Exercise at WL -personal rant time

snarlingcoyote

<font color=blue>I know people who live in really
Okay, I just need to get this out of my system and than I'm fine and will go on my merry little way:

So we did the skillet option at Whispering Canyon this evening. I figured that the hours spend pounding the pavement at Epcot STILL wouldn't make up for that meal, so off I went to the exercise room. (first time this week I've felt that need. It is true, my tastes have changed in the past 2.5 years since I joined WWers - left to my own devices, I generally prefer the lower-calorie, healthy options.)

I'm obviously new. The girl at the counter has to point out where the remote control is. She does NOT tell me that the box on the elliptical fits to headphones and that she has headphones to lend out. I figure this out when I have 15 minutes left on my workout. :sad2:

There's a man and his son on the treadmills. I take my place on the elliptical and get busy. My plan is to go 64 minutes on level 6. (I have a Lifefitness almost identical to the ones at Disney at home. This is my usual high output workout.) Guys stop walking soon after I arrive and go workout on the weights.

Then when I'm about 28 minutes into workout, they get up on the other elliptical machines at 0 resistance.

I pretty much ignored them and watched HLN on CC and suffered. 6 on THESE machines is comparable to an 8 or 9 on my machine at home. (But on the ones at Yacht club a 6 comparable to a 6 on my machine.:confused3 ) Guys are pumping it fast. Really fast. I'm wondering if they know they can turn up the resistance on these machines?

At any rate, as I expected, the father finally stumbles off at around 30 minutes of his time. The son sucks it up and stumbles off when I do. I did my 64 minutes, no more, no less. Mission accomplished.

Okay, now for my rant mode: I hate exercising in workout rooms at hotels when men are present. DH doesn't turn things into p***ing contests and the guys I join in exercise rooms who clearly workout in communal exercise rooms at least occasionally don't either, but then there are times like this. Some days I want a t-shirt that reads "I have used an elliptical or a treadmill 5 days a week for the past 4 years. My normal workout is just over an hour. Unless you do something similar, please stop trying to impress me or prove you're tougher than a 5'5" 40 year old DINK." :snooty:

For the record, I think father and son DO workout every day. And I am glad they have an activity together. Until they tried to out-macho me on the elliptical, I had great respect for them both.

And maybe I'm over reacting and they just wanted to try the elliptical. But I see this behavior over and over again in hotel communal exercise rooms and it invariably involves men who try to match me in some way on some fitness machine. It's irritating and if one of them keels over in a cardiac event some day, I take no responsibility for their lack of ability to judge the fact that while I have a tummy and cellulite, I also have the calves, thighs and rear of an elliptical bunny.

I told myself when they joined me on the elliptical. "Ignore them. Do your 64 and be happy." So I did, but it's awfully tempting sometimes to want to run guys into the ground and make them puke. . .

Okay, rant off. And maybe they really did just want to try the elliptical. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter