Exit strategy after MK fireworks NYE

Gehrig1B

DIS Veteran
We are staying at Wilderness Lodge. Any thoughts on the best strategy to return to the resort after late fireworks on NYE?

We plan to stay after and peruse the shops on Main Street to allow the crowds to exit. Should we just queu for the WL boat, wait for a bus, or maybe walk to Contemporary to catch a boat. Anyone experience this and have any suggestions?

We have always avoided MK and gone to Epcot or HS for NYE.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

So long as you're waiting for the crowd to clear out I'd just take the main WL ferry from the park.

Another thing you could do is catch some rides (the park will likely be open til 2am)

As of today park hours are 9:00am-12:00pm. Maybe they will extend but I'm OK with a midnight close if everyone will leave and allow is to linger for another 45-60 minutes and take a later boat to WL. We shall see...

Not sure you will be able to peruse the shops. many people will cut through them to exit and you might get swept away in the current. I would suggest moving further INTO the park. Go toward the back of the castle, get a drink from a kiosk and hang out for at least 45-60 min or until they usher you out. Enjoy where you are.

Not sure you will be able to peruse the shops. many people will cut through them to exit and you might get swept away in the current. I would suggest moving further INTO the park. Go toward the back of the castle, get a drink from a kiosk and hang out for at least 45-60 min or until they usher you out. Enjoy where you are.

Will these areas away from Main Street even be open if the official close stays at midnight? That is why we were thinking Main Street shopping.

We have a private Fireworks viewing area secured thanks to a Dessert Party reservation so will wait until the crowds thin out a little!

:rotfl:Tuck & roll... Seriously

We spent NYE @ Magic Kingdom in Dec 2010 it was AWESOME (like breathtaking, chill creating awesome) but insane trying to leave. I agree w/ Previous Posters - head AWAY from the exits and basically have them usher you out about 45 minutes later --- We made the mistake of trying to leave straight away - we FINALLY made it onto a bus ( they had buses @ MK to help take some of the load from Ferry & Monorail) and I remember looking up and seeing that the date, time etc was "ALL "1's" 1/1/2011 1:11am... I was like DARN! I wish I had my camera!!! Anyway, it really stood out at me and We basically didn't make any stops, we were in the Hub, up very close to the castle...the crowd was shuffling towards the exit ...

Leaving NYE right after the stroke of midnight gives the phrase a "sea of humanity" a very literal meaning. Almost everyone is trying to get towards the exits. The backlots are open for people, people cut through the shops. The buses take forever!

One tip for the buses: if you are staying at a resort with a sister resort, look towards their depot, as well. We stayed in Riverside on NYE 2014-15, and that line was super long. The line for French Quarter cleaned out much sooner than ours, and I should've skipped over to the other side.

Leaving NYE right after the stroke of midnight gives the phrase a "sea of humanity" a very literal meaning. Almost everyone is trying to get towards the exits. The backlots are open for people, people cut through the shops. The buses take forever!

One tip for the buses: if you are staying at a resort with a sister resort, look towards their depot, as well. We stayed in Riverside on NYE 2014-15, and that line was super long. The line for French Quarter cleaned out much sooner than ours, and I should've skipped over to the other side.

Thanks for mentioning that! Staying at Riverside the Christmas-NYE week, I'll have to remember this!

As of today park hours are 9:00am-12:00pm. Maybe they will extend but I'm OK with a midnight close if everyone will leave and allow is to linger for another 45-60 minutes and take a later boat to WL. We shall see...

Lines will still be massive 60 min after the park closes. It won't die down any until probably 2 hours after closing.

Whichever route you take I would avoid stepping anywhere near the monorails.

My first option would be a bus followed by boat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter