Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I have read through the first seven pages, but still wish to ask for assistance from fellow Disers!

I am planning to go to DHS on 12/26 - Not staying on site.

Last year we stayed on site for one night and went to EPCOT on 12/27. I failed pretty miserably with Genie+ and wound up barely being able to use it. Could I possibly get some tips from you all on planning a DHS day (how should I attack the day with Genie+), obviously on an extremely busy day and adding on to it that I will not have early entry? I thank you in advance for any suggestions!!

Are you able to upgrade Genie+ if you originally buy it for one park but then want to use it to hop? Or downgrade if you buy it for multiple parks but only wind up using it in one?
Yes.

The Guest Services (blue umbrella CMs) will issue a refund for the G+ you purchased and you will have to purchase the park hop version.

Not sure what would happen if the G+ sells out before you are able to change.

I have read through the first seven pages, but still wish to ask for assistance from fellow Disers!

Last year we stayed on site for one night and went to EPCOT on 12/27. I failed pretty miserably with Genie+ and wound up barely being able to use it. Could I possibly get some tips from you all on planning a DHS day (how should I attack the day with Genie+), obviously on an extremely busy day and adding on to it that I will not have early entry? I thank you in advance for any suggestions!!

Check out Tom Bricker's blog on Genie+. I'm planning on studying it for our trip (unless everything changes on 1/9).
Basics:
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/lightning-lanes-genie-plus-disney-world-faq-guide/
DHS itinerary:
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/1-day-hollywood-studios-lightning-lanes-genie-plus/

My friend has park reservations for MK on 12/31. She will be flying that morning and I was going to log into her account at 7am to try for Tron VQ and then purchase Genie+. (She will be in the air at that time) Is there a chance that Genie plus will sell out before Tron VQ is set? I know it’s a long shot to get the 7am VQ.

And when I purchase Genie+ do you have an opinion if I should book Jungle Cruise or BTMRR first?

My friend has park reservations for MK on 12/31. She will be flying that morning and I was going to log into her account at 7am to try for Tron VQ and then purchase Genie+. (She will be in the air at that time) Is there a chance that Genie plus will sell out before Tron VQ is set? I know it’s a long shot to get the 7am VQ.

And when I purchase Genie+ do you have an opinion if I should book Jungle Cruise or BTMRR first?
Is there a reason why you are waiting to purchase G+ until after 7AM. If she’s purchasing it for sure, that can be done anytime after midnight so that you’re ready to book first VQ at 7AM?

I would definitely recommend booking Jingle cruise before BTMRR.

On our 2 days at HS (both afternoons),we started to stack for the afternoon. We were able to get LL's for Slinky, Toy Story, MMRR, Alain Saucer Swirl and Millennium Falcon on the first night. You can read my trip report to see how we handled LL's both days.

Genie+ Park Hopper Multiple Parks Afternoon Stack Strategy

The only park that I have attempted Stack Strategy is Hollywood Studios. I usually will attempt to book a ride that I know will for sure have a time past 2:00 such as Slinky Dog Dash and wait to book my second G+ at 11:00am.

I have also done the same thing with Epcot when trying to book either Ratatouille or Frozen Ever After, but never really do the stack strategy there because I am not stacking too many G+ together at the park like I would at DHS.

My ultimate question is stacking with Magic Kingdom in the afternoon. I will be at Hollywood Studios in the morning (with an AP park reservation). I will not enter Magic Kingdom until the 2:00pm park hop time. Most of the times for MK rides do not cross the 2:00pm time until later in the day, so I would not be able to utilize picking one first thing, 11:00am, maybe even 1:00pm. So ultimately, if my park hop is for MK and I want a G+ for a ride after 2:00pm, would I be able to pull one first thing in the morning or have to wait for when that certain attraction return time reaches past 2:00pm? Or, because MK is my park hop. Will the system select a 2:00pm return time automatically?

Example: Big Thunder Mountain. 7:00am (aka 9:00am) selection time. Return time is only at 9:15am (so the system won't let me select 'maybe?'. Will I have to wait until like 12:30pm when the Return time is at the 2:00pm window. Or, at 7:00am selection time will it generate a return time at 2:00pm. Then I can pull maybe another one at 11:00am for another ride with another 'forced' return time.

Is there some type of thing that must be done to potentially make the system think that MK is a park hop option for me like physically being in the park reservation park (DHS in this case) or needing the 'Multiple Parks' G+ or just the MK G+?

At the end of the day, my question is when can I pull park hopped return times?

The only park that I have attempted Stack Strategy is Hollywood Studios. I usually will attempt to book a ride that I know will for sure have a time past 2:00 such as Slinky Dog Dash and wait to book my second G+ at 11:00am.

I have also done the same thing with Epcot when trying to book either Ratatouille or Frozen Ever After, but never really do the stack strategy there because I am not stacking too many G+ together at the park like I would at DHS.

My ultimate question is stacking with Magic Kingdom in the afternoon. I will be at Hollywood Studios in the morning (with an AP park reservation). I will not enter Magic Kingdom until the 2:00pm park hop time. Most of the times for MK rides do not cross the 2:00pm time until later in the day, so I would not be able to utilize picking one first thing, 11:00am, maybe even 1:00pm. So ultimately, if my park hop is for MK and I want a G+ for a ride after 2:00pm, would I be able to pull one first thing in the morning or have to wait for when that certain attraction return time reaches past 2:00pm? Or, because MK is my park hop. Will the system select a 2:00pm return time automatically?

Example: Big Thunder Mountain. 7:00am (aka 9:00am) selection time. Return time is only at 9:15am (so the system won't let me select 'maybe?'. Will I have to wait until like 12:30pm when the Return time is at the 2:00pm window. Or, at 7:00am selection time will it generate a return time at 2:00pm. Then I can pull maybe another one at 11:00am for another ride with another 'forced' return time.

Is there some type of thing that must be done to potentially make the system think that MK is a park hop option for me like physically being in the park reservation park (DHS in this case) or needing the 'Multiple Parks' G+ or just the MK G+?

The way this works has changed since Genie+ was first introduced, so if you see any older articles/videos, they may give you the contrary answer. The rule now is that you can't book a LL for a time after 2:00 until all the LL times earlier in the day have been taken. There is only one available time: the next available time. It doesn't matter if you are park hopping or not. That is the time. If that time is before 2:00 and your park reservation is for another park, you can't book it. In your example, you'll have to wait until 12:30. I suggest that you buy the multi-park option and book a couple of Genie+ rides at HS that morning.

The way this works has changed since Genie+ was first introduced, so if you see any older articles/videos, they may give you the contrary answer. The rule now is that you can't book a LL for a time after 2:00 until all the LL times earlier in the day have been taken. There is only one available time: the next available time. It doesn't matter if you are park hopping or not. That is the time. If that time is before 2:00 and your park reservation is for another park, you can't book it. In your example, you'll have to wait until 12:30. I suggest that you buy the multi-park option and book a couple of Genie+ rides at HS that morning.

Thanks! That is what I figured. I have never really attempted pulling ones that were not available before 2:00pm, so didn't for sure. Usually, I am trying to get the super popular ones like Ratatouille, SDD, etc that are well after 2:00pm.

I will likely try to grab a few early in the morning at DHS then hope that HM or BTMR opens up for 2:00 earlier than expected.

Thanks! That is what I figured. I have never really attempted pulling ones that were not available before 2:00pm, so didn't for sure. Usually, I am trying to get the super popular ones like Ratatouille, SDD, etc that are well after 2:00pm.

I will likely try to grab a few early in the morning at DHS then hope that HM or BTMR opens up for 2:00 earlier than expected.
with the modify feature, grab the first thing at MK that is out after 2, to lock in your two hour window. Then modify it to what you want, for the time you want later.

We did what you're referring to this past weekend. Started at Epcot with G+ for Remy at 10:00. We had rope-dropped Epcot so we didn't need to pull any more G+ for that park, so I started to stack for the afternoon.

A G+ after 2:00 for MMRR wasn't available to book on the app until around 11:00 AM, although that obviously fluctuates day-to-day.

Note that you can't book a G+ with a return time that starts before 2:00, even if the return window will extend after 2:00 (e.g. booking a 1:55 for an attraction at a park you're hopping to is not possible).

We weren't trying to do a lot in HS, so once my booking window reopened again ~1 PM, I began stacking for MK (where we were going in the evening). Over the course of the afternoon/evening, I was able to stack Jingle Cruise, Peter Pan, Pirates, BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, and Buzz. We also watched HEA that night and we left around 10 (MK was open until 11) and there was a lot of immediate availability for G+ on lower-tier attractions (Dumbo, Little Mermaid, Autopia, etc.) at that point in the night.

Overall, I wouldn't do the parks without G+ (but I still miss FP+). I just hate being up at 7 AM to book, and the post-midnight purchase is so frustrating - we were just doing one park day and our MDE was acting up, so I wasn't sure that I'd be able to book for everyone. Just unnecessarily stressful.

I tried to buy Genie+ this AM, have party tickets for tonight. Wanted to stack rides for 4-6pm like I did a year ago. It said I was ineligible. So I switched Wednesday's park reservation to today and bought the G+. Since I am not using that reservation today, when should I switch it back? Now? After we tap in the park? After the party?

I tried to buy Genie+ this AM, have party tickets for tonight. Wanted to stack rides for 4-6pm like I did a year ago. It said I was ineligible. So I switched Wednesday's park reservation to today and bought the G+. Since I am not using that reservation today, when should I switch it back? Now? After we tap in the park? After the party?
I would wait until you’re finished booking rides with G+. It may not let you book any more if you change your reservation before then.

Curious if this worked? I knew they were closing that loophole...

So, reporting back. I waited until 5pm and then canceled my MK reservation and re-booked Epcot. Stacked Genie+ for later in the day. Did not buy iLL. Of course this is a moot point soon since there are only 2 parties left and reservations are going away soon, but maybe it will help someone this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter