Everything but Disney Day 15 -Flying Home

dixonsontour

DIS Veteran
Everything but Disney Day 15 Friday 28th October 2011 Flying Home

Our day to fly home had arrived.

We were up at 8.30am (good given our late bedtime)

Had a non healthy breakfast of the bits of food we had left – I had Ben & Jerry boston cream pie icecream (which I highly recommend)and DD had Pringles.

28102011311.jpg

Check out was 11am.

We finished packing which was stressful as our travel scales weren’t working (take a spare battery next time!) and went to check out.

Asst manager checked us out – he asked how our stay was. I was honest – it is a nice resort that I wasn’t wowed. I mentioned the pool being far too cold and a few other things but said we appreciated the space. He said they had great reviews – I said I thought that was the problem – maybe my expectations were high but I preferred OKW.

I didn’t want anything but he immediately offered to remove the resort fee –which totalled $190.

He gave us his card and said the resort is being renovated from January inc new carpets and he would do us a great rate if we returned. So far we’ve had a email with 20% off.

It was a nice resort and a great location but for number 1 resort in Orlando on trip advisor I thought it would have more wow factor. But I would consider staying there again for the right price.

We then went to offairportcheckin at LBV outlets.

Basically the same service as Virgin DTD check in but for US airways, Delta etc. We had booked and paid online - $10 each and I’d rung and confirmed the flights the day before so they could print off our boarding cards.

DH was able to park right outside and when we went in the manager – a helpful man called Kerry – said ah you must be the Dixons! Everything was ready for us. Real contrast to DTD checkin – we stood in a line for about an hour there last year.

DH had done a good job guesstimating the bags – limit was 50lb. One was 49, one 50 and one 56. I could have changed some stuff to carry on (US airways allows 18kg carry on aswell) but Kerry just said that is a perk of checking in here. We also checked the buggy and car seat.

Would use offairportcheckin again no hesitation.

They are based where the old TCD checkin was. They are the same company that check domestic flights in at Disney. Have been at LBV about a year they said.

We went to Logans Roadhouse at the loop for lunch. Had a coupon for a free meal for Halloween. Cost $31 inc tip. I had ribs and a baked potato which I enjoyed. They give you peanuts to eat and throw the shells on the floor. I’d not told DH this and I could see his face (what’s this dirty place we’ve come to!) but it was a nice place.

DSCF0947.JPG

DSCF0948.JPG

DSCF0949.JPG
DSCF0952.JPG

DSCF0953.JPG

DSCF0954.JPG

DSCF0956.JPG

DSCF0957.JPG

Had a quick look in Journeys at the loop for some uggs – the short bailey buttons were $160 plus tax. Didn’t see a colour I liked though.

Had another stop at Osceola walmart nearby. DH and DD got some snacks for the plane and I had another pedicure for $20 plus tip at Queens nails.

DSCF0960.JPG

It was a short easy drive from here to the airport. We actually drove pretty close to boggy creek airboats – would think about doing it as a last day activity in future.

Dropped the hire car off which is easy with no suitcases and went to check which gate we were. Just as I was thinking how smoothly everything was going we were delayed from 5 til 6.15pm which meant we would miss our connection in Philadelphia.

We let DD sit on the back row on the way to the airport (was a 7 seater car) - she liked it!

28102011314.jpg

We went to the US airways desk and they said there were 97 of us connecting and they would hold the flight.

Went through security – under 12’s could now keep their shoes on which makes life easier.

DSCF0964.JPG

We left from terminal B which had a small food court. DH and DD had a Wendy’s – DH said it was a great burger. I had a qdoba burrito – ok.

DSCF0967.JPG

DSCF0970.JPG

It was a cooler day and raining when we left Orlando.

DSCF0972.JPG
IMG_20111028_174350.jpg

We were delayed because the incoming plane was late. I was really impressed with the US airways staff. They announced it was landing and as soon as everyone was off they loaded us in record time and told everyone to sit asap – they were taking off. We left MCO and when we landed in Philadelphia they had staff asking if you were Manchester flight and pointed you to the next stand. They had extra staff to check your docs and we were straight onto the next plane and took off.

From MCO take off to landing in Manchester it took 9 hours – great for an indirect flight. We landed 40 mins early at 8am in Manchester and it wasn’t raining!

Flight was fine, on demand entertainment. DD got her booked kids meal. I slept for about an hour, DD and DH didn’t at all.

DD actually fell asleep after we had landed whilst we were waiting to park up at the gate.

Had a really stressful time getting DD off and through immigration. Her balance is awful when she is tired. She almost fell down the stairs. Will think about booking special assistance or gatechecking her stroller next time.

Our cases were first off. I had a £1 coin for a trolley. No one in customs.

We called meteor and they met us straightaway at departures with our car. Basically you go up in the lift and out the door – very easy.

We were home for 9.30am. DD slept in the car and we put her to bed when we got home. We had a nap and got up for our Asda delivery at 2pm.

There was no waking DD – she was zonked out. She got up at 6.30pm had her tea and went to bed when we did. She slept all night.

Our heating was working (last 2 times boiler has broken whilst we are away) so all was good.

We got up 9.30am Sunday and DD has quickly got back into her usual pattern.

THE END!

Thanks for reading. Next trip is 16 nights at OKW in October 2012.

Not tried Logans yet, but it looks similar to Texas Roadhouse that we used to visit at Hunters Creek.
Glad all the the flight connections turned out smoothly.
9 hours indirect is amazing!.
Finally, a big thank you for sharing your holiday with us all :thanks:
Looking forward to next years! :goodvibes

Not tried Logans yet, but it looks similar to Texas Roadhouse that we used to visit at Hunters Creek.
Glad all the the flight connections turned out smoothly.
9 hours indirect is amazing!.
Finally, a big thank you for sharing your holiday with us all :thanks:
Looking forward to next years! :goodvibes

Thanks for reading and commenting each day.

First time I have done a trip report -takes alot of time - but glad I have as will be nice to look back on.

Next years will be very different, plan at the moment is just the disney ultimate tickets.

I have really enjoyed your trip report! I like seeing Orlando without Disney and how you can do it without getting sucked into the Disney parks!! :hippie: Looking forward to the next one now!

Really liked your trip report. It's been cool seeing things from a different perspective of not actually doing Disney. :)

I have loved reading your reports. Your photos have been wonderful, especially of your daughter......makes me realise that i actually miss mine being little!! All that magic seems to disappear when they are older.

I have loved reading your reports. Your photos have been wonderful, especially of your daughter......makes me realise that i actually miss mine being little!! All that magic seems to disappear when they are older.

Thanks for reading and posting :)

Anna has just done her first proper ballet exam today and went in so confidently and looked so grown up. Time flies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter