Everything Galveston

mpetersen

Mouseketeer
Doing the one way Magic cruise from Galveston to San Juan and struggling with transportation in Galveston.
Is there a rental car option from Houston to Galveston that will get us from the rental to the port?
If not any easy suggestions?
Trying to avoid staying in Houston and shuttling from airport but will if that’s easiest.
We are flying in a day early and plan to explore Houston/go to NASA.

Which airport are you flying into? IAH or Hobby? Best bet may be to rent a car at the airport, return it in Galveston and Uber from rental return to port.

Flying into IAH. I’ve heard mixed things on other boards about car rental options with none actually in Galveston but are close by.

IAH to Galveston is 1.5 to 2 hr drive depending on traffic. Since you are coming in a day early you dont have many options other than rental. There is an enterprise in Galveston and you would only need to drop off. Then a 15 or so minute Uber to the terminal.

Enterprise

We live north of Houston and cruise out of Galveston a couple of times a year. I can give you some local insight if you like.

Last edited:

At leasy historically, Enterprise has shuttled prople yo the cruise terminal.

It is a long, traffic-filled drive from
IAH to Galveston. It's less than 30 minutes from HOU. HOU is a Southwest city. IAH. not so much. If coming in to IAH, I'd consider stopping in Houston proper- The Menil Collection, Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Aboretum, and Rice University are all in the same part of town. As is Goode Company BBQ.

I have taken a Lyft/Uber from IAH or Houston to Galveston twice. I can't remember the cost from IAH, but we did an UberXL and I imagine it was close to $100. When we did a Uber from a hotel in Houston to Galveston a couple of weeks ago, I think it was around $60.

We did an Uber/Lyft to the Hilton Galveston Island in 2017, then used the hotel shuttle to get to the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter