Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I have a question about the photo benefits with Genie+. On Disney's site, it says you receive digital downloads on select attraction images and you unlock special PhotoPass lenses. Does this essentially give all the same benefits as the MemoryMaker? What are the differences? TIA
No, they are very different. Genie+ gives you attraction photos for some attractions but MemoryMaker gives you those plus photos taken by Disney photographers.

There might have been a change to Genie plus. We are regular Disney goers. What we usually do is arrive at the park early, use our first genie plus selection and then after that select one after the other. We went this weekend and we had to wait two hours after each Genie plus selection. Double tapping the first selection did not allow us to make another one. We tried three different days. Did anyone else have this problem?

There might have been a change to Genie plus. We are regular Disney goers. What we usually do is arrive at the park early, use our first genie plus selection and then after that select one after the other. We went this weekend and we had to wait two hours after each Genie plus selection. Double tapping the first selection did not allow us to make another one. We tried three different days. Did anyone else have this problem?

Were you tapping into your most recently booked LL reservation? You must tap into your most recently booked LL in order to be eligible to book the next one.

There have not been any announcements that G+ is changing or has recently changed.

Last edited:
Here's what we just did this past Saturday and Sunday. We purchased ILL for Guardians, Tron, Flight, Rise).

On Saturday, we were able to get two LLs at Epcot, and then stacked five LLs for Magic Kingdom (could have gotten more, as park was open until 11 pm, but the rain was steady all day, and our ponchos were no longer keeping us as dry as we would have liked).

On Sunday, we didn't book any LLs for Animal Kingdom. Booked Slinky at 7am, of course, and at 10:30 when eligible for 2nd LL, no DHS attractions had return time after 2:00 pm yet. Had to wait until 10:50 to get 2:00 LL for Mickey & Minnie Railway (this will no longer be a factor for trips after January 9, 2024). We got a total of 6 LLs for DHS.

So if you have only 2 days to do all four parks, and if you don't have children in your group (we were one adult and two teenagers who were primarily interested in doing the major attractions), I think the Epcot/MK hop, and the AK/DHS hop is the way to go. We all had very sore feet by the end of Day 2, but it was fun challenge, and our Master Plan basically worked.

For those interested in the details........

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16 [Rain all day]
7:00 am: Got Remy LL (9:15), Got Guardians ILL (10:25), Got Tron ILL (4:10)

EPCOT
8:25 am: Rope drop (near Test Track)
8:30 am: TEST TRACK
9:15 am: SOARIN OVER CALIFORNIA
10:00 am: REMY’S RATATOUILLE ADVENTURE (LL)
10:00 am: Got Frozen LL (12:40)
10:50 am: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (ILL)
11:30 am: Lunch (CONNECTIONS EATERY)
12:00 pm: Got Jungle Cruise LL (6:20)
12:30 pm: MISSION SPACE
1:05 pm: FROZEN EVER AFTER (LL)
1:25 pm: GRAN FIESTA TOUR
1:55 pm: SPACESHIP EARTH
2:00 pm: Got Haunted Mansion LL (4:10)
2:20 pm: JOURNEY OF WATER
2:45 pm: Monorail to MK

MAGIC KINGDOM
3:05 pm: At park
3:20 pm: MICKEY’S PHILHARMAGIC
4:00 pm: Got Space Mountain LL (5:40)
4:10 pm: HAUNTED MANSION (LL)
4:40 pm: TRON (ILL)
5:10 pm: Dinner (COSMIC RAY’S)
6:00 pm: Got Buzz LL (6:05)
6:10 pm: BUZZ LIGHTYEAR
6:10 pm: Got Big Thunder LL (6:15)
6:25 pm: SPACE MOUNTAIN (LL)
6:55 pm: JUNGLE CRUISE (LL)
7:10 pm: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
7:25 pm: BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN RAILROAD (LL)
8:00 pm: Called it quits because of rain (but could have done Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with 15 min. wait time posted)

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 17
7:00 am: Got Slinky LL (5:05), Flight of Passage ILL (11:35), Rise ILL (2:30)

ANIMAL KINGDOM
7:15 am: Rope drop at entrance
7:35 am: EXPEDITION EVEREST
7:50 am: NAVI RIVER JOURNEY
8:15 am: Went to Safari but it was temporarily closed
8:20 am: EXPEDITION EVEREST
8:40 am: DINOSAUR (Safari came up while we were in Dinosaur)
9:10 am: KILIMINJARO SAFARI (said 30 min, actual 15 min.)
10:00 am: KALI RIVER RAPIDS
10:30 am: FEATHERED FRIENDS IN FLIGHT
10:50 am: Got Mickey & Minnie Railway LL (2:00)
11:15 am: Lunch (FLAME TREE BARBECUE)
12:00 pm: FLIGHT OF PASSAGE (ILL)
12:45 pm: IT’S TOUGH TO BE A BUG 3D
12:50 pm: Got Rock n Roller Coaster LL (4:35)
1:30 pm: Bus to DHS

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
1:55 pm: In park
2:00 pm: MICKEY & MINNIE’S RUNAWAY RAILWAY (LL)
2:30 pm: MUPPETS 3D
2:50 pm: Got Tower of Terror LL (7:25)
3:15 pm: RISE OF THE RESISTANCE (ILL)
4:00 pm: INDIANA JONES STUNT SHOW
4:50 pm: Got Millenium Falcon LL (7:45)
5:10 pm: ROCK N ROLLER COASTER (LL)
5:45 pm: SLINKY DOG DASH (LL)
6:20 pm: Dinner (ABC COMMISSARY)
7:20 pm: TOWER OF TERROR (LL)
7:20 pm: Got Toy Story Mania LL (8:10)
8:00 pm: MILLENIUM FALCON (LL)
8:30 pm: Skipped Toy Story Mania for early arrival to Fantasmic
9:00 pm: FANTASMIC
This is an amazing recap, thank you!

Were you tapping into your most recently booked LL reservation? You must tap into your most recently booked LL in order to be eligible to book the next one.

There have not been any announcements that G+ is changing.
Yes, we had only made one reservation so it was definitely the most recently booked. This happened three days in a row. We did notice that the lightning lanes went really fast. It might have been a glitch, but we go to Disney about twice a year and had not had problems like this before. This has been our very successful hack until now.

Yes, we had only made one reservation so it was definitely the most recently booked. This happened three days in a row. We did notice that the lightning lanes went really fast. It might have been a glitch, but we go to Disney about twice a year and had not had problems like this before. This has been our very successful hack until now.
Going to see if anyone else experiences this possible change as we have had no other reports of it happening. I’m sure if others experience report needing to wait the full 2 hours in spite of tapping into their most recently booked experience, it will be reported here. As of now we can say we’ve had 1 report of this happening.

So once again, confusing. I thought you had to wait 2 hours from booking OR use the pass (whichever is first) before booking a new one. How does 'tapping the first selection' bypass this?

Book pass at 9am for return time 2pm....new pass can be booked at 11am
Book pass at 9am for return time 10.30....new pass can be booked at 10.30 or when pass is used (whichever is first).
Nothing has officially changed which is why this is reported as only one person's experience and nothing has been updated on page one of this thread. Please see the requirements for booking Genie+ LL attractions on page 1.

Going to see if anyone else experiences this possible change as we have had no other reports of it happening. I’m sure if others experience report needing to wait the full 2 hours in spite of tapping into their most recently booked experience, it will be reported here. As of now we can say we’ve had 1 report of this happening.
We just used Genie+ this past weekend and this was not the case for us.

We were able to book another selection immediately after tapping in.

We just used Genie+ this past weekend and this was not the case for us.

We were able to book another selection immediately after tapping in.
Thank you. I was guessing this was the case. Possibly something was just a little off with the other person's G+ as this would have been a major change that would have been all over the forums and blogs should Disney have changed how G+ functions.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

In the Disneyland forum, DLRExpert and others have reported what rides you can/can't use a Multi-Experience pass (also known as an MEP, anytime pass, Lightning Lane - Select Experience, and by a few other terms) for. We don't have a list like that for the Florida parks, but I thought I'd report my limited experience with MEPs last week at WDW to add to the pool of knowledge.

At Epcot (January 10), I got an MEP when Remy went down. It was not good for Guardians, Frozen Ever After, and Test Track.

At Magic Kingdom (January 11), I got one for Big Thunder Mountain. It was not good for the Parade, Enchanted Tales with Belle, the meet-and-greets with Ariel, Cinderella, Mickey, or Tiana, the ILL rides (Tron and 7DMT) or the rides Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, and Space Mountain.

FWIW, I had single park Genie+ both days. I don't think that would make a difference, but who knows. I did not test if MEP acceleration (a term used in the Disneyland forum) would work. I didn't want to risk my Remy MEP if it didn't. (I used that MEP for Remy after the ride came back up.) And I spent most of the rest of my day, after getting the MEP for BTMRR, with a friend who did not have an MEP, so we rode only rides we could both get LLs for at the same time. I wound up not using that MEP at all.

Edit: corrected dates

Last edited:
Several posts recently in this thread mentioned that the app will let you know when you can book your next Genie+ LL. Based on my experience last week, it doesn't work well if not everyone in your planning group is booking all their LLs together. There were a few times that the app told me I could book my next LL "now." But when I went to book one for myself, it would only allow me to book one for someone else in my planning group who was then eligible. Below the list of people who were then eligible was a list of the rest of us. After each of the rest of us was a statement (I don't remember the wording) that we were "not eligible to book until" and then nothing. It didn't list the time. Lesson learned: if you are going to be subject to the 2-hour rule, keep track of when you last booked. Don't depend on the Genie to let you know.

In the Disneyland forum, DLRExpert and others have reported what rides you can/can't use a Multi-Experience pass (also known as an MEP, anytime pass, Lightning Lane - Select Experience, and by a few other terms) for. We don't have a list like that for the Florida parks, but I thought I'd report my limited experience with MEPs last week at WDW to add to the pool of knowledge.

At Epcot (January 11), I got an MEP when Remy went down. It was not good for Guardians, Frozen Ever After, and Test Track.

At Magic Kingdom (January 12), I got one for Big Thunder Mountain. It was not good for the Parade, Enchanted Tales with Belle, the meet-and-greets with Ariel, Cinderella, Mickey, or Tiana, the ILL rides (Tron and 7DMT) or the rides Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, and Space Mountain.

FWIW, I had single park Genie+ both days. I don't think that would make a difference, but who knows. I did not test if MEP acceleration (a term used in the Disneyland forum) would work. I didn't want to risk my Remy MEP if it didn't. (I used that MEP for Remy after the ride came back up.) And I spent most of the rest of my day, after getting the MEP for BTMRR, with a friend who did not have an MEP, so we rode only rides we could both get LLs for at the same time. I wound up not using that MEP at all.
Ugh, I wish I had remembered all the rides I couldn’t use a MEP after MMRR went down last year but the list was LONG, basically rendered it useless. Expected Rise and Slinky to be on the list, but then it kept going, ToT was there, I believe TSM and Smugglers Run too. Ditto MMRR. RnRC was in refurb so no clue if that would be on the list. Didn’t have anything I would use it on.

No, they are very different. Genie+ gives you attraction photos for some attractions but MemoryMaker gives you those plus photos taken by Disney photographers.
Thank you - I enjoy the attraction photos and don't often use the Disney photographers. Do you know what the special PhotoPass lenses are? Not sure what this means.

Is Genie+ a race like trying to get ADR dining reservations? If so, does it help to have all of the adults sitting together trying to get in at the same time and first one wins. Or, as the designated trip organizer, should I just do the racing myself. My son is an adult and is very savvy so I could see both of us trying to get things reserved if it is nothing more than a race. Or could one of us be getting LL passes and one working on Genie+. TIA

Is Genie+ a race like trying to get ADR dining reservations? If so, does it help to have all of the adults sitting together trying to get in at the same time and first one wins. Or, as the designated trip organizer, should I just do the racing myself. My son is an adult and is very savvy so I could see both of us trying to get things reserved if it is nothing more than a race. Or could one of us be getting LL passes and one working on Genie+. TIA
It really depends which LL you are attempting to get. Very few fill at 7AM but some such as Slinky will fill for the entire day shortly after 7AM.

The vast majority of LL, one person is sufficient.

Strange thing today. I made reservation for Toy Story Mania for 9:10am at 7:00 this morning. Genie + says I can make another at 10:10. Am I wrong or it should have been at 11:00?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter