Everest and Space Mountain: I’m terrified!

I think Everest is great fun. I do not like big rollercoasters (same as my son) but we do enjoy this ride. The only issue for us is - it is going backwards quite quickly and for reasonably long time. This is uncomfortable but not uncomfortable enough to put us off.
Space Mountain is different. This is the only ride in Disney World I truly and genuinely dislike. It is jerky, uncomfortable and not fun at all... And painful. Literally. Have not been on it for three years or so and do not intend to ride it any time soon. A lot of people like it, so it is probably just me but I would not recommend this one to anybody who is scared of rollercoasters.

Have you tried taking a little liquid courage before riding? That might help.
I don't have any fear of coaster, but it helps to relax and enjoy the ride more instead of tensing up and feeling the back and neck pains.
I also strongly recommend a large dose of liquid courage before Country Bears, Tiki Room, Stitch, People Mover and Jungle Cruise...

You live around Orlando and deal with that traffic and I4 and you worry about Space Mountain and Everest? Pssshhh

J/K, neither are really that scary and they don't last that long anyways. Go for it!! You'll be fine.

Some times you do have to conquer your fears for others. My husband hates flying but does it and gets through it so we can visit the mouse. So maybe think about doing it for your son. Neither of those rides are bad. SM feels fast because you are in the dark, but only goes about 30mph. Everest really isn't that bad but RnR it much more intense than either so maybe stay away from that one. I think Everest is just a little more intense than BTM, but not by much. It is a smooth ride so you are not really getting jolted around.

If it helps you at all, my 4DD road Everest 3 times in one day and loved it. When asked about her favorite ride -- it's the Yeti!.
You’re absolutely right - it’s my son I want to do it for. And that’s why I’m even considering them. It’s not a fear of the ride being dangerous - I just don’t like the feeling of being out of control, losing my stomach, being in the dark etc. All the things I know will happen. I hope in October I’m coming back saying I conquered them! I love the Harry Potter 3D Escape From Gringotts but havdnt mustered up the courage to do the other one yet. I like speed rides like Test Track because I can see and there’s no big dips.

Hi all - so I’m not a coaster person - this is my third year going to Florida and I still can’t get myself to go on Everest or Space Mountain - despite having a fast pass & being in the queue. I think if I back out this October my 11 yr old son may disown me! I’ve watched them both online (can’t see much in SM mind) and really want to go on them for my son! How scary are they? It’s the backwards bit of Evetest that scares me and the darkness of SM. I love BTMRR if that helps. Never done R&R in Hollywood studios either. I cried on the Scorpion in Busch Gardens last October but intend to do it again this year without the tears and hysteria!

I have a phobia of rollercoasters and every time I get on one it is a battle. In 2016 I faced my fears and rode every coaster disney has to offer and I'm really happy I did. Space mountain is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I'm loving it, other times I feel so terrified. the darkness honestly helps me because knowing how high I am or how big drops are is what kills me. EE is so much fun. for me the worst part is going up because I have a fear of heights. going backward honestly feels fun for me and is also in the dark. once you hit the big drop it doesn't feel terrible. I would pick a car closer to the front, the back of the coaster is more wild and you feel it more.

I say face your fears! ive held myself back for years and I regret it so much. It is as scary as you allow it to be. Honestly the drive down to florida is more terrifying than those two!

I, too, dislike coasters that have big long drops. I can do RnRC because it's dark and the speed of it presses me back in the seat so much that I don't really feel the helixes. Plus it's very smooth. SM has very small drops, as noted, but it is dark and you can't see them coming, and it is a very jerky ride. Anyone with back or neck problems probably shouldn't do it . But I don't have a problem with it because the drops are so small. EE is another story. I've done it but I'm not crazy about it. The backwards part bothered me less when I kept my eyes closed. I didn't find the other drops to be extreme enough to affect me much, plus it's pretty smooth.

It depends on what is "scary" to you.. Everest is fun to me because of the "story" of the ride. But I chicken out of SM EVERY TIME! lol its too dark and I hate that you can't see where you're going. My vote is try Everest :)

Haha I like your style!! Newsflash: Drunken British woman refuses to get off Space Mountain and has been going around on it for 5 days solid’

I really hate rollercoasters - afraid of heights, don't like drops, not a fan of going fast in anything. I'm not afraid I am going to die or anything - I just find them incredibly unpleasant in every way. Having said that, SM didn't really scare me as much as it was painful to ride. It is so jerky and you get tossed around so much that I swore never again. Even my coaster-loving husband would rather protect his back and skip SM.

For those of you who say to keep trying, I do. I have just never found one that is anything but awful-feeling. I will be trying Slinky Dog on the upcoming trip and hope that one is enjoyable.....

It depends on what is "scary" to you.. Everest is fun to me because of the "story" of the ride. But I chicken out of SM EVERY TIME! lol its too dark and I hate that you can't see where you're going. My vote is try Everest :)
That’s exactly what I think I’ll do. I’ve watched SM videos with the lights on and I could definitely do it like that - but not it the dark! I’m going to man up for Everest though :)

I really hate rollercoasters - afraid of heights, don't like drops, not a fan of going fast in anything. I'm not afraid I am going to die or anything - I just find them incredibly unpleasant in every way. Having said that, SM didn't really scare me as much as it was painful to ride. It is so jerky and you get tossed around so much that I swore never again. Even my coaster-loving husband would rather protect his back and skip SM.

For those of you who say to keep trying, I do. I have just never found one that is anything but awful-feeling. I will be trying Slinky Dog on the upcoming trip and hope that one is enjoyable.....
Slinky Dog looks awesome! That’s more my limit! I’ll be in the queue for that one :)

I have a phobia of rollercoasters and every time I get on one it is a battle. In 2016 I faced my fears and rode every coaster disney has to offer and I'm really happy I did. Space mountain is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I'm loving it, other times I feel so terrified. the darkness honestly helps me because knowing how high I am or how big drops are is what kills me. EE is so much fun. for me the worst part is going up because I have a fear of heights. going backward honestly feels fun for me and is also in the dark. once you hit the big drop it doesn't feel terrible. I would pick a car closer to the front, the back of the coaster is more wild and you feel it more.

I say face your fears! ive held myself back for years and I regret it so much. It is as scary as you allow it to be. Honestly the drive down to florida is more terrifying than those two!
Wow you’re brave for getting yourself on them if you’re genuinely scared! I’m going to think of you facing your fears when I get on Everest! And pray to God I get off with a smile on my face ready to join the queue again! :)

They are very tame coasters compared to other coasters at other parks.

I say this to mean that if you've gotten on coasters at other parks, you likely will find these less scary.

Wow you’re brave for getting yourself on them if you’re genuinely scared! I’m going to think of you facing your fears when I get on Everest! And pray to God I get off with a smile on my face ready to join the queue again! :)

it was a long struggle LOL. Ive had complete meltdowns before and after attempts, the worst was riding thunder mountain at night, I got off shaking and crying sitting on the ground outside the exit. My boyfriend was so supportive and encouraging and even when I struggled he was never mad or disappointed I couldn't do it. So when I finally was able to get on them all without a meltdown I was so proud of myself. I realized let the fear get to me and I still struggle with it at times but I try to keep calm and remember to have fun. Honestly Everest I thought would have been a problem but I remember getting off and instantly wanting to go back on!

You can do it! and I know you will have fun and it will be ok!

Have you tried taking a little liquid courage before riding?

While I fully endorse the notion of liquid courage, I don't know that dosing yourself just before a coaster is the best idea.;) I'll mention that the theming of EE is very cool, worth trying it for that.

For Space Mountain, ask to sit in the front row. While it is dark, you should be able to see the turns when they come up.

For Everest, ask to sit in the back row as the back becomes the front during the dark portions. Being in the front of the train gives you a more steady and comfortable ride. Also when you see the yeti, be ready to brace yourself. The end of the ride ends rather abruptly and the brakes seem to push the lap bar into your stomach, which has caused several people in my group to not like the ride.

My mom hates coasters, but she rides both of these coasters at least once every trip! So at least give them a chance because you never know!

I love roller coasters!

Space Mountain is a bit abrupt in its maneuvers (ride defensively).

The positive g-force on the backwards portion of Expedition Everest is strong. You have plenty of time to prepare for it while waiting for the track to flip over. Otherwise the ride is smooth with a nice drop out of the mountain.

RnR is all about the launch (which I love in addition to the final corkscrew element). IMO, the launch preps you for the relatively weaker forces on the ride.

They're all on my must-do list when visiting DW. You're probably paying a lot of money for admission to MK and AK. The way I see it, your fear is costing you from taking full advantage of the price of admission.

They are very tame coasters compared to other coasters at other parks.

I say this to mean that if you've gotten on coasters at other parks, you likely will find these less scary.

Agreed. My sister and I call them "baby rides" and not even coasters, because compared to the rides at Sea World and Universal Studios down the road these are DEFINITELY tame. I may not be a good person to give advice on how to deal with coaster fear because my favorite Orlando one is Mako, which has a 200 foot drop and goes super fast. Also, I think the monorails are more dangerous than the rides at Disney.

They're all on my must-do list when visiting DW. You're probably paying a lot of money for admission to MK and AK. The way I see it, your fear is costing you from taking full advantage of the price of admission.

While I tend to agree for the most part, the great thing about Disney is that Rides are only a part of what is fun. There is a lot to do in the parks without having to ride things that make you uncomfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter