Explain this to me like I’m a 5 year old, please

TA or not TA: depends on how much control you like. I just don’t like having to go through a middle-man, since I am a night owl and my ideas come after normal work hours - and I want results then. For people who like / need handing off work and just enjoy the fact they are going on vacation, get a TA who has Disney Cruise experience. Each situation can stress out groups of people.

Actually, there is very little you have to do for a cruise. They make it a fairly complete vacation.

And if your TA doesn’t have answers to your questions or you feel you have asked too many, come talk to us.

Thank you for the detailed breakdown! At WDW I love to sit on a balcony and have my coffee or a glass of wine, but I’d rather have the second cruise for sure!
…what’s a fish extender? I have a mental picture, but I’m SURE it’s wrong.
There is a little metal fish outside each door (sometimes now a starfish) that DCL uses to send you notes such as a reminder of your Palo reservation.
Some people like to create an "extension" of the fish by hanging a sort of device made up of multiple large pockets, sometimes with each family member's name, to receive mail or gifts. Some people are amazingly crafty at this, which I most definitely am not. I will see if I have any photos of any but other can probably post their own.

You've been given great info so far. I just wanted to chime in that if you can sail when kids are in school, you will save a lot of money. Summer & holidays are very expensive. Just moving your sail date by a week or 2 can make a huge difference. Bahamas can be chilly in later Dec-early March. CC is not far off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale.
Also, people think of hurricane season as August & September but technically it's June 1 - Nov 30, almost half the year. We have sailed many, many times during hurricane season. Sure, there's a chance but that's what insurance is for. Safety is always their top concern. No ports are ever guaranteed.

Have fun planning!

Play with the Disney Cruise Line website. Use Find a Cruise and try different parameters. Dates, ship, destination, length of cruise. Overall, the matching cruises will be listed in order by itinerary with the lowest cabin price they are offering (almost always an interior stateroom - no window).

If you click on an itinerary, it will show all the sailing dates in chronological order.

You can click on cruises and stateroom categories, even specific staterooms (available ones are colored, not white. But not all available ones are shown online!). You are not making a commitment at this point. It will show you the price for all guests to include cruise fare and taxes.

When doing a cruise search, the price shown is for the cabin (and the guest/ ages you specify), not per person, and includes taxes.

Here is a fish extender. I was taking the pic because dh loves those brass bats on the Haunted Mansion ride. In WDW, they hold the rope that forms the queue. They are actually worn down by so many people touching them over the years. That only adds to the charm & character of them. I’m not sure if they are in DLR.

1712110957255.jpeg

Thank you! This sounds like a place a travel agent would be really useful. I don’t use them for WDW because I enjoy the planning (or did, pre-Genie) but I’d rather skip the learning curve here.

I don't think there's much of a learning curve...at least if you're used to Disney processes because the web interface is pretty similar

I have a friend who swears by inside staterooms, because she likes the total darkness for sleeping. I had an office that was basically an oversized windowless closet, so on vacation, I want something different than that.

I like the structured relaxation of the Disney cruise, I like knowing that dinner will be in x time at y restaurant and that I can make the day more structured if I want (booking excursions, drink tastings, etc) or leave it haphazard.

I have never been on a cruise, and no one in my extended family has ever been on a Disney cruise, but the Treasure looks amazing and I want to go. Can someone please point me towards resources that can explain in obnoxious detail how cruises and the process of booking one works? I love travel planning, but I’m completely lost here!
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and help out this forlorn newbie.
I haven't read the whole thread, but... get the contact information of a reputable travel advisor who is local to you and specializes in Disney destinations. (Local and specializing in Disney are important here - choosing a discount booking site like Costco or a local TA who doesn't regularly sail with Disney won't help you.)

Make sure this TA is regularly accessible by phone or email and offers "full service" planning that includes assisting you with Port Adventures, onboard activities, online check in, flights, hotel, and transfers. They will walk you through the whole process, answer all your questions, and make sure you choose the right sailing for you. Then they will assist throughout the planning process until you are ready to travel.

Given that OP loves travel planning, I don't think a TA is necessary. I use Costco but only for the cash back. Booking a cruise is not so different than say, booking a flight. Decide cabin, destination, and time of year and you're basically all set. Once onboard there's plenty of activities and meals pre planned for you. The most planning that takes place beyond booking the cruise is getting yourself onboard, and if you want to plan your days in port. For your convenience, Disney has excursions you can pre book. Once onboard you can even talk to a shore excursion person to help you book or modify an existing booking, subject to availability of course. IMO a TA may know the questions to ask, but isn't going to provide the answers. Only the person who is vacationing can say what kind of experience they hope to have.

We did our first cruise ever on DCL too and never used a TA. We knew so very little and hadn't even known about these boards or roll call groups. We still had a fantastic time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter