Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

When I book at 7 am , sometimes the time period I want for a ride is too early. I am trying for a 10-11 am , so I sit and refresh for sometimes a 1/2 or more Till it reaches my desired time frame. Is it better to just grab the earlier time and modify? Also , does modifying change the next time I can grab another choice?

When I book at 7 am , sometimes the time period I want for a ride is too early. I am trying for a 10-11 am , so I sit and refresh for sometimes a 1/2 or more Till it reaches my desired time frame. Is it better to just grab the earlier time and modify? Also , does modifying change the next time I can grab another choice?
Absolutely better to grab and then modify. It matters less when you make changes prior to park opening, but during the day, use modify. If you cancel and rebook, the 2-hr clock starts over. If you modify, the next available time to book doesn't change.

Most choose to grab what they can and then modify to a later time as they become available.

Doing this means you will be able to book your next LL sooner as you will start the 2 hour clock when you book unless, the 2 hour window is within the first 2 hours the park is open.

Generally though, I would recommend booking then trying to modify.

With respect to the 2-hour rule, all bookings made before Park Open of the park where you make your first G+ LL selection are treated the same. If the park opens at 9:00, it doesn't matter if you made the booking at 7:00:01 or 8:59:59, the 2-hour rule lets you make your next selection at 11:00. Of course, the 2-hour rule doesn't always determine when you can make your next selection. If you tap in to that first selection before 11:00, or it expires before 11:00, or you cancel it before 11:00, you can make another selection then. In general, booking and modifying is the better way to go, but as long as you actually book your first selection before park open, it doesn't matter.

If you modify, the time when you can make your next selection can change if your potential "tap in" time or expiration time changes and that governs instead of the 2-hour rule, or vice versa. See Post 9 of this thread.

Edit: added "or vice versa"

Last edited:

Currently at WDW and just need to rant and hopefully Disney is monitoring. Genie+ really only makes sense if you go early am (con is you don’t get the better rides such as SDD) or you stack throughout the day (con: you have to be on your phone all day at 2 hour intervals). Both have you waking up at 7am and spending lots of time coordinating, stuck with time windows that are tough to plan other things around (such as meals, etc). This is not a premium experience and this is from someone that has been to the parks 20+ times. I don’t understand why they don’t go back to the pick 3 in advance at the times you want based on the availability they have even if it just 24 hours. Expecting your fans (and core fans at that) to be at the parks from open to close is not realistic and it is not enjoyable. I cannot justify purchasing this going forward until it is improved. Disney you are losing future revenue opportunity.

Does anyone know what age your kid can join you in reserving genie plus attractions? If I purchase it, and she is linked to me and she is 13, would she be able to use the MDE with her account on her phone to select some lightning lanes?

Thanks!

Thanks! Yes was thinking about this too.
Do you happen to know if a 13 year old could make lightning lane reservations if genie plus already purchased?
I just sign my daughter in on my account, on her device and we both try at the same time.
Nevermind, I had been looking for this info and finally found it (I think). In a PlanDisney Q and A from 2022, you need to be 13 to have an account, 16 to do lightning lanes, and 18 to make purchases.
Will do your strategy next time we go! 👍

Nevermind, I had been looking for this info and finally found it (I think). In a PlanDisney Q and A from 2022, you need to be 13 to have an account, 16 to do lightning lanes, and 18 to make purchases.
Will do your strategy next time we go! 👍
That's interesting info and something I was not aware of. I would have thought that if G+ was purchased on their behalf, at 13 year-old could make a LL reservation for themself, since it's not financial. Apparently not. Good to learn that.....

That's interesting info and something I was not aware of. I would have thought that if G+ was purchased on their behalf, at 13 year-old could make a LL reservation for themself, since it's not financial. Apparently not. Good to learn that.....
Since kids can tour the parks at age 14, I thought 14 made sense. Interesting about the 16...

Want to make sure things have not changed, ILL purchases, can I choose a time to schedule the ride? or is it only the time that is listed on the tip board that is available?

Anyone know if we booked GoTG 7am virtual queue, did early entry from 7:30-9:30 at Magic Kingdom, then went to Epcot for GoTG and finished the ride by 1:00pm, could we book 1pm Tron virtual queue while we are in Epcot since we already checked into Magic Kingdom?

Anyone do this? Sounds like people think you can book a 1pm virtual queue if already checked into the same park…but if you check into another park after, people think you then cannot.

Thanks!!!

Anyone know if we booked GoTG 7am virtual queue, did early entry from 7:30-9:30 at Magic Kingdom, then went to Epcot for GoTG and finished the ride by 1:00pm, could we book 1pm Tron virtual queue while we are in Epcot since we already checked into Magic Kingdom?

Anyone do this? Sounds like people think you can book a 1pm virtual queue if already checked into the same park…but if you check into another park after, people think you then cannot.

Thanks!!!
Historically, as long as you have tapped into the park where the VQ is, you are eligible to try for the 1PM drop. I’m not sure if anyone has gone to another park but I would not anticipate that causing a problem. We do have reports of people tapping into a park, leaving before 1PM and still being successful getting a 1PM VQ.

If you have Park Hopper Genie +, anyone know if you can modify a LL reservation (say Navi in AK) from one park to another park (say Jungle Cruise in MK) or can you only modify to a ride within same park?

If you have Park Hopper Genie +, anyone know if you can modify a LL reservation (say Navi in AK) from one park to another park (say Jungle Cruise in MK) or can you only modify to a ride within same park?
No - you can only modify to the same park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter