• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Experience with NY quarantine form and follow-up

We thought it was kind of weird too, but we just filled out the forms with minimal info like he said. I'm not sure how well this is all working out with the National Guard being at the airports - I suppose they can reevaluate after maybe 3-4 weeks of doing things this way and see what the results are. Day 8 of being home and still no calls/texts. We've all had negative rapid tests so maybe they have access to that info.
The National Guard started handling this around the end of October. My guess is that they are "spot checking" or taking a random sample of people to check in with. Maybe based on zip code or how many were on their flight or maybe even truly random. I don't think this process is sophisticated enough for them to be cross-referencing these manually completed forms with testing databases or passenger manifests. I don't think the technology or operational expense would be spent on this.

Reactions: TJA
I just wanted to add my experience with the NY quarantine and follow-up. I am a little late to this and my trip was actually to Puerto Rico, not Florida, but the experience coming home is still relevant.

We flew home from San Juan to JFK on November 27th (we took a rapid test in PR on the 25th which was negative). We filled out the quarantine form online before we landed. The National Guard was at the gate when we arrived, but they did not ask to see our negative Covid test result, but were handing out the form for people who didn't fill it out online.

I received text messages about every other day just asking me to confirm we were quarantining etc. The text message does not include the fact that if your second covid test is negative you can exit quarantine. Seems like their system does not differentiate between who did or didn't take the test.

On November 30th, we actually had someone knock on our door (we live in Astoria, Queens) to confirm we were following the quarantine. He asked if we left our house, to which I said only to get my covid test (which I actually got that morning as it was our 4th day back). He explained the procedure that if the test is negative we can end our quarantine (he never asked to see our first test). I asked him if I needed to tell someone once my second test came back, which he said no. This part is a little weird because in theory they could show up to your door after you already tested out of the quarantine and you could potentially not be home.

It doesn't seem NY really has a way to track when you take your second test, so I just recommend you hold on to the results so that if someone does actually knock on your door looking for you, you can later show proof that you followed the guidelines.

I was honestly quite shocked when someone knocked on my door as I had only previously heard of people getting phone calls, but the man was very nice. After this in-person visit, I only received the standard text messages.

I am planning a Disney trip in March and plan to follow the same testing guidelines providing nothing changes from now to then.

Has anyone had recent experience with getting tests at Disney before flying back home to NY?

TPA airport already has testing available.

I just wanted to add my experience with the NY quarantine and follow-up. I am a little late to this and my trip was actually to Puerto Rico, not Florida, but the experience coming home is still relevant.

We flew home from San Juan to JFK on November 27th (we took a rapid test in PR on the 25th which was negative). We filled out the quarantine form online before we landed. The National Guard was at the gate when we arrived, but they did not ask to see our negative Covid test result, but were handing out the form for people who didn't fill it out online.

I received text messages about every other day just asking me to confirm we were quarantining etc. The text message does not include the fact that if your second covid test is negative you can exit quarantine. Seems like their system does not differentiate between who did or didn't take the test.

On November 30th, we actually had someone knock on our door (we live in Astoria, Queens) to confirm we were following the quarantine. He asked if we left our house, to which I said only to get my covid test (which I actually got that morning as it was our 4th day back). He explained the procedure that if the test is negative we can end our quarantine (he never asked to see our first test). I asked him if I needed to tell someone once my second test came back, which he said no. This part is a little weird because in theory they could show up to your door after you already tested out of the quarantine and you could potentially not be home.

It doesn't seem NY really has a way to track when you take your second test, so I just recommend you hold on to the results so that if someone does actually knock on your door looking for you, you can later show proof that you followed the guidelines.

I was honestly quite shocked when someone knocked on my door as I had only previously heard of people getting phone calls, but the man was very nice. After this in-person visit, I only received the standard text messages.

I am planning a Disney trip in March and plan to follow the same testing guidelines providing nothing changes from now to then.

Has anyone had recent experience with getting tests at Disney before flying back home to NY?
Brittany-
How was finding rapid testing in NY on day 4? I am having trouble finding rapid testing in upstate NY without symptoms.

TPA airport already has testing available.

Brittany-
How was finding rapid testing in NY on day 4? I am having trouble finding rapid testing in upstate NY without symptoms.
I did a lot of research to find a place. I know the City MDs do them for free but it’s walk-in only and the lines around Thanksgiving were sometimes 4 hours long-not sure what they are like now. I eventually found a healthcare provider called YAI, which actually is an organization for people with disabilities, but they are offering free covid testing with insurance to anyone. I made my appointment before I even left for my trip about 1 1/2 weeks before.

Before I went to PR I had to get a PCR test to follow their guidelines and I went to a place called Medical Offices of Manhattan and I got my PCR results back in 24 hours. They also had a rapid test, but I would have had to pay $85 for it.

My parents live outside of the city and I know they got tested at Rite Aid in the past, I want to say they got their test results back the same day or the next day.

I think the NYC state website has a map where you can search for test locations near you and I just spent a lot of time going down the list and calling the places.

I did a lot of research to find a place. I know the City MDs do them for free but it’s walk-in only and the lines around Thanksgiving were sometimes 4 hours long-not sure what they are like now. I eventually found a healthcare provider called YAI, which actually is an organization for people with disabilities, but they are offering free covid testing with insurance to anyone. I made my appointment before I even left for my trip about 1 1/2 weeks before.

Before I went to PR I had to get a PCR test to follow their guidelines and I went to a place called Medical Offices of Manhattan and I got my PCR results back in 24 hours. They also had a rapid test, but I would have had to pay $85 for it.

My parents live outside of the city and I know they got tested at Rite Aid in the past, I want to say they got their test results back the same day or the next day.

I think the NYC state website has a map where you can search for test locations near you and I just spent a lot of time going down the list and calling the places.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/coronavirus/get-tested/covid-19-testing.page

I think the premise has always been that the testing to get out of quarantine would be on the honor system, and that you'd only have to produce the negative test results if you were asked for them. In other words, they are not validating the negative results for every person, but only in instances where they apparently are sampling some travelers to check.

Also, to the point about how they could show up when you're not home if you exit quarantine after receiving negative results, I wonder if they try to get someone to the house within that 3 day range upon returning home since everyone is required to be in quarantine during that time. Or, if you're not home, perhaps you're required to provide the negative results in that case. Either way, its definitely random how they are tracking and following up with people. I'm certain they don't have the resources to do this with everyone, so they are spot checking or randomly choosing people to do this with. I know some who got the automated texts, some who had people at their doors, but for us in November (we live in Buffalo), we never got a text, call, knock, or anything.

We returned on Tuesday 12/15, landing in Buffalo. We'd had our tests on Sunday AM, negative, and were directed to fill out the form by the National Guard upon exiting the airport. We were told just name, address, phone number, and note if we were essential.

I filled out one, my husband did a separate form for him and our son. He listed himself as essential (he says the state considers him essential, I say he's stretching the rules a bit but that's another story). No request for our test results, just a check box asking if you'd had a negative test.

Today, Friday, I first got a text asking me to confirm my negative test, but every time I clicked verify it said my info didn't match (I have no idea why, that's my name, that's my birthday, that's my number...I assume scanning the docs makes for spelling errors). Two hours later I got another text asking about my symptoms, simple yes or no response.

Spouse has had no texts.

We are scheduled for our next test on Saturday.

I think the premise has always been that the testing to get out of quarantine would be on the honor system, and that you'd only have to produce the negative test results if you were asked for them. In other words, they are not validating the negative results for every person, but only in instances where they apparently are sampling some travelers to check.

Also, to the point about how they could show up when you're not home if you exit quarantine after receiving negative results, I wonder if they try to get someone to the house within that 3 day range upon returning home since everyone is required to be in quarantine during that time. Or, if you're not home, perhaps you're required to provide the negative results in that case. Either way, its definitely random how they are tracking and following up with people. I'm certain they don't have the resources to do this with everyone, so they are spot checking or randomly choosing people to do this with. I know some who got the automated texts, some who had people at their doors, but for us in November (we live in Buffalo), we never got a text, call, knock, or anything.

Yes I definitely agree that it is random! I think most people won't receive an in-person visit, but you have to be prepared just in case you do. Even the frequency of text messages and what they say seem to differ from person to person.

We returned on Tuesday 12/15, landing in Buffalo. We'd had our tests on Sunday AM, negative, and were directed to fill out the form by the National Guard upon exiting the airport. We were told just name, address, phone number, and note if we were essential.

I filled out one, my husband did a separate form for him and our son. He listed himself as essential (he says the state considers him essential, I say he's stretching the rules a bit but that's another story). No request for our test results, just a check box asking if you'd had a negative test.

Today, Friday, I first got a text asking me to confirm my negative test, but every time I clicked verify it said my info didn't match (I have no idea why, that's my name, that's my birthday, that's my number...I assume scanning the docs makes for spelling errors). Two hours later I got another text asking about my symptoms, simple yes or no response.

Spouse has had no texts.

We are scheduled for our next test on Saturday.

LOL at your husband, reminds me of conversations I've had with my fiancé who also is essential. The list of essential employees is quite long, and I actually think I could be considered essential as well- it definitely covers a lot of industries that people might not realize.

Where did you get your test in Florida?

I would also be very curious as to what happens if no one answers the door. We generally do not answer our door if we're not expecting anyone, and I can't imagine there's really anything they can do if someone just doesn't answer their door. Seems to kinda be just a perception thing, in terms of the logic/thoroughness of home visits.

Yes I definitely agree that it is random! I think most people won't receive an in-person visit, but you have to be prepared just in case you do. Even the frequency of text messages and what they say seem to differ from person to person.

LOL at your husband, reminds me of conversations I've had with my fiancé who also is essential. The list of essential employees is quite long, and I actually think I could be considered essential as well- it definitely covers a lot of industries that people might not realize.

Where did you get your test in Florida?
Maingate location

I would also be very curious as to what happens if no one answers the door. We generally do not answer our door if we're not expecting anyone, and I can't imagine there's really anything they can do if someone just doesn't answer their door. Seems to kinda be just a perception thing, in terms of the logic/thoroughness of home visits.

I never answer the door either unless I look through my ring camera to see who it is. Do they call to say they are at the door? I'm going to Disney next week and will quarantine when I get home but don't want them to think I'm not home.

I never answer the door either unless I look through my ring camera to see who it is. Do they call to say they are at the door? I'm going to Disney next week and will quarantine when I get home but don't want them to think I'm not home.
They did not call. I live in an apartment building and through the peep hole my fiancé saw he was wearing a NY work ID lanyard so we were able to tell that way before we opened. So I imagine if they did an in-person visit to your home, you would also be able to see the lanyard through the ring camera.

Got a covid test Thursday at Disney Maingate location. Filled in the NYS form online Friday and flew to Albany, NY Saturday and showed the Guardsman my email confirming I had done the online form and was waved through. I have a covid test scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday. Orlando International was very busy. If negative, I'm free to wander about on Saturday 12/26.

I just want to thanks for everyone adding their experiences because it realy does help people understand the process and some of the helpful hints of testing. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Got a covid test Thursday at Disney Maingate location. Filled in the NYS form online Friday and flew to Albany, NY Saturday and showed the Guardsman my email confirming I had done the online form and was waved through. I have a covid test scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday. Orlando International was very busy. If negative, I'm free to wander about on Saturday 12/26.
DVC Don- If you fly in on a Saturday, can you test on a Tuesday? (I ask because I'm flying in on a Wednesday and plan to test on Sunday) Did you find a rapid test site upstate?

I fly in on Sunday, January 3rd, and leave on Wednesday, January 6th. I was planning on getting tested on that Sunday because that would be less than 72 hours prior to landing in New York. Is that okay or do I have to get tested after the 3rd?

I fly in on Sunday, January 3rd, and leave on Wednesday, January 6th. I was planning on getting tested on that Sunday because that would be less than 72 hours prior to landing in New York. Is that okay or do I have to get tested after the 3rd?
As long as it’s less than 72 hours before landing in NY, you’re fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter