Experienced with DLR in the fall, now help with what might be different this time around please :)

AndrewC

DIS Veteran
So I’m pretty experienced with doing Disneyland/DCA in the fall, but I’ve been almost religious with my dates. Basically since 2015 (minus COVID closure & minus last year, serious family health issues) I’ve done about a week down there but always between Oct 20th and 30th.

This year I was surprised by a couple buddies at work that sort of “beat me to the punch” with starting the preliminary planning. A group of four or five (plus whatever significant others) had already been talking about it (based on my feedback/yearly jaunt) and were focusing on late September when they invited me. The best nudging I could do got them to Oct 8th - 13th (and I’ll likely tag on a couple days at the start or end of that, based on your advice.)

My big question(s) is, is there anything different between these parts of October?
I know Halloween will be in full swing so I don’t expect any changes there.

1. But I also know some school districts in the surrounding states have fall breaks, would this early October range fall into those?

2. In general does there tend to be a difference in crowds early October vs late October (close to Halloween)?

3. Historically is it more likely on property hotel deals fall into that range? Or is that the beautiful in-between range that almost never sees discounts?

4. I’m absurd, but is there a weather difference? I know my late October history has been absolutely beautiful temperatures and I’m just wondering if I need to be ready for +5 or even +10 degrees compared to the week leading up to Halloween.

I feel stupid asking you guys this, but I’m such a planner and when I find something that just seems to fit perfectly I hate change so much. So badly that for a moment I debated telling them I might not be able to make it (and secretly thinking about going my normal time a couple weeks later)!

Thanks guys!!

Edit: Also, likely to stay at Grand Californian with a night to two at DLH *heart*. Also also, I will say that my Magic Key expires Oct 16th… so that actually kinda works perfectly, but still I love my late Oct, lol

Last edited:
I don’t have many answers to your questions, but the one I can answer is that Arizona schools will have the fall break in the first or second week of October. Just depends on the school district as to which week they will have break.

I mean, ALL of October is crazy, but I'm afraid I have the bad news that that week WILL be worse than the week you usually go. So, be prepared for that. TONS of school breaks and the parks get very busy.

Weather wise, October is always a wild card. It's often pretty mild, temps in the upper 70s to low 80s, BUT October is also Santa Ana season and sometimes you get a heat wave, high (hot) winds, and VERY dry, fire danger weather. The worst wildfires in So Cal are always in October. Sometimes these affect Disneyland with smoke and ash in the air. So, you do have to keep this in mind. Hopefully our fire season won't be bad this year due to the rains keeping the vegetation from being so dry.

I think you won't notice any major differences. It certainly wouldn't be something I'd turn down, but with that said, have you traveled to the parks outside of Ocober at all in the past? If not, you definitely should try it. October is ROUGH in the parks. Every other month is more enjoyable, IMO.

Last edited:
Schools in Utah are also on some kind of break during October as well, not that this is a problem of course. We've noticed this when visiting DL and the Anaheim area during October. But the families from Utah are a friendly bunch :)

Indigenous Peoples’ Day/Columbus Day is Oct 9th so that week will be worst than most since most schools if they do have fall break will have it that week.

The fall on property hotel discount usual starts the week or two weeks after that holiday.

I agree with the others, that week in particular is rough. We did it once and the crowds were insane coupled with high temps. Granted, that was before covid so who knows if it still holds but I would push it back a week if possible.

For the hotel discounts - yes and no. Good news is that you will will probably see a discount for October, bad news is that the hotel will be completely booked up. If you wait to book until a discount comes out, you will more than likely not get an on-property room (heck, even hotels on Harbor usually book up quickly). But, if you do book a room and a discount comes out, they will not be able to honor the price if there is no other room to rebook at the new rate. I would be prepared to pay rack rates and just get something on the books.

I would be prepared for higher temps, then what feels like freezing temps when the sun drops. We are from a colder climate and still bring our big jackets and warm stuff for night because of the humidity. Shorts and tank tops in the day, UGG boots and heavy socks at night haha

Last edited:
Dang…. I forgot about Columbus Day…

The temps worry me a little, I mean ultimately it’ll be fine if it’s a little warm, but I’m just so used to getting lucky and it being what I consider perfect. I can’t 100% remember, but I feel like previous years I start watching the temps early October and get a little nervous that they’re still in the slightly uncomfortable range, like 90s in the day. But each year I’ve got the last week in October they’ve been mainly mid to high 70s until around noon and then maybe low to mid 80s until around 3pm when they start dropping again. MAYBE one or two days reach just 90 degrees by like 2:30 and then start to drop again. That high 70s low 80s is absolutely perfect weather! Getting to 90 is just a little uncomfortable (boy I really sound whiny to all the summer visitors, lol)

The last time I visited Disney outside of fall was… like 20 years ago? This all started with me wanting to do the Halloween events down there (Halloween Horror Nights at Universal and Knott’s Scary Farm), so that’s why the big target on the fall. I just sort of have anchored the trip around Disney because that’s a nice multi day thing and totally worth it if I’m in the area anyway. My work buddies want to do the Halloween stuff, but also do Disney since it’s the major attraction there (also figuring the girlfriends/wives in their life probably are more interested in the Disney part of the trip).

I’ll absolutely get something booked with the Grand and DLH to be safe… I just couldn’t remember when fall promos usually started. I’ve been lucky in prior years being able to rebook a promo room during my 20th-30th time frame, but it probably helps that I’m often there on week days and that sounds like it’s after school breaks. Also, can’t remember if most the time the fall promo started like ~Oct 15th and the late summer one ended in September. I feel like there is usually a couple weeks gap between the two, but I really can’t remember….

Also, and I do NOT mean to make this political or get my post locked or deleted, so please keep it factual and respectful.

Has anyone been recently and do you still see anyone with masks on? I’ll likely still want to have a mask on during that time. (I went in 2021 with an N95 the entire time so I know the comfort toll & am ready for that & navigate booking dining mainly outside, etc)

My reasons are a little different since I have a very close family member that I’m around a significant amount of time that has been doing intensive treatments for leukemia and I don’t know if she’ll be still in the midst of it all during that time. If so, that leaves her extremely immunocompromised and I just don’t want to being even a normal cold back into the house which might land her in the hospital or kill her. I’ve still been masking at work and in the public, I have zero expectations for others to be doing so… but I feel like I stand out now. Every time I see one or two other people in public I feel much more “normal,” so I’m wondering if it’s completely gone from SoCal/Disney/Universal, or if people still usually see some individuals every now and then?

Just need to be mentally ready to be the “weird one” or not, lol

Also, and I do NOT mean to make this political or get my post locked or deleted, so please keep it factual and respectful.

Has anyone been recently and do you still see anyone with masks on? I’ll likely still want to have a mask on during that time. (I went in 2021 with an N95 the entire time so I know the comfort toll & am ready for that & navigate booking dining mainly outside, etc)

My reasons are a little different since I have a very close family member that I’m around a significant amount of time that has been doing intensive treatments for leukemia and I don’t know if she’ll be still in the midst of it all during that time. If so, that leaves her extremely immunocompromised and I just don’t want to being even a normal cold back into the house which might land her in the hospital or kill her. I’ve still been masking at work and in the public, I have zero expectations for others to be doing so… but I feel like I stand out now. Every time I see one or two other people in public I feel much more “normal,” so I’m wondering if it’s completely gone from SoCal/Disney/Universal, or if people still usually see some individuals every now and then?

Plenty of people and cast members still in masks, and no one bats an eye.

We are Keyholders and we still wear masks on indoor attractions and indoor lines. We are usually not the only ones in masks…

You will certainly not be weird to wear one. Though there are not many that wear them for an extended period of time anymore, I think the stigma has gone away since COVID. If people have an issue with it than it's on them not you. I don't think anyone would even give you a second glance, though, especially at Disneyland.

The only thing I'm thinking of is the heat. I remember how hard it was to breathe with them when it got super hot, so you may have to take more frequent breaks to take it off and get air away from others. But, if you've already gone in October and experienced the 80-90 weather days and were fine with it then you'll probably be good to go!

You will certainly not be weird to wear one. Though there are not many that wear them for an extended period of time anymore, I think the stigma has gone away since COVID. If people have an issue with it than it's on them not you. I don't think anyone would even give you a second glance, though, especially at Disneyland.

The only thing I'm thinking of is the heat. I remember how hard it was to breathe with them when it got super hot, so you may have to take more frequent breaks to take it off and get air away from others. But, if you've already gone in October and experienced the 80-90 weather days and were fine with it then you'll probably be good to go!
I don’t have kids so I totally do Disney properly as an adult… couple attractions, nice outdoor sit down lunch, couple more, take a break for awhile with a drink and people watch, a few more, sit down dinner, etc etc, lol

After digging around the internet I do however think I’m screwed on the room promos… they do all seem to have started Oct 16 to 20th so likely the week AFTER this trip and that’s why I always got lucky and they *just* started before my late October dates…

Rack rates hurt so much, lol

I have been 3 times in early to mid October, and every time it's been over 100 degrees. It never got cool at all. Just a warning, every time it was a 'freak event' - suspect it's just normal now.

We live locally and go to the parks at least once a week. We wear masks (KF94) the majority of the time. We always wear masks in lines, on rides, indoors and if we are in crowded areas (ex. Fantasyland, waiting for shows). We are not the only guests wearing masks but we are definitely in the minority. A larger percentage of cast members have masks on. I've never felt uncomfortable wearing a mask at the parks. Do what is right for you and enjoy your vacation.

So I’m pretty experienced with doing Disneyland/DCA in the fall, but I’ve been almost religious with my dates. Basically since 2015 (minus COVID closure & minus last year, serious family health issues) I’ve done about a week down there but always between Oct 20th and 30th.

This year I was surprised by a couple buddies at work that sort of “beat me to the punch” with starting the preliminary planning. A group of four or five (plus whatever significant others) had already been talking about it (based on my feedback/yearly jaunt) and were focusing on late September when they invited me. The best nudging I could do got them to Oct 8th - 13th (and I’ll likely tag on a couple days at the start or end of that, based on your advice.)

My big question(s) is, is there anything different between these parts of October?
I know Halloween will be in full swing so I don’t expect any changes there.

1. But I also know some school districts in the surrounding states have fall breaks, would this early October range fall into those?

2. In general does there tend to be a difference in crowds early October vs late October (close to Halloween)?

3. Historically is it more likely on property hotel deals fall into that range? Or is that the beautiful in-between range that almost never sees discounts?

4. I’m absurd, but is there a weather difference? I know my late October history has been absolutely beautiful temperatures and I’m just wondering if I need to be ready for +5 or even +10 degrees compared to the week leading up to Halloween.

I feel stupid asking you guys this, but I’m such a planner and when I find something that just seems to fit perfectly I hate change so much. So badly that for a moment I debated telling them I might not be able to make it (and secretly thinking about going my normal time a couple weeks later)!

Thanks guys!!

Edit: Also, likely to stay at Grand Californian with a night to two at DLH *heart*. Also also, I will say that my Magic Key expires Oct 16th… so that actually kinda works perfectly, but still I love my late Oct, lol
I would go with late September rather than that week in October.

We were there last month and wore masks indoors as well as in crowded queues. We were definitely the minority but we weren't the only ones. I'm immunosupressed and when we went last June I caught covid so we were extra careful this time and made it home without any illnesses.

We’re locals and go a ton- you don’t see many masks, but you do see them among cast members mostly, and some guests. No one will give you a hard time- you will definitely be in the minority but no one will hassle you or even look twice. My husband still wears one inside- he wore one yesterday in fact.

Dang…. I forgot about Columbus Day…

The temps worry me a little, I mean ultimately it’ll be fine if it’s a little warm, but I’m just so used to getting lucky and it being what I consider perfect. I can’t 100% remember, but I feel like previous years I start watching the temps early October and get a little nervous that they’re still in the slightly uncomfortable range, like 90s in the day. But each year I’ve got the last week in October they’ve been mainly mid to high 70s until around noon and then maybe low to mid 80s until around 3pm when they start dropping again. MAYBE one or two days reach just 90 degrees by like 2:30 and then start to drop again. That high 70s low 80s is absolutely perfect weather! Getting to 90 is just a little uncomfortable (boy I really sound whiny to all the summer visitors, lol)

The last time I visited Disney outside of fall was… like 20 years ago? This all started with me wanting to do the Halloween events down there (Halloween Horror Nights at Universal and Knott’s Scary Farm), so that’s why the big target on the fall. I just sort of have anchored the trip around Disney because that’s a nice multi day thing and totally worth it if I’m in the area anyway. My work buddies want to do the Halloween stuff, but also do Disney since it’s the major attraction there (also figuring the girlfriends/wives in their life probably are more interested in the Disney part of the trip).

I’ll absolutely get something booked with the Grand and DLH to be safe… I just couldn’t remember when fall promos usually started. I’ve been lucky in prior years being able to rebook a promo room during my 20th-30th time frame, but it probably helps that I’m often there on week days and that sounds like it’s after school breaks. Also, can’t remember if most the time the fall promo started like ~Oct 15th and the late summer one ended in September. I feel like there is usually a couple weeks gap between the two, but I really can’t remember….

It’s going to be crowded. Very, very crowded. 2022 the crowds were noticeable better the last week in October than early October. We went on Columbus Day 2019 and I said never again. You just need to be prepared for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter