Everything PhotoPass & Memory Maker

I purchased MM Jan 2020 for May 2020 trip that didn't happen. We are booked for June 2021 and I see it still linked to my reservation under MDE...but I don't remember "how to download" the pictures to activate the account. I thought at MK there was a kiosk in Town Hall that we went to (in 2016) to view all the pics from the first day we went. But reading the first page here is sounds like you view it on your phone now to download...is that correct?
Also, My niece will be joining us one day while we are on site. Do they scan everyone's magic band and notice she doesn't have a MB to scan....can she still be in the pic? Same thing if my Sister and BIL come also, can we all be in any pic together as long as ONE of us under MDE has the band to be scanned? They won't have a resort reservation to "add" her (or them) as family under MDE. Thanks!

I purchased MM Jan 2020 for May 2020 trip that didn't happen. We are booked for June 2021 and I see it still linked to my reservation under MDE...but I don't remember "how to download" the pictures to activate the account. I thought at MK there was a kiosk in Town Hall that we went to (in 2016) to view all the pics from the first day we went. But reading the first page here is sounds like you view it on your phone now to download...is that correct?
Also, My niece will be joining us one day while we are on site. Do they scan everyone's magic band and notice she doesn't have a MB to scan....can she still be in the pic? Same thing if my Sister and BIL come also, can we all be in any pic together as long as ONE of us under MDE has the band to be scanned? They won't have a resort reservation to "add" her (or them) as family under MDE. Thanks!
Anyone can be in the photos, no MB required! They don’t scan everyone’s MB, just one, and as long as that person is you or is in your Friends & Family list the photos will appear in your account. You download via MDE to your phone and/or to your PC.

I still go into the MK Main Street photo shop ( Opposite Tony’s Restaurant) to view my photos. They can add special Borders with characters or events. I like to order one or two poses for myself and to send to my daughter. I chose photos in front of the Xmas tree and they added a holiday decorated ornament frame with ChipnDale and then I added the year on the other. Can not believe they did not Have a Happy New Year but castmember found a 2021 design plus they usually give you a designed folder with a bonus Mickey& Minnie picture or the holiday castle aglow with lights .I forgot when I was their for Halloween to make purchase. I won’t forget this year. I wonder if they have Easter design with Mr& Mrs Easter Bunny....
Anyway it is so much easier to view it with castmembers assistance. But I have an old cellphone.unfortunately And they are still available walk in on Main Street

Last edited:
Anyone can be in the photos, no MB required! They don’t scan everyone’s MB, just one, and as long as that person is you or is in your Friends & Family list the photos will appear in your account. You download via MDE to your phone and/or to your PC.

Thank you for letting me know, I really appreciate it!

You can use the kiosk, or simply download a photo with your phone, or on a computer / tablet to activate the Memory Maker. You don't necessarily need to activate the account while you are in Disney World, you can wait until you get home, all of your photos from the trip will be there.

They only need to scan one MB, and you can have anyone with or without a MB in the photo with you. One thing to note, if you want on ride photos of your niece, she will either have to have a MB, OR someone who has one will have to sit with her in order for the ride to connect her photo with your account. On SOME rides, you could claim the photo after the ride using your MB, but this is not possible with all on ride photos (doesn't work with Haunted Mansion, or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and some others)

There is a new (to me) promotion showing up on MDE for a free day if you buy the one-day Memory Maker. Can I purchase this ahead of time or do I need to purchase it on the day we are in the parks?

There is a new (to me) promotion showing up on MDE for a free day if you buy the one-day Memory Maker. Can I purchase this ahead of time or do I need to purchase it on the day we are in the parks?
To the best of my knowledge, you can not pre-purchase the one day memory maker. You must have at least one photo in your PhotoPass account from the day which you want the Memory Maker before you can actually purchase it.

So, the earliest you can make the one day Memory Maker purchase is on the day from which you want the photos. You can, however, decide at a later date (say a week later when you get home from your vacation) to purchase a one day Memory Maker for any day of your trip. I know that doesn't help you to "lock in" that deal, but to the best of my knowledge, that is the way the one day works.

To the best of my knowledge, you can not pre-purchase the one day memory maker.
You must have at least one photo in your PhotoPass account from the day which you want the Memory Maker before you can actually purchase it.
Thanks, Tomh. I’ll wait until we’re there to buy it. It is showing up as available to purchase now in MDE, but maybe that’s because of the free wallpapers Disney added.

Thanks, Tomh. I’ll wait until we’re there to buy it. It is showing up as available to purchase now in MDE, but maybe that’s because of the free wallpapers Disney added.

Yes, I believe that the free wallpapers are the reason it is showing up. The way you purchase the one day is by opening a photo in the My Disney Experience app on your phone, then clicking through from there to make the purchase. As such, you can't make the purchase if you don't have any photos yet. I would therefore assume that you see the option only because of the wallpapers.

Do you need to know what magic picture you want taken or can you ask the photographer?
Many of the locations only have a single Magic Shot. Some photographers will do the Magic Shot automatically, others don't. So ask the photographer if they have one (or more).
What rides do not work with MM?
If the attraction has a photo, it's available with MM. There are a number of attractions that require you to have a MagicBand with a working battery in order for them to automatically link. The Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Slinky Dog Dash, Frozen Ever After don't have photo displays at the end of the ride, so these require a MagicBand. There may be others that require a MB as these are all I can think of at the moment.

So if we have a magicband and a memory makers...we can get all the ride pictures?

I re-read your post and answered my own question....the answer is yes :-)

Last edited:
So if we have a magicband and a memory makers...we can get all the ride pictures?

I re-read your post and answered my own question....the answer is yes :-)
Indeed, the answer is yes, you should get all of your ride photos.

Did the length of how long photos stay on mde change?

we have pictures from a stay last November 2000 that expire November 2001
Yet picture from January 2021 expire after 6 Weeks
(Have a Gold AP with an April 2021 expiration date fwiw)

Did the length of how long photos stay on mde change?

we have pictures from a stay last November 2000 that expire November 2001
Yet picture from January 2021 expire after 6 Weeks
(Have a Gold AP with an April 2021 expiration date fwiw)
Are they your photos or from one of your connected friends?

Photos linked using YOUR MagicBand should not expire for 1 year. Photos linked from a connected friends MagicBand will expire in 45 days.

Photos linked using YOUR MagicBand should not expire for 1 year. Photos linked from a connected friends MagicBand will expire in 45 days.
That must of changed because I have connected friends photos from just before the closure last March still on my MDE
Other than that it makes sense

I thought 45 days was the standard, unless you have an AP. I seem to recall having access to friends / family photos for a full year when I had my AP, but we all had just 45 days when I was using base tickets, with a separate Memory Maker purchase.

We had a previously scheduled trip for 2020 which we postponed. At that time, I purchased tickets and Memory Maker. DH and I are going on a trip in September, while the rest of the family is not going until 2022. Can I save the MM until the 2022 trip? It won't be automatically activated when I use my tickets for DH and me? Thanks!

We had a previously scheduled trip for 2020 which we postponed. At that time, I purchased tickets and Memory Maker. DH and I are going on a trip in September, while the rest of the family is not going until 2022. Can I save the MM until the 2022 trip? It won't be automatically activated when I use my tickets for DH and me? Thanks!

Memory Maker doesn't actually become active until you download your first photo, so as long as neither you, nor your husband, download any of the photos from your September 2021 trip, you should be able to wait until 2022 to use your Memory Maker.

Quite a few years ago we were able to edit photopass pictures, like adding borders and characters. Is that not a thing any more, or am I just missing it? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter