Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I use a DAS so I don't need to do Genie+. However, there are some rides that I can't ride that others in my party would like to ride, such as Tower of Terror or Rockin' Rollercoaster at Hollywood Studios.
Can only a few members of our party get Genie+ or would everyone in the party have to get it? Also, can they then buy it for the days that we are going to ride on rides I can't/won't ride, such as when we go to Hollywood Studios? Or do we have to buy it for all days of our trip?

Finally, and I think I know the answer to this, for upgrading to parkhoppers, that would have to be for all the days of our ticket, correct? We can't just upgrade for one day.

I use a DAS so I don't need to do Genie+. However, there are some rides that I can't ride that others in my party would like to ride, such as Tower of Terror or Rockin' Rollercoaster at Hollywood Studios.
Can only a few members of our party get Genie+ or would everyone in the party have to get it? Also, can they then buy it for the days that we are going to ride on rides I can't/won't ride, such as when we go to Hollywood Studios? Or do we have to buy it for all days of our trip?

Finally, and I think I know the answer to this, for upgrading to parkhoppers, that would have to be for all the days of our ticket, correct? We can't just upgrade for one day.
Park hoppers are for entire trip.well technically you could buy in the middle of the trip, but the cost is the same for either part or full, so might as well get it up front if you think you'll want it. Also, if park pass reservations sell out for any day of your trip, you can no longer purchase hoppers, so get them sooner rather than later

Genie+ can be purchased each day you want to use it after midnight that day. You can also select which users in the group want to use G+, so you're only purchasing for when and for who it's needed.

My experience at DHS yesterday (Friday)

My first time actually using MDE with Genie. I agree with others the 7am is stressful. Not a good feeling to have your adrenaline shoot up at 7am especially when you are trying to get out for rope drop which is also stressful.

MDE is so frustrating as it absolutely refuses to stay on your park choice. While trying to get ILL at 7am sure enough it switched me to MK. I was all set before 7am and using all the tips from here and Tom Bricker for speed selection. Nope. Right before 7am I refreshed and it spun. When it came back I was in MK!!

By the time I navigated back to DHS park choice all ROTR was gone. I then focused on G+ LL and got MFSR and waited until 7:17 for the next LL drop. I got MFSR LL at 7:01am for like 5pm but when it finally landed in MDE it switched it back in time to 12:15-1:15. Which was better for me anyways.

At 7:17 we were at the Dolphin boat stop for DHS and I was easily able to get ROTR for 10-11am.

Rise was down all morning and it turned into come back anytime and we finally road Rise at about 1:30pm after riding MFSR at 1:15.

We rope dropped RNR as I was hoping to get LL#2 for TOT and I wanted to move as fast as possible to MMRR and TSM during ETPE. Unfortunately there was no way to get TOT at 10:30 (I tried). Then TOT was down all afternoon. We decided to ride SB at 8:15pm. But after 15 min the line barely moved as they were giving LL preference at 10 to 1 ratio to SB (I asked the CM what was happening). And they were taking all the LL from the afternoon.

We finally left TOT SB and for the first time in my life I did not get to ride TOT. That was a huge disappointment. In hindsight we should have done TOT at RD.

We got LL#2 for RNR and #3 for TSM.

Throughout the day MDE insisted on switching back to MK like 10-20 times. Super frustrating.

The app and process are just highly flawed as reported by many others here. Very frustrating. Overall we had fun but missing TOT was a bummer.
Thanks for a great summary! Sorry about the ToT disappointment but the info you provided may help others in future. Question: what was the posted wait time when you entered the ToT line? Reason for asking is I’m wondering to what extent Disney takes the accumulated LL delays into account in calculating standby wait times…

Is it possible to add an additional guest to a ILL reservation after it is made?

Is it possible to add an additional guest to a ILL reservation after it is made?
Unfortunately no. You would have to book a separate ILL$ for them and hope for the same time or at least a time that has some overlap with the original time frame.

Not sure if anyone has had success, but you could always talk to guest relations or find one of the blue umbrellas. But that can mean a long wait for you and your family.

Unfortunately no. You would have to book a separate ILL$ for them and hope for the same time or at least a time that has some overlap with the original time frame.

Not sure if anyone has had success, but you could always talk to guest relations or find one of the blue umbrellas. But that can mean a long wait for you and your family.
That was my assumption. Thanks fir the reply

I would appreciate any help with my plans. DBF told me last night that he’d like to ride RNR, ToT and Smugglers Run. We originally weren’t planning on going to HS at all and now it is sold out for this Tuesday. My plan is to start the day at Epcot between 11 and noon ( not my choice), then hop to HS around 5. We’ve bought Genie + already. Can I purchase ILL at 7 am for smugglers run and use Genie+ for say TT? When can I start using Genie + for HS? Do I have to wait until after 2 or when I actually get there? I’m afraid RNR and ToT will be out of LL by then 😞

I would appreciate any help with my plans. DBF told me last night that he’d like to ride RNR, ToT and Smugglers Run. We originally weren’t planning on going to HS at all and now it is sold out for this Tuesday. My plan is to start the day at Epcot between 11 and noon ( not my choice), then hop to HS around 5. We’ve bought Genie + already. Can I purchase ILL at 7 am for smugglers run and use Genie+ for say TT? When can I start using Genie + for HS? Do I have to wait until after 2 or when I actually get there? I’m afraid RNR and ToT will be out of LL by then 😞
See posts 3-4-5 in this thread, $ILL and G+ are 2 different things. All rides you listed are part of G+ not $ILL.

Problem with your strategy is an early TT return time is hard to get, and it's quite possible it will be in the evening and conflict with your HS objectives.

It might be better to go HS first (EDIT: nm, HS is sold out.) since you have 3 rides to do there and hop to Epcot later. You can focus your G+ efforts on HS and have more options to choose from. Bear in mind TT and MFSR often have single rider options. You also get to finish at Epcot and see the fireworks show if that interests you.

@glocon thx for the catch.

Last edited:
See posts 3-4-5 in this thread, $ILL and G+ are 2 different things. All rides you listed are part of G+ not $ILL.

Problem with your strategy is an early TT return time is hard to get, and it's quite possible it will be in the evening and conflict with your HS objectives.

It might be better to go HS first since you have 3 rides to do there and hop to Epcot later. You can focus your G+ efforts on HS and have more options to choose from. Bear in mind TT and MFSR often have single rider options. You also get to finish at Epcot and see the fireworks show if that interests you.
I think the problem is HS is sold out she said. They have to start at EP.
Your best plan of attack is probably rope drop EP and save/stack all your LL for HS. Maybe take a break between parks and get in line for a ride at HS right before closing if you weren’t able to get LL for everything you wanted. The times are inflated at closing and you should have a shorter wait than posted then.
Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for a great summary! Sorry about the ToT disappointment but the info you provided may help others in future. Question: what was the posted wait time when you entered the ToT line? Reason for asking is I’m wondering to what extent Disney takes the accumulated LL delays into account in calculating standby wait times…
It was posted as 110 minutes at 8-8:15pm. TP said It was expected to be 65. Based on TP we decided to just finish the night on TOT. But we were not interested in an actual 110 minute wait. We were bone tired from rope drop. Hope that helps.

HS opens at 8:30 on Tuesday, so you will be eligible for your second LL at 10:30 and your third LL at 12:30.

Thrill-data.com shows that for today:
Tower of Terror LLs ran out at about 10:30 am
Millenium Falcom LLs ran out at about 11:00 am
Rock N Roller Coaster LLs ran out at about 12:30 pm

So, you'll want to get either Tot or MF at 7:00 am (or a bit later in order to get a return time after 5:00 pm), and then at 10:30 and 12:30 try to book an LL as quickly as possible (maybe set an alarm for yourself at 10:29 and then again at 12:29).

Also check the first posts on this thread for how to pin an attraction to the top of the tip board (so you have the two that you didn't get at 7am pinned and ready to click at 10:30).

We don't have a park reservation on arrival day as we won't be arriving until after 3pm. Hoping to head to MK in the late afternoon/evening. Will I be able to book Genie+ rides for MK even though I don't have a park reservation that day? I know I don't need a park res to visit MK in the later afternoon, but I'm not sure if I will be able to book G+ rides starting at 7am if I don't have a park reservation scheduled anywhere that day. Thanks!

I'm sure this question has been asked A LOT, but for the life of me I haven't been able to find any mentions of it (probably just too early on a Monday for my brain to be fully functioning).

I'm fairly familiar with Genie+/Lightning Lanes, having just been to Disneyland a few months back (I realize there may be slight differences between Anaheim and Orlando, but I think they're 95% the same in principal). What I'm trying to find out is the whole concept of making ride reservations months ahead of time (we last went to WDW in 2016) - has that been completely replaced by G+/ILL, or do they somewhat co-exist these days?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure this question has been asked A LOT, but for the life of me I haven't been able to find any mentions of it (probably just too early on a Monday for my brain to be fully functioning).

I'm fairly familiar with Genie+/Lightning Lanes, having just been to Disneyland a few months back (I realize there may be slight differences between Anaheim and Orlando, but I think they're 95% the same in principal). What I'm trying to find out is the whole concept of making ride reservations months ahead of time (we last went to WDW in 2016) - has that been completely replaced by G+/ILL, or do they somewhat co-exist these days?

Thanks in advance!
No more advanced bookings. You can't book anything until 7am on each park day.

No more advanced bookings. You can't book anything until 7am on each park day.

Thanks CJK! Assumed that was the case, but didn't want to realize a few weeks from now that I missed a deadline...

Reactions: CJK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter