• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exactly WHY (oh why) isn't smoking or non-smoking a GUARANTEE?

MrsNick said:
::yes::

Exactly. I don't want be exposed to this hazard more than necessary. Who wants to wonder if this increased one's family's risk to disease?

I'm a non-smoker who doesn't like smoke or smoke reside any more than any other non-smoker, but, last I checked, there was no study that supported the idea that smoke reside (not active second hand smoke, but the smoke reside left behind from something like a smokers hotel room) had any link to health issues in healthy non-asthmatic, non-allergic individuals. If you have evidence otherwise, I'd be very interested.

(And I'd love a non-smoking resort with fines for smokers.)

crisi said:
I'm a non-smoker who doesn't like smoke or smoke reside any more than any other non-smoker, but, last I checked, there was no study that supported the idea that smoke reside (not active second hand smoke, but the smoke reside left behind from something like a smokers hotel room) had any link to health issues in healthy non-asthmatic, non-allergic individuals. If you have evidence otherwise, I'd be very interested.

(And I'd love a non-smoking resort with fines for smokers.)

I'm not a medical professional, don't even play one on tv, but tobacco smoke residue is known to contain carcinogens. Personally, I'd rather make the assumption that is is dangerous and avoid it rather than keep exposing my family to it and hoping it will turn out to be harmless.

It's difficult to get the medical world to agree on anything, from eggs to aspirin, so I'm just gonna go with my gut feeling on this one.

Nearly everything we eat contains trace levels of carcinogens. So does gas fumes. Nitrates, tannins, a wide variety of the chemicals our foods are treated with (particularly pesticides). Even sunshine. I can understand trying to avoid carcinogens, I just don't think most people are going to be very successful. Perhaps not staying in a smoking hotel room will make the difference between getting and not getting cancer, but I'm skeptical.

I still think that DVC rooms should be non-smoking. I just think the health risk to healthy people is practically nil and that its not a great argument for change.

Well, if listening to one's body is any indicator, headache, runny eyes, nose, and sore throat tells me I'm in a place I don't want to be. Never got those symptoms from sunshine.

I can understand one insisting on scientific proof if one's body doesn't display any of the symptoms I mentioned. Since having all of those things doesn't translate into a very nice vacation for me, I'd prefer to avoid them.

jarestel said:
I don't work in the hospitality industry, but here's a thought... if a hotel has only 75 ns rooms and they are already booked, let the 76th caller and beyond know this when they call. Let the guest decide whether or not they want the room at the time of reservation, don't stick them with it when they check in.

What happens on the day of arrival when two of the NS rooms are taken out of inventory for repairs? What happens to the two families who were guaranteed a NS room at that point? They surely aren't getting the NS room they were guaranteed.

Seems the guarantee of NS room comes with too great a cost, given the bad PR which would follow a broken guarantee.

TCPluto said:
What happens on the day of arrival when two of the NS rooms are taken out of inventory for repairs? What happens to the two families who were guaranteed a NS room at that point? They surely aren't getting the NS room they were guaranteed.

Seems the guarantee of NS room comes with too great a cost, given the bad PR which would follow a broken guarantee.

Good to see you TC.

Well, go back and re-read Coll0610's post. It splains how this could be done without throwing everything into a state of disarray.

sorry! Apparently I'm guilty of posting after only skimming previous posts!!

I like the idea of making the entire resort NS. Whether that's in DVC's best interest from a PR perspective, I don't really know, but would think probably not.

Maybe all of us non smokers will get lucky and Florida will pass a law phrohibiting smoking in resort/rental rooms, taking DVC off the hook.

pirateparrot said:
Just because Holiday Inn mades a "guarantee" that you will get either a smoking or non-smoking room does not guarantee they will deliver. On many occasions my Dad who is a smoker was simply handed an ashtray and told to go ahead and smoke in the "non-smoking" room when they could not deliver.
This is exactly the type of thing that happens to DH, too, only in reverse. He's "guaranteed" a non-smoking room when he makes his reservation, only to show up and find the hotel no longer has that non-smoking room he was "guaranteed". DVC's policy of not guaranteeing non-smoking rooms used to bother me until this happened to DH a few times (he travels extensively on business). Now, I appreciate that at least DVC is being honest-they're not saying non-smoking is guaranteed, when it's really not, like so many other hotels are doing. Don't think a guaranteed non-smoking room is really guaranteed-it's not!

Just returned home today from staying at Old Key West. At the member update on Wednesday afternoon we were told Saratoga Springs is 98% non smoking due to member requests. Keep giving your input! By the way, Saratoga Springs now has 18,000 members.

On another note--I stayed in a guaranteed non smoking room at a Country Inn & Suites in Bountiful, Utah two weeks ago. When I checked in I was given a paper to sign that said I understood I was in a guaranteed non smoking room and if I smoked in it I would have a $100 charge added to my credit card. I thought that was interesting. Trouble is, the person who has the extra $100 would take that as a green light to smoke.

Wow! 98% non-smoking at SSR is huge. I wonder just how many members request smoking vs. those that request non-smoking. It must not be many. :)

disneykidatheart said:
Just returned home today from staying at Old Key West. At the member update on Wednesday afternoon we were told Saratoga Springs is 98% non smoking due to member requests. Keep giving your imput! By the way, Saratoga Springs now has 18,000 members.o smoke.

But are they allowed to smoke on the balconys? At OKW I found it disgusting to be in a non-smoking room, go out on the balcony and have the people on the next balcony puffing away and the smoke drifting onto my balcony. Then you look down on the ground by the balcony and see old cigarette butts on the ground all around the balcony...smjj

If DVC made a real effort at matching appropriate requests and refusing inappropriate ones, this would be a non issue. DVC should accept general location, NS/SMOKING, multiple rooms nearby, and maybe, first floor non HC and that's about it. They should give owners at THAT resort first priority with the order of preference owners, other DVC members staying on points, cash guests then exchangers. They should refuse requests for specific building or rooms or any other similar silly request. Unfortunately everyone suffers because they can't control what should be a simple system and in the case of the NS/S debate, directly booked rooms. It's true that even a direct booked unit can be unavailable. We seen stories on this board of a couple of people showing up with a reservation and the resort not even have a unit at all so there are no absolute guarantees even with guaranteed NS.

Alright...I am a smoker. My wife is not and my daughter has exercise induced asthma. I know about watching where I smoke.

If DVC went to non-smoking in all rooms, I would be fine with that. I can't smoke in my room now if it is a smoking room(although our "request" for NS has always been honored)

I have stayed in hotel rooms that are smoking, and they have made me feel ill from the smell. This is coming from a smoker no less.

I would not be bothered in the least if DVC made all rooms non-smoking. The balconies...that's a different story...LOL

Can you imagine the nightmare at BWV if they had a guarantee. "I am sorry, your smoking standard view studio is not available due to a maintainance issue, but we do I have a non-smoking available"

Response: "Smoking preference was my first preference!"

"Well we do have a two bedroon smoking available, it is a preferred view, would that be alright?"

Good grief.....what a nightmare this would be.

I say do away with smoking rooms all together! (and remember I am a smoker)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies and input. I started this thread and have really learned a lot from all the replies.

Also, thanks for not letting this turn into an out and out smoking vs. ns debate (though this thread seemed to be drifting that way at times ;)

I guess time will tell if anything changes with smoking vs. ns at DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter