Ever receive a room upgrade?

A bunch of years ago we booked BC standard view. I expected to look at the parking lot LOL. When we arrived, I asked the CM at the desk for an "I'm celebrating" button - DD just graduated college - and she was so nice. Got our room key and went to find our.... Lakeview room with balcony! We were right by the main pool it was awesome.

Have any of you ever received a room upgrade at WDW? Where were you staying? What were the circumstances? Did you ask for it or was it a surprise?
Just during Covid...but we did get some AWESOME upgrades during that time.

Only upgrade ever was from Standard at All Star Sports to Preferred but the resort was practically empty so I assume some others received the same!

Have any of you ever received a room upgrade at WDW? Where were you staying? What were the circumstances? Did you ask for it or was it a surprise?
Yes in I think 1999 or maybe before, it was definitely pre-Internet/email so maybe 1994? It was one of our big anniversaries. We were staying at the Boardwalk, we faxed and asked very very nicely Since it was a special trip. When we got there they had put us in one of those garden bungalows with the white picket fence, and it was wonderful. when we walked to the unit there were bunnies eating in the little garden, I mean it was like right out of a Disney movie (cue Snow). Seems like the Boardwalk was somewhat new then, sorry my memory! I’d have to go back and look at a real photo album to figure out the exact year. It was around this time we started going twice per year. But again this was years ago and it sounds like things are really different now. We go next month and won’t ask, we’re basically paying for our upgrade this time since we haven’t been in 13 years. I would add that in all the times we went every year this was the only time we ever asked for an upgrade.

Last edited:
Yes, once. There was a major mistake in our reservation at Boardwalk (not our fault) and we were very nice about it. We waited patiently while they worked it out. They gave us the Presidential Suite for three glorious nights. We were there for our belated honeymoon/5th anniversary. It really was incredible. This was in 1999 when the Boardwalk almost always had entertainment at night. We still talk about it.

Twice at Beach Club. We were upgraded to a suite with club level. One time it was a one bedroom suite and the other time it was a two bedroom suite.

A few times:
Contemporary - Garden Wing to Tower Lake View (right after re-opening in 2020)
All Star Music to CBR
Pop - Standard view to pool view
POFQ - Standard View to Garden View
BWV - Standard to Garden View

Probably a few more view upgrades I'm blanking on right now - I've never asked for an upgrade, in the case of FQ it was me asking if there was a room ready when we arrived. All others were just pixie dust.

Funny you should post this. Back about 20 odd years ago, before true social media when there were only message boards like the DIS, passporter, rita aero's sites, intercot, etc., i wrote an essay entitled 'how to schmooze an upgrade at disney hotels'. Many people used my points successfully at wdw and at hotels all over the world in fact, or so they told me. For me, throughout the years, we have been upgraded a bunch of times. The best was a few years back being upgraded to the Steeplechase Suite at the BWI from a deluxe CL room right after it was upgraded to Bob Igers liking since it was his favorite resort. In these later years, we usually book the deluxe cl rooms so there really isn't a room to upgrade to but for the 2 bedroom suites and since we are usually just 2, it would make no sense(our daughter was with us for the Steeplechase upgrade).

One time many many years ago there was the Disney Institute (Now Saratoga Springs is there), we were booked at All Star Sports for 3 nights when we checked in they told us that our resort was changed and that we are being upgraded to a Tree House on the Disney Institute property at first I was like what?? when we got to the treehouse it was the sickest room or Villa we ever stayed in...it was just great and my kids loved it !!!

One time many many years ago there was the Disney Institute (Now Saratoga Springs is there), we were booked at All Star Sports for 3 nights when we checked in they told us that our resort was changed and that we are being upgraded to a Tree House on the Disney Institute property at first I was like what?? when we got to the treehouse it was the sickest room or Villa we ever stayed in...it was just great and my kids loved it !!!
Those tree houses rocked! We did a triple split stay one year and our first part was there, really fun

Only once and it was a very minor upgrade that we didn't even realize until the next year.

We booked a standard view room at POFQ - we had a lovely room in Bldg. 4 right off the rose garden - we commented on what a nice standard view room it was.

The following year when we booked, only Garden View was available, so we booked that. We were assigned the exact same room as the year before. We didn't know that we had been upgraded from standard to garden the year before, we just thought we had gotten a really great standard view room.

I've never asked for an upgrade, but have been pixie dusted a couple of times.

First time staying on property, at Coronado, we were upgraded from a Standard to a 2 room suite. Kind of wasted for only 2 people, but it was so nice to have two rooms and two bathrooms!

Best was the upgrade from regular room to Club Level at Grand Floridian. I think that was because it took forever for our room to be ready, it was well after 7. I'd wait again for CL!

We were also upgraded at Wilderness Lodge from a Standard to a Fireworks view, which was nice, I had asked the CM at the front desk if there was any way we could check in early and they gave us an upgrade so that we could.

From CSR to GF, apparently they needed the rooms for a large convention. They called me about a week before my trip, they actually said if I didn't want to stay at GF, I could choose somewhere else.

10 years back, weekend after Thanksgiving, staying at All Star Sports. They needed more rooms for some Pop Warner football kids, so I got upgraded...to Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House.

Several years ago my parents got upgraded to club level at the Boardwalk Inn. I'll never forget my dad saying they got sprinkled with angel dust. I had to correct him that it was pixie dust, haha!

Just last year my sister and I got upgraded at Boardwalk from a studio to a one bedroom. It was just one night before a cruise. Upgrades in my family seem to happen at Boardwalk!

On our last trip we were upgraded at Boardwalk Inn. It was a trip to celebrate our 35th anniversary and my husband's birthday. We had booked a standard view (or maybe garden view) room and requested a high floor. We didn't get to the resort until around 10;30pm. When we checked in the cast member told us she was sorry, but they didn't have any rooms on a high floor left, but she put us in a room with nice courtyard view. That was perfectly fine with us. She told us she was going to watch and see if a room like we had requested would open up in the morning, and she would call and let us know. A short while after we got to the room she called us and said the would like to offer us one of the Garden Cottages in the morning, if we would like to stay there:-) We didn't really know anything about the room, but were happy to try it. Turns out it was a giant upgrade, including being a club level accommodations! It was really nice, and such a big, unexpected treat. When we would see the cast member during the week she was always checking up on us and asking us if we were enjoying our stay. She was just the sweetest. It was a special stay that we will never forget!

Last Memorial Day I was booked in an Outer Building TPV room at the GF and was placed in the main building in a deluxe king room. Those rooms weren't bookable at the time since CL had not yet reopened. It was a very pleasant surprise for my 40th birthday trip.

On our last trip we were upgraded at Boardwalk Inn. It was a trip to celebrate our 35th anniversary and my husband's birthday. We had booked a standard view (or maybe garden view) room and requested a high floor. We didn't get to the resort until around 10;30pm. When we checked in the cast member told us she was sorry, but they didn't have any rooms on a high floor left, but she put us in a room with nice courtyard view. That was perfectly fine with us. She told us she was going to watch and see if a room like we had requested would open up in the morning, and she would call and let us know. A short while after we got to the room she called us and said the would like to offer us one of the Garden Cottages in the morning, if we would like to stay there:-) We didn't really know anything about the room, but were happy to try it. Turns out it was a giant upgrade, including being a club level accommodations! It was really nice, and such a big, unexpected treat. When we would see the cast member during the week she was always checking up on us and asking us if we were enjoying our stay. She was just the sweetest. It was a special stay that we will never forget!
We were upgraded to one of the cottages as well.

Once during Covid but what an upgrade it was! We were a party of 8 and booked a 2 bedroom villa at Rivera and was upgraded to a 3 bedroom Grand Villa!! It was AMAZING to say the least and we felt like celebrities. I tell my kids savor the memories cause it ain’t never happening again lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter