• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever have CM's take the Magic out of it?

I have never had a bad experience that resulted in a CM acting out of character or rude or anything like that. And I'm the type of person who remembers when something goes wrong. The CM's have always tried hard to make the experience enjoyable, even though not everyone's perfect. My last trip was this past April with the band/orchestra/choir from my high school and even when I was walking around in a group of teens they all seemed great, but the parks were not that full so maybe they get more testy around crowded times.

On our last trip, at HS at the drawing thing (not sure what it's called), something strange happened. It was a busy night and there were just a few slots left to get in. The Cm asked of the people in line who had never done it before. For the people that raised their hands (many at the back of the line), they were called forward to go in. After the doors closed, I asked the cm what he was doing. He said he thought it wasn't fair that some people went through once already and others hadn't. I said that we'd been before but not in over a year and we should have been with that last group. I also asked him what the point of having a line is. Here first? Sorry the guys behind you have never been - step aside.

We had one less than magical bus driver during our trip last month.

We were doing the rounds at CBR before heading to the parks. For some reason, the seats where they can put the scooters will still in their up position. Well, one person boards the bus, and sets their stroller down by the seats that are flipped up, and walks to the back of the bus. The bus driver didn't notice right away, not until he took a few turns and the stroller started to slide around a bit. At the next stop he waited until everyone had boarded, and then stomped his way to the stroller, picked it up, asked who it belonged to, and shoved it at that person.

He still didn't put the seats that were up into their down position. Next stop, someone else gets on and shoves their stroller over by those seats. Bus driver once again stomps his way to the stroller, demands to know who it belongs to, and shoves it at that person. Only then did he put the upright seats down.

It was very odd. First off, who sets their stroller down onto the ground on a bus and then walks away? I had never seen that before, let alone twice on the same bus ride. And then the bus driver was so grumpy about it! It was just odd.

Yup... I overheard CM's at Epcot talking about a VERY un Disney like topic. I won't post it though because last time I did the thread got deleted.... it was a little humorous to us though.

On Jan 7, we entered Epcot through the International Gateway. I was shocked to hear the two women CMs gossiping with each other about (presumably) another CM. Instead of the usual happy Disney greeting, they essentially ignored everyone coming through. Really sad...it "broke" the magic.

The only CM who really every truly ruined the magic for me was the waitress at Biergarten who retained our gift card number and helped herself to an additional $15 tip an hour after we left the restaurant.

That was after already leaving a 25% tip :furious:

Disney is one place where I feel I can be less guarded than in real life. I still take precautions. I don't leave my bags laying around unattended... but on other vacations I check my credit card statement daily. I've now started checking it daily at Disney as well...

Most of the CMs are really great but there were 2 in It's Tough to Be a Bug that were very rude. I use a wheelchair and am also hard of hearing although you can't tell by my speech. I got to the doors and try to tell the guy that I will need captioning and her just turns and ignores me. We go in and I remind him about needing captions. He gets angry with me and tells me should have told him before we entered. (I had tried) Told me it was too late and I would have to sit through this show and then go get back in line. I tell him that we will leave and a female CM comes over to see what is happening. Tell her we want to leave since he was refusing to accommodate my needs. She gives me a song and dance about being so sorry but they need to start the show and I will have to wait through it. I spoke and signed emphatically that I wanted to leave and I saw no reason to sit through a show I could not hear. She told me to stop flapping my hands at her, she wasn't stupid then finally let us leave. I have't been back to that show since. Ruined it for me completely.

Most of the CMs are really great but there were 2 in It's Tough to Be a Bug that were very rude. I use a wheelchair and am also hard of hearing although you can't tell by my speech. I got to the doors and try to tell the guy that I will need captioning and her just turns and ignores me. We go in and I remind him about needing captions. He gets angry with me and tells me should have told him before we entered. (I had tried) Told me it was too late and I would have to sit through this show and then go get back in line. I tell him that we will leave and a female CM comes over to see what is happening. Tell her we want to leave since he was refusing to accommodate my needs. She gives me a song and dance about being so sorry but they need to start the show and I will have to wait through it. I spoke and signed emphatically that I wanted to leave and I saw no reason to sit through a show I could not hear. She told me to stop flapping my hands at her, she wasn't stupid then finally let us leave. I have't been back to that show since. Ruined it for me completely.

Wow... that's just unacceptable. I'm so sorry that they didn't provide you with the captioning device :worried:

You do know that these are just normal people, mostly college kids and retirees. They live normal lives. Have the same stress and worries we have. Can only take so many guests yelling at them all day for rides breaking down or lines that are too long. Everybody has a bad day at work.

Peter Fan said:
You do know that these are just normal people, mostly college kids and retirees. They live normal lives. Have the same stress and worries we have. Can only take so many guests yelling at them all day for rides breaking down or lines that are too long. Everybody has a bad day at work.

I know its disney and its magically. But i couldn't agree more. Give people a break. Not everyone can but awesome all the time. Some aren't good ever its sometimes just a job to cm's cuz it is.

Slightly off-topic, but this one makes our family just chuckle. While taking our picture at CRT, Cinderella let out a 'toot". Just goes to show they're really just human beings.

Oh god that poor Cindy. I hope she was able to laughit off, that kind of thing would haunt me forever. :eek:

I feel for all of those families which young kids in the character lines. My best friend is a Character Attendant CM. he has told me countless of stories where he has to leave families turned away. The ones who tend to throw a fit, remember this. Those "Characters", who usually put a smile on your child's face, are people too. It gets hot in there. Those attendants have strict schedules they have to follow. How would you feel if you were the one in the suit, sweating bullets, an your attendant keeps letting families in? It is a vicious cycle.

I understand the CMs have bad days at work sometimes but some of the behavior I've read on this thread is incredibly rude. Like, uncivilized behavior. In a few of these situations I would have asked to speak with a supervisor. If you want to work for Disney, act like it.

lstylr said:
I understand the CMs have bad days at work sometimes but some of the behavior I've read on this thread is incredibly rude. Like, uncivilized behavior. In a few of these situations I would have asked to speak with a supervisor. If you want to work for Disney, act like it.

This is definitely what should be done if the behavior is outrageous. At that point the Supervisor can determine if it is out of character for that person or if it is an ongoing problem.

When I first started my CP, I had driven to the main gates at MK and asked a CM how to get to Disney University. He was nice until I asked for directions, then he was SO RUDE to me! As soon as he saw I was a cast member like him any trace of politeness vanished. :duck:

Every so often, on my way to work, I'd drive through the main gates at the MK just for a change of pace. I had that guy multiple times and he was incredibly rude EVERY TIME I came through. He took the wind right out of my sails...honestly the last thing I needed before a 10 hour shift was a rude cast member who was on the clock! :headache:

When my family was visiting, we ended up in his line at the gate and he was just sweet as pie to my parents. I was in the backseat so he didn't see me.

I should have reported the guy. I regret not doing so. :(

I admit, one day I was working the topping bar at Cosmic's and the Tangled meet and greet was going on across the street. I commented to another CM about how hot her wig must have been when she was standing in the sun. :scared1:There were no guests at the time, but I was HORRIFIED I had made such a comment. I immediately corrected myself to say 'but I'm sure she's used to having such beautiful natural hair so of course the heat won't bother her'

When I was working there, the biggest things that ruined the magic daily were seeing the CM's smoking everywhere backstage and how snotty some of the princesses were when they were off duty. :rolleyes2

lstylr said:

I hope you dont believe everything that is said on here. People tend to exaggerate a bit!

I observed one CM being not-so-magical to a guest during the Main Street Electrical Parade. We found a bench across the "street" of Liberty Tree Tavern in front of the Riverboat that we could see pretty close from. Nearby, there is a walkway that is behind the parade traffic. A few people were stopping there to watch the parade. There is a wall of stones that gradually grows taller as the walkway progresses. A couple of ladies were standing on a stone that was probably 3 inches off the ground. It was where the "wall" began. The parade starts coming around the corner. A few floats pass. A young woman CM must have been put in charge of keeping the walkways clear. She approaches the ladies on the 3 inch wall and tells them to get down for their safety. They get down. One lady said that if this was not allowed someone should have said so before the parade started so that she could find a better place to watch the parade. The CM says in a nasty tone, "We did tell you." (Not true. I was there when the ladies arrived 15 minutes before the parade started.) One lady told her that nobody mentioned this earlier and turned around to watch the parade. All she did was turn back around to watch the parade! The CM then starts saying she will get security if this lady doesn't move. Mind you, there was a group of 50 people 2 inches away from her, they just weren't standing behind "the wall". The CM then started getting in her face saying over and over again, "Move away from the wall, move away from the wall, move away from the wall." The lady moved over 2 inches to the group of 50. The lady told the CM to leave her alone. It was really bizarre how obsessed this CM was with this lady. Meanwhile, the only person blocking the walkways was the CM. CM finally leaves. 10 minutes later groups of people were standing up on the actual fence that was in front of "the wall" and hanging onto a lamppost! No sign of CM then.

Besides from this CM, I've pretty much experienced friendly ones. I do understand that everyone has bad days.

For every cm that isnt so magical there is a hundred more who r. So many times we found ourselves in conversations with them like we knew them. I love that. But when a rude one comes along it sure takes the wind right out of your sails. For the money u spend u expect nothin but the best.
Some of these stories are just awful! I had one handler yell at dd as she walkd up to have her pic taken with marie. Told my daughter to hurry up in a mean voice. I quickly snapped the pic n got away so the next child that was in line could get yelled at lol

I have also noticed a decline in CM 'magicalness' over the past 10 years of more than 15 trips. On our last trip, many CMs seemed downright rude. One I noticed complaining to a fellow co-worker while pretending to sweep in MK (broom going back and forth on ground, but not looking or doing anything). Another was talking loudly with a group of another 2 CM about their supervisor near the bathroom - how much of a jerk he was, etc. I understand employees have the same stresses everywhere, but Disney needs to pay attention to their stellar 'brand'. It is beginning to tarnish a little with behaviors of their 'representatives' acting in such a manner. I'm not being over critical as a frequent visitor, but I am more accostumed to how CM's acted in the past vs how they are acting now!

On another note, during our trip over the summer I was waiting with my family in line for Hoop Dee Doo. A CM was nearby and saw me playing on my phone. She approached me and asked what I was playing and I told her. She then proceeded to tell me that she likes to sit on her couch all day and play Bejeweled until she gets ready to come to work. She seemed a little melancholy and told me her kids are grown (while looking at my two little ones) and was just told by her oldest that he wasnt coming home from college for their annual trip to WDW on Thanksgiving. She says her only pasttime outside of work was sitting on her couch playing games on her phone. Then she put her fake smile back on and walked away. I felt very very badly and it really hit me hard about how CMs are just like everyone else. I always understood that, but I felt bad. I still do not accept loud gossiping and arguing during ANY job though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter