• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

The timer starts when you make the LL choice. So if you book one right when you tap in you can book a new one at 9:30 than again at 11:30.
So the timer resets from "park opening" to "selection of 2nd reservation" as soon as that 2nd reservation is made. Understood - thank you so much! Obviously it sounds beneficial to make reservations as early as possible to churn through them, but wanted to play out a different scenario in the event our second one was only available later in the day. Thanks again.

I think the BIGGEST thing for me to swallow about the changes and Genie+ is this: GONE are the days of planning out detailed itineraries. I LOVED that part. To me, planning my days was half the excitement. All the research and stuff. We can still plan BUT with Genie+ we have to ride what we can WHEN we can. It's not as cut & dry simple as before. Once I accepted that I think I'm not near as disappointed as I was when I first heard Fast Pass was a thing of my past. Grateful I have 18 months before our trip to work everything out. It's truly, " A whole new world" for me.:cool1:

I think the BIGGEST thing for me to swallow about the changes and Genie+ is this: GONE are the days of planning out detailed itineraries. I LOVED that part. To me, planning my days was half the excitement. All the research and stuff. We can still plan BUT with Genie+ we have to ride what we can WHEN we can. It's not as cut & dry simple as before. Once I accepted that I think I'm not near as disappointed as I was when I first heard Fast Pass was a thing of my past. Grateful I have 18 months before our trip to work everything out. It's truly, " A whole new world" for me.:cool1:
Yes. This. After my first park day today (MK) and I couldn’t believe how much I had to be in my phone and the amount of winging it we had to do. Do not like.

Besides having to pay for G+ (where FP+ was free), the biggest downside for us is having to start each day at 7 a.m. with a plan A and a plan B, and sometimes a plan C. Because what you wish you would get--well, it is called Genie--and what you will get might be vastly different. If you don't have must-do attractions and are just willing to go here or there, depending on what's available, and don't mind going from one end of any park to the other and back again, then G+ can work pretty well. Also, it works well if you're in a park from open until close. And additionally it can work extremely well if you have only one or two attractions that you'll use G+ for.

The second biggest downside, to me, is that once you book your G+ selection, you can't edit it. If you want to change things, you have to cancel the selection you've made and hope that the one you saw that was an improvement will still be there when you can get back to it. FP+ could be modified if there were other times available.

Besides having to pay for G+ (where FP+ was free), the biggest downside for us is having to start each day at 7 a.m. with a plan A and a plan B, and sometimes a plan C. Because what you wish you would get--well, it is called Genie--and what you will get might be vastly different. If you don't have must-do attractions and are just willing to go here or there, depending on what's available, and don't mind going from one end of any park to the other and back again, then G+ can work pretty well. Also, it works well if you're in a park from open until close. And additionally it can work extremely well if you have only one or two attractions that you'll use G+ for.

The second biggest downside, to me, is that once you book your G+ selection, you can't edit it. If you want to change things, you have to cancel the selection you've made and hope that the one you saw that was an improvement will still be there when you can get back to it. FP+ could be modified if there were other times available.
These are all really good points and I feel the same. We had great success using Geenie+and ILL especially in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood studios. But I was on my phone constantly which I hate on vacation. And we were constantly walking across parks over and over - there was no way to avoid it. We tackled one park in the morning and then we would hop to another one in the evening after having pool time and I felt like this was the best plan for us and also maximized getting on rides. It takes getting used to and it certainly isn’t anywhere near as user-friendly as the old fast pass system was. I feel bad for families with young kids having to do a lot of walking which you have to do now and also the cost seems so unfair for large families. I didn’t hesitate to buy Genie + and ILL because it was just my son and I, but it is expensive .We had a great trip but it ain’t what it used to be❣️

Family is flying into Orlando tomorrow, and we should be at Magic Kingdom around 2 pm. I plan on making Genie+ reservations in the morning starting at 6 am CST/7 am EST. I've never used Genie+ before and still not sure I quite understand how it works. We want to have a ride reserved around 3 pm tomorrow, and hopefully a couple stacked after that. When I make the first reservation in the morning can I pick a time for the ride? I basically want to have Haunted Mansion reserved around 230-3 pm and Splash Mountain after that. Trying to figure out how this works. And I assume Genie+ will show up in MDE tomorrow and I don't need to download a separate app? TIA!

Family is flying into Orlando tomorrow, and we should be at Magic Kingdom around 2 pm. I plan on making Genie+ reservations in the morning starting at 6 am CST/7 am EST. I've never used Genie+ before and still not sure I quite understand how it works. We want to have a ride reserved around 3 pm tomorrow, and hopefully a couple stacked after that. When I make the first reservation in the morning can I pick a time for the ride? I basically want to have Haunted Mansion reserved around 230-3 pm and Splash Mountain after that. Trying to figure out how this works. And I assume Genie+ will show up in MDE tomorrow and I don't need to download a separate app? TIA!
G+ will not allow you to pick a time. It will be the next available slot at the time that you try to book the LL. You can refresh over and over until a suitable time comes up.

G+ will not allow you to pick a time. It will be the next available slot at the time that you try to book the LL. You can refresh over and over until a suitable time comes up.
Thanks. And what is the return time? Is it a two hour window?

Ya...the not being able to edit is a HUGE deal to me:guilty:

Return times are 1-hour windows with a "late arrival" grace period that is at the discretion of the CM (usually no more than 15 minutes).
Actually, the 15 minutes is embedded in the system (as is a 5min early arrival), so your technical window is 80mins (5 before, 60 timeslot, 15 after). CM discretion comes into play when you are more than 5min early or 15min late.

Genie+ is in MDE. There is no separate app.

MK opens at 9:00 tomorrow, so you want to make your first LL prior to park opening. Today, at 9:00, the only 2 rides with an LL time after 2:00 pm are Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan.

Then at 11:00 when you are eligible for your second LL, Splash may not quite yet have an LL time after 2:00 pm, but by 11:10 today, Splash had a 3:00 LL time. (At 11:10, HM had 1:00 LL time which is too early for you.)

At 1:10 (2 hours after booking Splash), HM today had an LL time of 3:45.

If you want to do Splash AFTER Haunted Mansion, this will allow you to do HM at 3:40 (can be 5 minutes early), and Splash no later than 4:15 (15-minute grace after after the 3:00-4:00 LL window).

Of course tomorrow's times won't be exactly the same as today, but I think this is your best general game plan for tomorrow.

Actually, the 15 minutes is embedded in the system (as is a 5min early arrival), so your technical window is 80mins (5 before, 60 timeslot, 15 after). CM discretion comes into play when you are more than 5min early or 15min late.
Is the 5 minutes early thing for ILL too? In January we were one minute early swiping our magic band for SDMT and the CM made us go all the way to the back of the line to start again 🤦‍♀️

Is the 5 minutes early thing for ILL too? In January we were one minute early swiping our magic band for SDMT and the CM made us go all the way to the back of the line to start again 🤦‍♀️
Should be. We were 5min early for FOP and the “Mickey” automatically went green (We actually were earlier than that but I waited until their clock (not mine) showed 5min before…there was a crowd and CM was announcing they wouldn’t override). It goes blue if you are outside the window and then the CM has to override it.
Not sure what happened with SDMT…did they not let you tap? If they did, maybe your clocks weren’t aligned 🤷‍♀️ That sucks ☹️

I'm trying to get this straight in my head - so can someone please clarify (I have been reading posts and watching videos) the below scenarios:
1. If I make a Jungle Cruise Genie+ reservation at 7 AM for 10 am and the park opens at 9 AM - then I can make my next reservation when I tap into Jungle Cruise?
2. If I make a Splash Mountain Genie+ for Splash Mountain at 7 AM for return 1PM then I make another Genie+ at 11 AM (2 hours after park opening at 9 am)?
3. If I make a Tomorrowland Speedway at 7 am for 9 AM ride time; then once I tap into TS - I can make another reservation?

Thank you.

I'm trying to get this straight in my head - so can someone please clarify (I have been reading posts and watching videos) the below scenarios:
1. If I make a Jungle Cruise Genie+ reservation at 7 AM for 10 am and the park opens at 9 AM - then I can make my next reservation when I tap into Jungle Cruise?
2. If I make a Splash Mountain Genie+ for Splash Mountain at 7 AM for return 1PM then I make another Genie+ at 11 AM (2 hours after park opening at 9 am)?
3. If I make a Tomorrowland Speedway at 7 am for 9 AM ride time; then once I tap into TS - I can make another reservation?

Thank you.
1. Yes, you could make another reservation after tapping into JC.
2. You could make your next booking at 11am (2hrs after park opening of 9am)
3. Yes, you could make another reservation after tapping TS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter