Ever have to show your Social Security Card? S/O of organizing and storing important documents thread

Have you ever had to show someone your Social Security card?

• Yes

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don't recall

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
We needed to show it when we made our Trust.

Isn‘t it funny how we used to use that number like nothin - we never thought twice about it. That number was my college ID number and I was always writing it on something. Now I won’t even write it on doctor’s office forms. Funny how times change.

Since I've had medicare I've had to show it once or twice at a doctor's office and the hospital on the first visit.

The state where I currently live needs 'proof' of SS# when applying for your Real ID, but gives several choices besides the physical card. For example, one is a W2 statement with your name/SS#. Likely each state makes their own rules on what you can use.

Last edited:
I only needed to show it once, at the SS office, when I got married and my name changed. They asked for it in order to issue me a new one. And when I had to change my license to the real ID one, it said it was a required form of identification, but they never actually asked me to physically show it to them. I had it with me, just in case. It came back home and got locked in the safe again, lol.

Just a few times over the years—driver’s license, new job—most recently Real ID. We keep all the cards in a home safe with birth certificates, titles, passports etc.

My kids have all gotten driver’s licenses in the last 8 years and all needed their social security cards. Some needed them for jobs.

We are in Pennsylvania.

It was odd but when I joined a company they forgot to ask for I-9 documents for me. I had also joined a group that was purchased and the company (for months) forgot to check. So HR set it up one day but I forgot about it. I would have brought my passport (like others) but forgot about it, but I did have my driver license and SSN card. Of course carrying around an SSN card isn't recommended, but I kept it in my wallet back them.

I think it was an option for getting Real ID, although I used my passport card.

Just a few times over the years—driver’s license, new job—most recently Real ID. We keep all the cards in a home safe with birth certificates, titles, passports etc.

My kids have all gotten driver’s licenses in the last 8 years and all needed their social security cards. Some needed them for jobs.

We are in Pennsylvania.

Do they need to show the actual card or just provide the number?

For employment eligibility I'll usually use a passport or passport card. They need my SSN, but can't specifically ask to see the original card if any eligible documents are provided.

Do they need to show the actual card or just provide the number?

For employment eligibility I'll usually use a passport or passport card. They need my SSN, but can't specifically ask to see the original card if any eligible documents are provided.
For their licenses and Real ID they definitely needed the actual card. For work, I’m honestly not certain—the kids asked for their cards to take to their employers, but possibly because they don’t know their numbers. They have passports, but my oldest daughter didn’t have a passport when she first got her job.

For their licenses and Real ID they definitely needed the actual card. For work, I’m honestly not certain—the kids asked for their cards to take to their employers, but possibly because they don’t know their numbers. They have passports, but my oldest daughter didn’t have a passport when she first got her job.

For employment eligibility and employer can’t insist on any particular document as long as any combination meets the requirements. But photo ID and SSN card do.

I can’t find SSN card on my state’s Real ID checklist. The second page is for two things with the mailing address.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-licenses-identification-cards/real-id/real-id-checklist/

I mean... the I9 form instructions are pretty clear if you read the darn thing. I am THRILLED when somebody walks in with a passport. YES TYVM! 👍 :rotfl2:
I just got a new job and because I have a passport only needed to upload that. I can’t recall if I had to show it for my Real ID Driver’s License or marriage license or changing from my maiden name to married name with SS to get a new card but those are the only possibilities I can recall where I might have been asked for it.

The last time I had to show it was probably back in 1988 when I got the final job I had before retirement.

It's always been on the first time I visited and I always have mine in my wallet. Now, I don't always carry my wallet but if I'm going to a doctor or the hospital I do have it with me.

Only if the employer is willing to do that. DD had to show her physical card during the hiring process for a part-time grocery store position a little over a year ago. This was a large chain and they claimed corporate rule required the physical card. They wouldn't put her on payroll without it; gave us a website to request a copy if needed. Fortunately we found hers in the safe deposit box where it had been for 18+ years.

My own SSA card hasn't been needed for years, but I've been at my current job since forever.
Same happened to my son. He applied for a grocery store job in college. They offered him a job but when he went to fill out paperwork they needed his actual card. He was unable to get it right away and in the meantime they said corporate I stayed a hiring freeze. So he didn’t get the job. He has never needed it any other time, and he has had lots of jobs.

I know I needed mine for something. Either retirement paperwork or a passport maybe?

We are in Pennsylvania.

I was kind of curious that maybe I forgot something. However, I found out that PA is the only state that requires an SSN card for getting a Real ID compliant driver license or ID. Also - I think there are a few states that don't have Real ID per se. Washington issues enhanced DL/ID, although they're only available for US citizens and not people with other legal status like permanent residents (who will already have a green card that complies).

We encourage you not to carry your Social Security card with you every day. The best way to “Guard Your Card” is to keep it in a safe place and share it only when required, which is rare. In fact, in most cases, just knowing the Social Security number should be enough. In 49 states and the District of Columbia, a Social Security card isn’t required to request a Real ID. Only Pennsylvania requires it.​

The form though specifically states only 1 item from list A (Passport) otherwise 1 from B (DL) and C (SSN Card)

If they are using an outside agency it should also be able to comply with the US Govt form one would think.
I know what it calls for and I understand what 1 means, but some are into overkill. I run payroll for a multitude of companies, and I send them the forms for I-9 verification. I won't do it for them, but I will store al of their documentation on our server in their files. In general, I get everything from their license, their SS card, passports, you name it.

Most folks do not mind.

I know what it calls for and I understand what 1 means, but some are into overkill. I run payroll for a multitude of companies, and I send them the forms for I-9 verification. I won't do it for them, but I will store al of their documentation on our server in their files. In general, I get everything from their license, their SS card, passports, you name it.

Most folks do not mind.
Regardless if folks don't mind it is as simple as this.

The legal form made by the US Government states there is a choice of providing 1 document from section A or 1 document from B and 1 from C.

It states the the employer can not force such choice of what document the company will accept.
It also states the employer is to examine the document(s) and not anything about storing them.

The employer is supposed to "review the items" you are not required to make copies of the employee's documents for storage and I personally would not allow that.

Only the form is legally required to be retained which of course has the ssn but in my opinion you should not be storing copies of any of the documents used to verify the employee's status and again I would not consent to that.

"Employers must examine the employee’s documents and record the document information in Section 2."

"Employers must retain all completed pages of Form I-9 for a designated period and make them available for inspection by authorized government officers."

"ANTI-DISCRIMINATION NOTICE: All employees can choose which acceptable documentation to present for Form I-9. Employers cannot ask employees for documentation to verify information in Section 1, or specify which acceptable documentation employees must present for Section 2 or
Supplement B, Reverification and Rehire."

Regardless if folks don't mind it is as simple as this.

The legal form made by the US Government states there is a choice of providing 1 document from section A or 1 document from B and 1 from C.

It states the the employer can not force such choice of what document the company will accept.
It also states the employer is to examine the document(s) and not anything about storing them.

The employer is supposed to "review the items" you are not required to make copies of the employee's documents for storage and I personally would not allow that.

Only the form is legally required to be retained which of course has the ssn but in my opinion you should not be storing copies of any of the documents used to verify the employee's status and again I would not consent to that.

"Employers must examine the employee’s documents and record the document information in Section 2."

"Employers must retain all completed pages of Form I-9 for a designated period and make them available for inspection by authorized government officers."

"ANTI-DISCRIMINATION NOTICE: All employees can choose which acceptable documentation to present for Form I-9. Employers cannot ask employees for documentation to verify information in Section 1, or specify which acceptable documentation employees must present for Section 2 or
Supplement B, Reverification and Rehire."
I am not arguing with you. I agree. I am simply saying that when I get the docs sent to me many times I get them all.

I also cannot pick and choose what gets sent to me.

I will store al of their documentation on our server in their files. In general, I get everything from their license, their SS card, passports, you name it.

Most folks do not mind.

I hope you are following best practices for storing such important and confidential data.

Too many small, medium, and large companies don't properly secure electronic data as evidenced by all the data breach notifications everyone receives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter