talked to my DH the next morning and told him about my dream. He was shocked. He said I had described the scene and events exactly. He was sleeping in the recliner just in the position I had said ..... the hospital bed was in the position and location that I saw ..... my FIL had pulled out his oxygen tube and was lying on his left side hanging off the side because he tried to get out of bed. My DH had woken up and put the oxygen tube back in and helped my FIL back into bed.

My FIL died the next day.

I always wonder of FIL and I were making a connection that night and when my DH went to help him the connection was broken and that is why I jolted awake. It was such a vivid dream. And I still remember every detail to this day.

Yes, I have heard that a dream that is vivid and stays with you in detail for years, is a real visitation. Other regular dreams fade away.
When our dear dog, scruffy, got to be in very poor health (blind, in pain, deaf) at the age of 17, we had to put him to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. You see, he was "my" dog. He followed me everywhere, sat on my lap, and slept on his doggy bed in our bedroom. I don't know how he knew what bedtime was, but if I wasn't in bed at 10 pm, he would stand in the bedroom doorway and stare at me. It was like he was saying, "it's bedtime, come on". I was distraught that night and very sad. I looked up at our bedroom doorway, and there he was, standing there staring at me. He was healthy looking with bright black eyes, a beautiful coat, and full weight. Just like he looked before he got sick. Then he gradually faded away. I know he came back to comfort me and let me see him healthy again and in peace. Make what you will of it, but it did happen, and I still miss him. He shows up in dreams too:)

This wasn't a dream but a story about a friends loved one who had passed. My friends mother had passed quite awhile ago. She said that her mom contacts her in very obvious ways on frequent basis. Love my friend, so I accepted her stories as her personal experience. We were all at work one day, standing around the nurses station and we were just charting and carrying on a light conversation as we worked. All of a sudden we all heard a disembodied voice say my friends name. My friend says "yes mom, I know you're here". My other coworker and I were like what in the heck just happened. My friend said, yes, it was my mom. I still don't know what to think about it nearly 10 years later.

Almost everyone close to me comes and says goodbye shortly after they die, with the exception of my grandma who came to be before she died.

My Aunt died suddenly from a brain aneurysm when she was in her early 40's. She was my Godmother, and we worked together in the same department when she passed away (I was on maternity leave when it happened) She came to me a few nights later and we sat at this old, dim, dark-ish bar and talked for what seemed like hours, but at the same time felt like only a minute. I wished we could have stayed and talked forever. She said she wanted to say goodbye and she loved me and would be my guardian angel. I told her that I wish she could be here to see DS18 grow up and she said she would still see him (he was 7 weeks old when she died) and make sure he was OK.

My dad's wife found out she had cancer throughout her body on Christmas Eve one year and was gone by Valentine's Day. She came and said goodbye to me the night after she died.

My grandma passed away in 2014. I spent a lot of time with her in the few years before she died but we moved out of state and I didn't get to see her much after that. She had dementia and it was getting worse and worse. She died in mid-August, and in June I had a dream that I visited her and she told me that she was going to die soon and she loved me and thanked me for helping her. The dream was so real that when I woke up, I immediately called my mom and asked if my grandma was OK. My mom told me that they were going to be moving her to the Hospice side of the facility and that she was not eating well or responding to much anymore. They had called my uncles in from across the country for their final goodbyes because it would be any day. She ended up hanging on for 7 more weeks, but the week that she came to me in that dream was the last week she was coherent. Her last 7 weeks she wasn't able to talk or barely eat or get up out of bed, and didn't really recognize anyone around her.

My great-grandparents and grandfather came and said goodbye, in an uneventful, sweet, caring way - very brief but very nice. My grandpa played a different trick on us, though - the first day of his wake was a long one - I was 18 and still living at home with all my younger siblings, so it was a hectic morning of trying to get everyone ready for the day. We left in a hurry at around 9:30am and didn't get back home until about 10pm. When we walked into the kitchen, there was a tealight candle burning in the window. I didn't light it, my mom didn't light it, my next-younger sister didn't light it, and the rest of the kids were much too young/small to reach the candle much less the matches. A tealight candle does not take more than 12 hours to burn down! And nobody was in the house all day - it was locked and everything except the candle was exactly the way we left it in the morning. I know it was my grandpa!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter