Express Pass Needed?

Swidner

Earning My Ears
I am taking my son May 7-8 for this birthday...its a surprise! We have been before but always stayed at a premier with EP given to us. This time we will not since I cannot make the price work for only 2 of us. Unlimited EP for both days is about $520. Should I purchase now and insure we don't have long waits, or wait and see how they fluctuate and purchase if I see them start to creep up. I know crowd calendars are not 100% this year, but right now they show that weekend to be slow. Help!!! LOL

I just checked, and I saw Royal Pacific has rooms the night of May 7, which will give you 2 days express pass, for $419. I would do that, even if you need to stay somewhere else before or after.

I just checked, and I saw Royal Pacific has rooms the night of May 7, which will give you 2 days express pass, for $419. I would do that, even if you need to stay somewhere else before or after.
I have considered that. I am more interested in if they will actually be needed. The extra $400-$500 is a good chunk if it will not actually be a busy weekend.

I also have checked the premier resorts and though it shows $419 for RP, when you click on it, it is actually $800+. Same for the other two premier resorts.

I also have checked the premier resorts and though it shows $419 for RP, when you click on it, it is actually $800+. Same for the other two premier resorts.

For just one night? I still had the window open and clicked through, and I'm seeing $471, including tax.

If he's been before, I'd skip the Express Passes this time and save the money unless you or he really hate lines (who doesn't but for $520 I'd put up with them in some cases). Yeah, you'll do less, but he can focus on his favorites versus trying to cram everything into two days. Your dates are after spring break and before summer, so they are likely to remain on the slower side (unless some huge convention comes to town or all the locals decide to go over your dates. That said, I do not get why the pricing on the hotel is over $800 given the time period. We've booked the RP for midish December and are paying less than that for two nights. Granted, I booked really far in advance, but my time should be busier than yours (which should equal more expensive room rates). The pricing seems off lately. I looked at some dates in January 2023 (before booking December 2022), and they were over $700 a night.

For just one night? I still had the window open and clicked through, and I'm seeing $471, including tax.
I just saw your post and checked as well. I see this:
SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2022 — MONDAY, MAY 9, 2022
Loews Royal Pacific Resort
Seasonal Rate
Standard 2 Queen Room
May 7$419.00
May 8$384.00
TAXES
Occupancy Tax$48.18
State Tax$52.19
Subtotal$903.37
Deposit$471.37
Remaining Amount$432.00

So, It is over $800, but you get 2 nights for that. For a single night, it is only $419 as you say. This is a little more than I am paying for my two December nights, but not my much.

You could always do as TreeFalls suggests and stay at RP on the 7th for $419. You'd get both days of express passes (if you really want them). Some might tell you to book a throwaway room, but I'd never do that. Paying for 2 rooms on the 7th is a waste when you can just switch hotels and get a cheaper one on the 8th. Sure, it's a little bit of a hassle, but it's cheaper that way. If you book a Universal hotel both nights, you can even have bells services hold your luggage and retrieve it after the second day in the park before checking into the second room.

Also, sorry to derail a little and I realized I didn't address your real question... I love express pass and we always try to get it, because even when it's less crowded, we still get more rides in. My youngest always wants to "ride it again", and the EPs make that much easier to justify. And weekends can be crowded, even at a lower crowds time.

I just saw your post and checked as well. I see this:
SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2022 — MONDAY, MAY 9, 2022
Loews Royal Pacific Resort
Seasonal Rate
Standard 2 Queen Room
May 7$419.00
May 8$384.00
TAXES
Occupancy Tax$48.18
State Tax$52.19

Subtotal$903.37
Deposit$471.37
Remaining Amount$432.00

So, It is over $800, but you get 2 nights for that. For a single night, it is only $419 as you say. This is a little more than I am paying for my two December nights, but not my much.

You could always do as TreeFalls suggests and stay at RP on the 7th for $419. You'd get both days of express passes (if you really want them). Some might tell you to book a throwaway room, but I'd never do that. Paying for 2 rooms on the 7th is a waste when you can just switch hotels and get a cheaper one on the 8th. Sure, it's a little bit of a hassle, but it's cheaper that way. If you book a Universal hotel both nights, you can even have bells services hold your luggage and retrieve it after the second day in the park before checking into the second room.
They are not doing single nights it’s a minimum 2 nights now

They are not doing single nights it’s a minimum 2 nights now
Looks like they outsmarted the throwaway room, lol. At least that makes the decision easier. Either an expensive Express Pass with a cheaper stay, Royal Pacific stay, or one cheaper stay. No Spilt stay. No throwaway.

You don't need Express Passes if you plan and manage expectations. Go in the morning for opening, plan to be there for park close - those are your lowest wait times. Mid-day be selective - ride lower wait rides (UO App shows wait times), ride Hagrids/Velocicoaster, explore, watch shows, take a break, long lunch, etc.

If you plan to ride the biggest rides at 2pm on Sat, you will have long lines. But that is very easily avoidable.

i realize you’re hoping no express pass, and I would hope May will be manageable without them, especially if you can put up with a few long lines. That said weekends always have a crowd bump at Universal, and this spring is not behaving like history.

However, if you do decide to book a room for express, be sure to search without AP rates. If I look for AP rates I only see the 800 suites available, if I look for rooms without the AP rate, I see the 417 room for one night, just fyi.

For an extra 279 a person (if you are doing park to park) you could do a group VIP experience on the first day and get front of the line. We did it on Monday and it was amazing. We did 13 rides including Velocicoaster and Hagrids without any wait. You also get breakfast and lunch. We didn’t stay onsite so we also got free valet parking ($70).

Also, to OP, I really think all weekends are going to be pretty doggone busy from now until who-knows-when.
Orlando has been busier than normal already this year, and I think it will persist for a good while.
I think you will want the EPs.

Thank you all! I decided to just go for it and book RP for the whole stay. I was watching the EP prices and they jumped significantly to almost $200/person. Our flight gets in early, so we will check in and use the passes for 3 park days. Thanks again for the advice!

This is completely false. I just made 4 1-night reservations a couple days ago.
Just tried to do one for May 7, and it definitely would have let me.
Agree! DS booked a one night stay with his AP for May after our cruise. I also called for pricing on military rate and was also given price for one night (it was same as AP rate, so just had DS book it). I would think you could book regular rate for one night also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter