• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expedition Everest Challenge 2014

dizneekrazee

Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time
Is anybody else planning the EE5k Challenge?

I just completed my first runDisney event, the DLR 10k. It was a blast!!:woohoo: I know I am not anywhere ready for a half (just yet), but I think the EE5k sounds like so much fun!! I have never been to WDW, although it is being planned for fall 2014. So for the event, it would just be me & my race partner (my 10 year old) coming out for the weekend.

If you have done this event before, any tips?

Thank you

Don't know about the EE5k but after reading your post this morning I started looking at the Disney Run site and somehow ended up signing up for the Neverland 5k in Disneyland Jan 17th :scared1: This will be my first 5k as an adult!

I workout 2-3 days a week so I'm in pretty good shape but my only running is on the treadmill at the gym, I ran cross country in high school 20 years ago so I figure I'm good. :rotfl2:

Before I signed up I ran a 1 mile test around my neighborhood and completed it in just over 9 minutes (and felt like I had more fuel in the tank at the end:banana:) so I feel pretty confidant with 4 months to train for the 3 miles distance.

It's amazing what opening a post on a message board can lead to! I still can't believe I signed up for a 5k spur of the moment but I'm excited I did.

Don't know about the EE5k but after reading your post this morning I started looking at the Disney Run site and somehow ended up signing up for the Neverland 5k in Disneyland Jan 17th :scared1: This will be my first 5k as an adult!

I workout 2-3 days a week so I'm in pretty good shape but my only running is on the treadmill at the gym, I ran cross country in high school 20 years ago so I figure I'm good. :rotfl2:

Before I signed up I ran a 1 mile test around my neighborhood and completed it in just over 9 minutes (and felt like I had more fuel in the tank at the end:banana:) so I feel pretty confidant with 4 months to train for the 3 miles distance.

It's amazing what opening a post on a message board can lead to! I still can't believe I signed up for a 5k spur of the moment but I'm excited I did.

You're going to have so much fun! Some of my co-workers are doing the 5k (and the 10k). I decided to skip out to save for the EE5k since it will cost quite a bit more for me to get to Florida. I am going to do the Dirty Girl 5k here in San Francisco in Feb to prepare as well. :banana:

I did this race back in 2011. It was so much fun. I just hope they do not get rid of this race.

I did this race back in 2011. It was so much fun. I just hope they do not get rid of this race.

They have dates listed for next year on the little program they gave out over the weekend at the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. May 2-3, 2014.

They have dates listed for next year on the little program they gave out over the weekend at the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. May 2-3, 2014.

That is good news and hilarious. I did my first Disney race this weekend (the 10k) and when we were at the RunDisney booth at the expo, DBF and I were eyeing the EE medal (so awesome) and when I looked at the date, I realized it was similar to our plans for 2014 (5/4/14). So I told him we could move our trip a couple of days and totally do it. VERY EXCITED. Although, I never noticed the dates were official on all the information in my packet. LOL

THANKS!

That is good news and hilarious. I did my first Disney race this weekend (the 10k) and when we were at the RunDisney booth at the expo, DBF and I were eyeing the EE medal (so awesome) and when I looked at the date, I realized it was similar to our plans for 2014 (5/4/14). So I told him we could move our trip a couple of days and totally do it. VERY EXCITED. Although, I never noticed the dates were official on all the information in my packet. LOL

THANKS!

I ran the 10k this weekend too!! My friends were in such a rush, wish I had time to look at the medals.

So happy to have confirmation of the dates, since I already started booking things for EE 2014!! Had a blast with my girlfriends, and we already have our shirts designed for next year! :grouphug:

THANKS!

I've done the Everest Challenge the past two years. It is a fun race. (Hot....like sauna hot...but still fun)

I would recommend doing this event, especially if your vacation plans are around it. I'm not sure that I would make it a run-cation though.

I've done the Everest Challenge the past two years. It is a fun race. (Hot....like sauna hot...but still fun)

I would recommend doing this event, especially if your vacation plans are around it. I'm not sure that I would make it a run-cation though.

DS and I have done this race the past two years in a row two. As a father son evening it's a lot of fun. I think the obstacles could be better, and would like it if the course didn't include quite so much paring lot and access road time. It's also really expensive for a 5k, but the time in AK after hours makes it worth it for us.

I went in 2012 and LOVED it! A few comments:

It is a HIKE from the parking/bus to the race start. You sound very fit, but for anyone else--build more distance into your training to accommodate the to/from.

It is more like a 10K (you may have already heard this) as you do the 5K, then go back into the park for the scavenger hunt. I doubt it is another 5K......LOADS of fun!!!

The line for checked bags at the end is very long--I waited over 30 min. If you don't *have* to check a bag, you should consider skipping this option.

It is a HIKE from the parking/bus to the race start. You sound very fit, but for anyone else--build more distance into your training to accommodate the to/from.

It is more like a 10K (you may have already heard this) as you do the 5K, then go back into the park for the scavenger hunt. I doubt it is another 5K......LOADS of fun!!!

The line for checked bags at the end is very long--I waited over 30 min. If you don't *have* to check a bag, you should consider skipping this option.

I obviously don't know very much about this event. So, the 5k itself is before the scavenger hunt? Where are the obstacles, in the 5k or during the scavenger hunt?

If I was to book a room at AKL, is it walkable to the start? How soon should I book before starts filling up? I just booked my DLR room yesterday, so I can't book 2 so closely.

THANKS!

Even though the dates are unlikely to change,I wouldn't guarantee those to be the dates,probably yes,but not 100%.For example, at the marathon weekend in January we were given these Run Disney booklets that showed all the Disney races and it had the ToT 10 miler listed for September 27-28 when it actually ended up being October 4-5.

The parking is like that at all Disney 5K's. I think they try to get you 'warmed up'. :lmao:

The bag check for this event takes far longer than bag check at a normal runDisney event because not only is it checking in your bag for the time you will be competing, but it is also checking your bag as if you were entering a park, because your bag will be waiting for you within Animal Kingdom. I totally second the "if you don't have to check a bag, don't" thought. If you're lucky you'll have a spectator that can bring stuff into the party with them.

I obviously don't know very much about this event. So, the 5k itself is before the scavenger hunt? Where are the obstacles, in the 5k or during the scavenger hunt?

If I was to book a room at AKL, is it walkable to the start? How soon should I book before starts filling up? I just booked my DLR room yesterday, so I can't book 2 so closely.

The historical set up is a 5K course, with obstacles around the mile points. After completing the race portion, you get your first clue and begin the scavenger hunt part. Which sort of takes you over the same course again....making it almost a 10K.

I would NOT walk from AKL to the start. The roadway out of AKL doesn't have sidewalks and could be quite dangerous, especially at night. Then you have to worry about traversing a bit of property to get to the start line. AKL was a host resort last year, so take the race transport.

My sister and I are doing the EE 5k in 2014! I'm really hoping the dates don't change because we're planning on going to WDW for 4 nights then flying to DL for 5. We're DVC so I only have a few weeks until I can book the Grand Californian, which fills up fast. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I have just started running in the last 6 months, but I have at least 2 planned before the EE. Worried about the heat though! I run on a treadmill in any bit of heat or humidity.

Waiting for registration to open up for this-- it will be at the tail end of our May vacation, which would be perfect! I look every few days and today mistakenly typed in 2013, saw registration was closed and almost had a heart attack-- until I realized that one is finished. Duh!

Waiting for registration to open up for this-- it will be at the tail end of our May vacation, which would be perfect! I look every few days and today mistakenly typed in 2013, saw registration was closed and almost had a heart attack-- until I realized that one is finished. Duh!

I would not expect registration to open any time soon. If I recall, the 2013 registration opened in January/February.

Even a little info would be nice--I did see the date on the volunteer's website. I just started running--if you can call what I do running -- in May. I just did my second 5k and came in dead last, but at least I got that experience out of the way! I'm working on improving my tortoise-like time by doing fartleks and hoping to get down to a rollicking 13 minute mile by May. I'm at 15, give or take, now.

Even a little info would be nice--I did see the date on the volunteer's website. I just started running--if you can call what I do running -- in May. I just did my second 5k and came in dead last, but at least I got that experience out of the way! I'm working on improving my tortoise-like time by doing fartleks and hoping to get down to a rollicking 13 minute mile by May. I'm at 15, give or take, now.

Sounds like you are progressing very well. I started exactly where you are and ran my first 5k 17 years ago listening to the Sherriff’s car just a couple feet behind me as I barely made it to the finish line.

All that we have comes from race programs for the DL half and ToT 10 where the May 2-3, 2014 date is listed. I visited with the race director’s folks at a local 5k a couple weeks ago and learned that a new weekend is definitely in the works... possibly as soon as 2014. No dates were discussed but it would not surprise me to see a longer race become the main event for this weekend. The reasoning in my mind would be Spring Break Weeks throughout March and most of April already bring in large crowds. This is really the first weekend that is out of a high volume week. It is also just a week or maybe two off of the tradition starting weekend of Star Wars Weekends. Rumors are wild that there will be a Start Wars half.

In the interim, sign up for email updates from the Mouse so you will get any updates as soon as they are announced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter