Experience upgrading rooms (at the port)

JimJoonie

Earning My Ears
I've got an upcoming cruise in February and have an inside room booked but recently noticed that they are now offering VGT rooms. I understand the policy is to cancel the first reservation (with penalties) and book a new reservation. Economically, that doesn't make sense. But I was curious if anyone has had experience upgrading rooms at the port prior to boarding... what was the cost, has anyone gotten a "free" upgrade, etc.

Once you check in, you will want to ask the CM where to go to inquire about upgrades. It is possible that they will not be offering any. If they are, they will use their pricing matrix and offer you a rate on the desired room. You can decide to accept it or not. The offer will not be a free upgrade.

We were just able to upgrade at Port Canaveral last Friday. After checking in downstairs they directed us upstairs to the last desk on the left. We had booked a VGT and had wanted a stateroom with the murphy bed. We were assigned a 5B and it cost us $110 to upgrade to a 4B or 4C. I believe they used the starting point of a 7A (the lowest veranda we could have been assigned) to calculate the price. We were so excited to be in the terminal that I didn’t think to pay close attention!

And keep in mind that you can't upgrade to a *GT room. Those offers are only available in advance.

And keep in mind that you can't upgrade to a *GT room. Those offers are only available in advance.

Does anyone know if the rate is based on the standard room rate or the lowest price offered? Sorry if I'm not making sense here. To help clarify here is what I'm trying to understand, the sailing has VGT verandah rooms available for $X and standard verandah rooms are at a higher $Y price. So would the Disney calculate the price based off the $X or $Y cost?

BTW, thank you all for the responses. This is really enlightening.

At Galveston in November on the Wonder, we were told no upgrades were available at the checkin desk and we were told to ask at Guest Services, we did that and then we were told we would have to wait and see what happened with everyone boarding. Eventually we were told nothing was available.

Does anyone know if the rate is based on the standard room rate or the lowest price offered? Sorry if I'm not making sense here. To help clarify here is what I'm trying to understand, the sailing has VGT verandah rooms available for $X and standard verandah rooms are at a higher $Y price. So would the Disney calculate the price based off the $X or $Y cost?

The pricing for upgrades at the port is based on a matrix comparing current room types to upgraded room types. That is, for a given cruise, everyone who booked room type A (regardless of which room they were assigned) who moves to room type B would pay the same upgrade cost. Someone who booked a less expensive room type would pay a higher upgrade cost. These upgrade costs do not appear to directly correlate to the current selling prices of the rooms. They are usually less than the cost to upgrade before boarding day, but not always.

Based off of $x what you paid.

For example:
If you book a VGT (restricted fare) and are assigned, say, a 4A, and you want to upgrade at the port, your starting cost is figured at the lowest cost for a Verandah room (a 7A), regardless that you actually received a higher category assignment.

Based off of $x what you paid.
I actually don’t believe that it is off of what you actually paid but rather it is off the category for which you were booked. We booked a VGT rate, and the upgrade was calculated off of the lowest veranda category that we could have been assigned (7a) regardless of the fact that we were assigned a 5B. Hope that makes sense…

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a shot in a month (assuming we get cleared to go). And will post what happened.

So a quick update. I noticed that we got moved from the inside room to an oceanview room without notice. Planning on asking about upgrading to a verandah at the port. *fingers crossed*🤞

So a quick update. I noticed that we got moved from the inside room to an oceanview room without notice. Planning on asking about upgrading to a verandah at the port. *fingers crossed*🤞
Just be aware your upgrade cost will be calculated based on the interior room you booked and not the oceanview you were assigned.

Were you on deck 2 originally because there are reports that these are being used for Corvid quarantine cabins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter