$ Exchange Rates

disneycymru

Disney Bound Again
I know it's a bit sad but I always keep an eye on the exchange rate before going to the US. I figure that if I'm going to change a couple of thousand pound then that's an extra $50 for every 5 cent drop in the value of the dollar for each thousand. That would almost pay for my pal mickey for my youngest daughter. Anyway back to the point, I don't know if you've noticed but the dollar has dropped recently and was being offered at between $1.736 - $1.715 to the £ at the retail bureau de change. The even better news is it dropped on the commercial market again today, so it is probably worth keeping an eye on if you need some currency over the next few weeks. By my calculation there should be a 1 cent improvement in the rate tommorow, pretty good considering it has been as low as $1.67 in the past month. For info the best rate today was available at Crown Exchange and Thomas Exchange. I've not used these companies in the past but would be intrested if anybody had. Thanks

You are not sad, just wanting a good deal, nothing wrong with that. We're not going till end of 2007 and I'm tempted already. Just keep reminding myself the cash is best left in the bank earning interest. Noticed in the TA's and M&S the dollar is 1.71 today. :thumbsup2

I've been watching the rate too - have to pay off our Disney cruise and some wedding stuff, so it's good to see the market rate up near 1.78.

I haven't used Thomas Exchange, they normally have one of the best rates around - but Travelex online will price match (they just deduct the £5 Thomas Exchange charge you for delivery). I have used Travelex loads of times - you just pick up the currency from the airport when you fly, or if it's too far away in time, we just drive to Cardiff Airport and collect it there (good excuse to go to M&S at Culverhouse X!). They send you a cheque for the difference in value of their rate and Thomas Exchange - their website has details of the price match scheme and how you claim, but I've never had a problem.
Let's hope it keeps rising!

Thanks for the info on Travelex price match that sounds good to me. Here's hoping for $2 to the £1, some hope but I can dream! :banana:

why not get a nationwide cc or there flex acount.Both offer the bank rate not the tourist rate so today you would get $1.77 to the pound.Use cc for shops hotels ect(we pay our DVC dues and we save a lot useing it) and flex debit card to get cash out form cash machines.If you use publix cash machine no charge (like our link network0.or if you want cash use www.foremostcurrencygroup.co.uk they sponcer the money pages teletext channel 4 (page 529).They give the bank rate but if you buy less than £50,000 cost is £10 per transaction.been watching $ verces £ for last 15 years so its not sad.Looks like £ will stay high if they are not going to raise intrest rates in usa
Paul

yes the dollar has been dropping against all currencies for the past few weeks....of course if you take advantage now, you might lose out if it goes lower...on the other hand, it could well recover, and then you'll have lost out........i'm on the other side of the coin....my professional fees are linked to the dollar, so i've been holding off invoicing in hopes that the dollar would recover......hmmmmm....

Its a good game this one, never knowing when to jump. Lets just say I'll be ready to pounce when the time is right. Thanks for the web link Netty, really good site,
Claire xx

I just ordered some dollars from Marks and Spencer, I got 1.724 which I thought was quite good, will be keeping an eye out the next few days to see if it rises any more. :goodvibes

I don't know whether anyone is interested, but I was having a look around earlier about the currency market, and found some information about how to predict what the markets will do - I've posted it on the Community Board. I'm not saying it will help, but it is quite interesting! All I need to now is start studying the US economy....

LOL, if it was accurate then all the currency dealers would be using it and the dollar would be in free fall.

It does look like it might get worst, the call by the IMF for the dollar to be devlaued may not help, but it depends on the way the markets interperte what is happening and also the way the things between US and Iran go.

Netty said:
also have a look here
http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk/
i posted this site a few weeks ago, it can be found in the stickies at the top of this forum :thumbsup2

Thanks for that link, quite useful....

I took a look at Saga, and the chart said 1.7151 as of yesterday. I just checked now and its up to 1.7283, which is quite an increase in a day. All coming at the right time for me, just a shame I havent any moeny left to buy any more bucks !

Have to laugh at BA down at the bottom of the chart yesterday, 1.6693.... Looks like they insist on ripping people off every step of the way. Im glad the company is on my boycott list (for removing the Union flag from their planes).

Amyrlin said:
LOL, if it was accurate then all the currency dealers would be using it and the dollar would be in free fall.

It does look like it might get worst, the call by the IMF for the dollar to be devlaued may not help, but it depends on the way the markets interperte what is happening and also the way the things between US and Iran go.

I've just always been curious about the factors that influence the rise and fall of the $ - I'm not about to ditch my career and become a currency trader!! It's just a really simple approach to the types of things that affect currencies, I thought it was quite interesting, but then that's just me. I just posted it because I've often seen questions on here about what factors send the dollar up or down.

Dont know if this helps anyone but managed to get $1.724 / £ this lunchtime at Lunn Poly on £300 - Post Office and Thomas Cook were both $1.70, so give them a look when you need some currency.

Just a quick note to say the rate continues to climb and I was interested to read in the Times yesterday that the US is not going to keep the pressure on increasing interest rates. This statement was refelected by a jump in the rates by 2 cents in the past to days. It looks as if it could go higher! :cool1:

Travelex today was 1.75!!! I'm going to wait a few more days and see if it goes up any higher...fingers crossed!!! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter