Explain it to me like I'm 5 - Lyft/Uber at WDW

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
I've never in my life used Lyft or Uber. I get the general concept (use the app to find a ride from point A to B, payment via app, rate the driver) but what I don't know is how do I recognize the car picking me up? Also where are the Lyft/Uber pick up points at each park?

Most importantly, I'd need a booster seat for my DD6 - can I request a booster and if so, how?

We are a party of 3 (2 adults, 1 kid).

I hope not to need a ride at all, but I'd like to have this in my back pocket in case we need to get somewhere in a hurry or the buses are ridiculous.

I already have Lyft set up on my phone (added credit card - the whole thing). Should I also get Uber?

Final note - can't use Minnie Vans as we are staying at the Dolphin and that's not part of the program at this time.

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Last edited:
Not sure of your questions, have you gone to their web sites and looked it up? I know they offer booster seats but not all cars. You can watch the car on your phone (map) as it drives toward your location. That's how I figured it out which car. It was the only one that pulled up and matched the map.

There are no booster seats. Uber alone offers a forward-facing child safety seat for an additional charge. I believe the seats are rated for children up to 60 lbs., but you'll have to judge whether a car seat is appropriate for your child. Only a small percentage of drivers have car seats, so availability is limited and you will probably have to wait 5 or 10 minutes longer. If you prefer a booster seat, there are inflatable boosters available at Amazon, Target, and BB&B that you can buy and bring on your trip (e.g. BubbleBum.)

Current pick-up locations (they change from time to time):
  • Epcot: at the electric vehicle charging station, in the corner of the parking lot on the left side of the tram lane as you exit the park.
  • AK: in the corner of the Handicapped Parking nearest the park entrance, to the left of the trams as you exit, or behind the taxis in the same area (I've seen drivers pick up in both locations recently.)
  • DHS: at the taxi stand (ask for directions).
  • MK: no pickup at the park; you can go to the TTC via monorail or ferryboat, or walk to CR. At TTC, pickup is in the bus lot, along the fence nearest the monorails.
  • DS: 2 locations:
    • The Lynx & charter bus loop behind Cirque du Soleil on the West Side, and
    • The old resort bus loop behind Disney's Days of Christmas store at the Marketplace.
The app will give you the make and license plate of the assigned car, and the driver's name. When you see a matching car in the pick-up area, ask the driver their name.

It's a good idea to have both apps on your phone and ready to go. At times, you may find a shorter wait on one over the other, and fares can vary if one is surging more than the other. If you want to request a car seat, you will need Uber.

Don't request a ride until you are at or within a couple of minutes of the pick-up location. If the driver arrives before you, they are only required to wait 5 minutes, after which you can be assessed a no-show charge.

Last edited:
Under Florida law car seats are only required for children younger than 6. So if your DD is actually 6, you are not required to have one. If you want one anyway, I would get something like a Bubble Bum and then you won't have to worry about ordering a special car...which may not be available.

Definitely put the Uber app on your phone, as Joel said.

In addition to rating the driver, you can now tip in the app (on your credit card), or you can tip in cash. Tips are not included in the fare, are not required, but are greatly appreciated.

Also, you should know that on both companies' rating systems 5 Stars is an A, but 4 Stars is an F. If a driver maintains a rating of 4.6 or below for any length of time (a 92% and an A in school), they are terminated because of their low rating. You should not rate less than 5 stars unless there was something really wrong with the ride.

In identifying your driver, you will also have a picture of the driver. Uber requires us to update our photos periodically, so that's a good protection for the rider.

Also, as Joel said, ask the driver their name. Do NOT ask, "Are you Joel?" Ask, "What is your name, please?"

The other suggestion I always give new riders is "toes to the curb." In other words, do not order your ride until you are fully ready to get into the car. If you order early and are not ready, you could get charged a cancellation fee. Depending on where you are, your pickup could be very quick and will rarely be longer than 5 minutes. I often get pickups at exactly the spot where I am dropping off other riders, and people are startled by how quickly I showed up. (I was pulling in when they ordered the ride!)

You will have the make, model, and license plate number of your assigned car.

You will also have the option to call the driver (and vice versa, the driver may call you) if there is any confusion during pick up. Stand where you want the car to pick you up, order the ride, and don't move until it arrives.

Thank you for the tips everyone! I feel like the last person in the US that hasn't used ride sharing at least once and a total dunce for having to ask for help.

Too bad about the booster, I figured they be easier to get than cars with a true child seat, since boosters don't have to be installed like car seats do - but it seems I was wrong. But thanks for the suggestion on the inflatable one, I'll look into that.

Too bad about the booster, I figured they be easier to get than cars with a true child seat, since boosters don't have to be installed like car seats do - but it seems I was wrong. But thanks for the suggestion on the inflatable one, I'll look into that.
When I'm driving, I do carry a cheap booster in the trunk. They're only about $10 at Walmart, and I have the option of carrying a small child safely rather than turning away a customer. But I may be the only one; parents have always been surprised when I've offered it.

You will have the make, model, and license plate number of your assigned car.

You will also have the option to call the driver (and vice versa, the driver may call you) if there is any confusion during pick up. Stand where you want the car to pick you up, order the ride, and don't move until it arrives.
KEY advice right there. Please don't move!

As far as contacting the driver, that is not usually necessary unless you want to give them an entry code for a gated community or something they REALLY need to get to you. You will be able to see the driver coming toward you on your app, so there is no need really to ask if we're coming...:rolleyes:.

This is a matter of personal preference, but if you're using Uber I'd personally prefer a text to a phone call. Much less disruptive for the driver, but don't expect an immediate text answer, of course! With Lyft, you can only call the driver -- no text capability -- and if I'm in heavy traffic or completing another ride before I pick you up, I won't answer.

For Lyft, some drivers have a colored coded light on their dashboard. If your driver happens to have this light, there will be the same color identifier on your app as an additional way to make sure you are going to the right car. This is nice if you are in a popular pick up location, to help identify your driver as they approach.

For Lyft, some drivers have a colored coded light on their dashboard. If your driver happens to have this light, there will be the same color identifier on your app as an additional way to make sure you are going to the right car. This is nice if you are in a popular pick up location, to help identify your driver as they approach.
They're not currently available to Orlando drivers, and where they are available, you'd pretty much have to be driving full-time exclusively for Lyft for a couple of years to qualify. If you happen to see one, either the driver moved from an area where they are available or got one thru some promotion or test program.

They're not currently available to Orlando drivers, and where they are available, you'd pretty much have to be driving full-time exclusively for Lyft for a couple of years to qualify. If you happen to see one, either the driver moved from an area where they are available or got one thru some promotion or test program.

Ha, the more you know. This was a pick up at Animal Kingdom, so he probably moved from another location. I was curious as to why more drivers did not have them. Thanks for the info.

This is great info, as I am another person who has never used a ride-sharing service.

May I ask a question of the drivers? I’m coming from the UK, so my number would be international for the driver to call or text. I assume they wouldn’t want to incur that cost (understandably), so if there was a problem and they would usually call, but can’t call me, what would happen?

This is great info, as I am another person who has never used a ride-sharing service.

May I ask a question of the drivers? I’m coming from the UK, so my number would be international for the driver to call or text. I assume they wouldn’t want to incur that cost (understandably), so if there was a problem and they would usually call, but can’t call me, what would happen?
That's not a problem for drivers as long as you have cell coverage in the Colonies. And you'll also need DATA to use the app.

All calls between driver and rider (both ways) are routed through Uber or Lyft, so the call will not cost the driver a penny. We get a call from a US number. Same with texts on Uber.

The purpose of that routing is so that neither the rider nor driver has the other party's actual telephone number. Important privacy protection both ways.

Last edited:
Ha, the more you know. This was a pick up at Animal Kingdom, so he probably moved from another location. I was curious as to why more drivers did not have them. Thanks for the info.
I noticed one at AK about a month ago, too -- probably the same guy.

Had no idea. I've seen a few when we have been in FL, but not many. I wondered why.

I tend to use Uber/Lyft with my friend. We both have the apps on our phones, so it's a toss up as to who is booking the ride. But, one of us routinely goes behind the car to check the plate number before getting into the car. It sure would be nice if Fl was a state with a plate on the front of the car. The driver usually mentions us by name as we approach...something we really appreciate.
The worst place we have used Uber/Lyft is at US/IoA. The general pick up spot is a nightmare! Way too many vehicles there. Now, we try to walk over to HRH and go from there!

That's the Lyft "Amp."

Uber has a similar device called the Uber Beacon, but they're only in Miami, Denver, Nashville, and now being distributed in SFO, NYC, and Chicago.

When the driver gets close to your pickup, you're prompted to pick a color from a palette. The Beacon is mounted on the front windshield, and it matches the color you select. If multiple cars approach with the same color, you can change the color and the Beacon will also change. The Beacon makes pickups very easy in crowded venues like sporting events, big festivals, airports, etc.

I've had one for a little over a year and I love it -- although it was much more helpful when the entire face of the rider's app turned the color and they could wave it at you. Now they just get a tiny color icon that can't be seen from a distance.

The problem with these types of devices is that not every driver in any market has one, and only a few markets have them. So someone flying into MIA from LA, for example, would not know what to do when prompted to select a color.

I tend to use Uber/Lyft with my friend. We both have the apps on our phones, so it's a toss up as to who is booking the ride. But, one of us routinely goes behind the car to check the plate number before getting into the car. It sure would be nice if Fl was a state with a plate on the front of the car. The driver usually mentions us by name as we approach...something we really appreciate.
The MUCH BETTER safety check is to compare the driver's picture on your app to the smiling face behind the wheel. We have had situations here in Miami -- particularly with Lyft at our airports (MIA and FLL) -- where some drivers rent their cars and phones out to other drivers. In that scenario, the car and tag will check out, but neither you NOR Lyft has any idea who that driver is!

That particular scam is much harder to pull with Uber because Uber periodically requires us to submit a new picture prior to going online to receive rides. We do a new selfie on the driver app, the picture is confirmed with facial recognition software, and only then are we allowed to go online.

There is no such protection with Lyft; my Lyft picture is 18 months old and has never been verified.

The worst place we have used Uber/Lyft is at US/IoA. The general pick up spot is a nightmare! Way too many vehicles there. Now, we try to walk over to HRH and go from there!

What is HRH?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter