Expansions announced for both Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DiseySea

Corbisblue

DIS Veteran
OLC today has announced that there will be two expansions one at each park. Here is the full english press release. Along with some concept photos on the Official TDR Blog (Japanese Only). Here's the short version.

• Fantasyland Expansion
  • Expansion at Tokyo DisneySea south of Lost River Delta

From the concept art it looks like Fantasyland will be getting quite the make over. Nothing has been confirmed, but it looks like it's a small world may be moving near Space Mountain along with possibly a Frozen themed land. Toontown looks to be untouched.

There is not much known about the expansion at TDS but in the harbour they have some concept art on the official blog that show a moving stage and more seating.

They are putting 500 billion yen into everything they are doing at the resort. Which not only includes the expansions but other things (which is mentioned in the press release):

• Renovations or creation of attractions and entertainment
  • Hardware development to enhance Guest experience
  • Restaurant improvements
  • Easing of congestion
  • Measure to protect Guests from weather elements
  • Strengthening the “backstage”
  • Strengthening the hospitality level

This is quite the announcement. I am really excited for both the expansions. It'll be nice to see what they do with Fantasyland but I am really curious as to what is exactly going in TDS!

Hardware development = FP+ and Magicbands is my guess, but maybe they can get it right.

Hardware development = FP+ and Magicbands is my guess, but maybe they can get it right.

I highly doubt it, first because of the expense with lack of income. TDR visitors already spend tons of money on merchandise...plus I think most of TDR's visitors don't plan their trips months in advance, its more like DLR where it's a lot of locals who visit frequently

I highly doubt it, first because of the expense with lack of income. TDR visitors already spend tons of money on merchandise...plus I think most of TDR's visitors don't plan their trips months in advance, its more like DLR where it's a lot of locals who visit frequently

I didn't say it would follow the exact same mold of 60 days in advance, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see MagicBands arrive with people being able to get 3 day of FP upon entering the parks. But I think they might also allow people to add credit cards, even if not staying at a hotel, such as APs. Then set it up, where once their AP & credit card is linked, all they have to do is tap once to get their discount and pay. Hence my point that maybe they can get it right, as doing these kinds of things would make the system work well.

I didn't say it would follow the exact same mold of 60 days in advance, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see MagicBands arrive with people being able to get 3 day of FP upon entering the parks. But I think they might also allow people to add credit cards, even if not staying at a hotel, such as APs. Then set it up, where once their AP & credit card is linked, all they have to do is tap once to get their discount and pay. Hence my point that maybe they can get it right, as doing these kinds of things would make the system work well.

Credit cards are rarely used in Japan...its a very cash based society :)

I highly doubt they would do this. Allowing people to reserve FP ahead of time would make things more hectic than they already are. From my experience anything that is done ahead of time such as Hotel Reservations, Lottery sign ups, etc. Those go incredibly fast. Adding FP reservations might just make it frustrating for a lot of people.

I am just speaking from my experiences in the parks and my non-existent knowledge of the system in the US. They would make it work, who knows.

As for adding credit cards to a band, I doubt we would see that happen. As mentioned already it is a very cash based society, not a lot of people use them here. So I don't think there would be any benefit to them. I personally wouldn't add mine there because I would rather pay in cash.

Just as a side note, Annual Passport holders do not get any discounts in the parks. So adding it to a band, would not add any benefit.

I am very curious to see what they do, I could be totally wrong about all of this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter