Express Walk Off - Worth It?

Mcert01

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I was wondering if using Express Walk Off is worth the extra trouble of moving your own luggage off of the ship. I guess it depends on how much luggage, but assuming 1 bad and 1 carry-on per person, is it worth the trouble? How much time do you save with Express Walk Off?

Thanks!

It is usually for people who have an early flight but anyone can participate. Is it worth it? It depends...do you HAVE to get off early and be somewhere? If not, then I would just leave the ship after breakfast and pick up my bags in the luggage hall.

I have seen people line up very early and just cool their heels waiting for the doors to open. We have done it a few times but I think I prefer for DCL to just handle my bags that last morning.

MJ

It depends on a few things. We have done if for the past three cruises and we thought it was worth if for *us* because we got a head start on getting out of the terminal and getting to our next destination. We missed out on breakfast (although we could have grabbed something quick from Cabana's had we wanted to) since we had early dining/early breakfast for departure morning. We queued in line early and breezed through security once we were allowed off the ship. We were in our car in less than 10 minutes as a guess (we had to walk to the garage across the street.) For a typical cruise out of Port Canaveral, your mileage may vary. Now when we did this after departing the 2014 WBTA cruise that docked in Puerto Rico our last day, I guess we shaved off SEVERAL HOURS of waiting around. That wasn't typical though. For us (two adults, no children) we think it's worth it. If I had kids, may not be worth the hassle unless you are trying to catch an early flight.

We've taken our bags off twice out of the three times we've sailed. For us, it depends on the bags to people ratio. We'll wait and see how many we have for this summer's cruise before we decide, it's that close in trade-offs.

The porters are so quick. We got off about 7:30pm to no line.... porters grabbed our bags, through customs and we were in a taxi and at the rental car company by 7:50am. Much easier to have them help.

I'm curious as well. Didn't know anything about it...but with me and a small child traveling together, it would be worth whatever it is! (In reason)lol
To me, it is actually more difficult. I travel with my daughters alone too. Express walk off is for those with an early flight. Instead of putting your bags out the night before, you have to handle ALL your luggage yourself. Here is a link: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp-...elcome-Home-PC-Dream-4N-Bahamian-Oct-2013.pdf

Last edited:
Can someone explain in detail how to go about doing this.

I'm curious as well. Didn't know anything about it...but with me and a small child traveling together, it would be worth whatever it is! (In reason)lol

Guests using Express Walk-Off keep all their bags in their cabin instead of leaving it outside your stateroom on the final night of the cruise. (It’s a nice gesture to let your stateroom attendant know you’re dong this so he or she isn’t waiting around for a bag that’s not going to show up.) In the morning, you dress, finish any last minute packing, and bring all your bags to the deck where they will be debarking (3 or 4 depending on the port/ship). Disney asks that guests using this service by ready to exit the ship by 7 AM. When the ship has cleared customs, an announcement is made, and guests grab their bags and leave the ship. You can still enjoy breakfast at Cabanas or Cove Café which is open before 7AM if you wish to grab something to eat before you leave.

Personally, unless you have a reason to use express walk-off (such as an early flight, etc.) I prefer to stay on the ship and enjoy a relaxing final morning because I prefer not to rush.

Last edited:
We have done it each cruise. We park at Port Canaveral and by 7:20 a.m., we are in the car on on the road home.

I think it's probably best for those who are not taking DCL transfers. We did not do Express Walk-Off on our last cruise and were through customs and on the DCL bus by 7:55. We sat for nearly another hour before we left for WDW. So Express Walk-Off just would've meant we would've sat for 90 minutes instead of 60. But I can see where it would be beneficial for those doing their own transportation.

Yes, as the lines for Customs are also shorter then. That being said, waiting on the ship is not too bad either. :) I think that the DCL buses leave when they are fullish. So, you may get on an earlier bus, but it may not be that beneficial. Disembarkation day is also sometimes crazy on elevator wait times, so don't forget to plan that in. You can go up or down stairs with a carry on, a bit harder with a big piece of luggage.

For us it was worth it, because we wanted to maximize time at MK before our afternoon flight (we had APs). We left our bags in our room, went to Cabanas around 6:30am for a quick breakfast, then retrieved our bags and were off the ship and through customs within half an hour. We were in our rental car by 8:00am and made it to TTC by 9:00am!

We were on the Magic last week. Had first seating for breakfast, found bags, through customs and to rental car in ramp. We did not rush and were at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs by 9:40. Express might have saved us 30 minutes tops. To me, not worth the hassle.

We are going to Disney World directly after our cruise as well, but using Disney transportation. Would this still benefit me, or does every bus leave at same time regardless?
The buses depart when full. So it varies. The first buses typically leave around 8:30ish. But could be earlier or later.

We have an early flight (11:20) and will be using Disney transportation. Is there a bus ready to go early for people using this? If so, I think we will do this too.

We have an early flight (11:20) and will be using Disney transportation. Is there a bus ready to go early for people using this? If so, I think we will do this too.
The buses are there waiting when the ship is cleared for debarkation. As to whether the bus will depart in time to make your flight - as I noted, buses depart when full, so it's hard to be definite about whether you will be on time or not. Chances are you'll be OK, but no real guarantee.

The buses are there waiting when the ship is cleared for debarkation. As to whether the bus will depart in time to make your flight - as I noted, buses depart when full, so it's hard to be definite about whether you will be on time or not. Chances are you'll be OK, but no real guarantee.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter