Extend Trip with 4yo/10mo?

mtiger

Earning My Ears
***UPDATED PLANS FURTHER IN POSTS***

me/wife/4yo/10mo/2GMs (first time since 1989)

I am now getting to drive to WDW from Memphis (13 hrs) as my MIL will not get on a plane. But the silver lining is that we "could" go a few days earlier. We have res at BLT 9/5-9/8 and AKL 9/8-9/11. Currently a pretty loose schedule but with parks/ADRs everyday (plus Ole Miss/FSU at the Citrus Bowl). Thinking we might get two rooms for 9/3-9/5 at Hilton Bonnet Creek and up our tickets from 7 to 9 days (i think $25 extra).

Already a little out of whack with our DDP as it is split across days and can't use them interchangibly. May just move everything around and pay out of pocket so we can do some char meals earlier and take advantage of our kitchen by cooking there a few times. It will also be pretty crowded Labor Day weekend, so may be better to do "experiences" that weekend then rides Tues-Sun.

Anyone with similar experience of age kids (+help) and can give me some advice of whether we will all hate each other after 9 days or whether the extra 2 days will help us spread out some of the touring and do more napping, relaxing by pool, slow dinners to be worth the extra $500 or so in hotel/tickets?

Last edited:
A few years ago we went to WDW for 8 nights/9 days in July. We stayed at AKL villas. Our kids were 10yo, 2.5yo, and 11 mths. My mom also came with us.
This past April we went for 9 nights/10 days. Stayed at WL. This time it was just us and the kids, now ages 11.5yo, 4yo, and 2.5yo.

I like longer trips because they feel more relaxing. We weren't in the parks from open to close because we didn't feel like we had to cram everything in in one day. We visited the parks multiple times. This allowed us to go back to the room to go swimming, nap, or be back at the room at night for the beach movie. This also helped us spread out our FPs for all the big rides so we never had to wait in long lines. It also let us slow down in the parks and check out things we normally wouldn't spend a lot of time on (the playgrounds, splash areas, pirate game at MK, etc.).

I've done a very similar trip. Additional days are way to go. This will also allow you to spend some time apart without feeling like you are missing something big.

Yes... Just what you said, you can slow down. Think of the extra days as doing the same touring you were planning, at a slower pace. I would do an actual rest day every 4th day (or sooner!)

me/wife/4yo/10mo/2GMs (first time since 1989)

I am now getting to drive to WDW from Memphis (13 hrs) as my MIL will not get on a plane. But the silver lining is that we "could" go a few days earlier. We have res at BLT 9/5-9/8 and AKL 9/8-9/11. Currently a pretty loose schedule but with parks/ADRs everyday (plus Ole Miss/FSU at the Citrus Bowl). Thinking we might get two rooms for 9/3-9/5 at Hilton Bonnet Creek and up our tickets from 7 to 9 days (i think $25 extra).

Already a little out of whack with our DDP as it is split across days and can't use them interchangibly. May just move everything around and pay out of pocket so we can do some char meals earlier and take advantage of our kitchen by cooking there a few times. It will also be pretty crowded Labor Day weekend, so may be better to do "experiences" that weekend then rides Tues-Sun.

Anyone with similar experience of age kids (+help) and can give me some advice of whether we will all hate each other after 9 days or whether the extra 2 days will help us spread out some of the touring and do more napping, relaxing by pool, slow dinners to be worth the extra $500 or so in hotel/tickets?
The long drive deserves a reward.... Go for the extra two nights!

My kids are the exact same age. We went with my parents and stayed 6 nights.

Post-trip our biggest complaint (aside from the buses!! Never again!!) was that we were very rushed. Yes, we did everything we wanted in each of the parks but we were up early and stayed all day without a break to accomplish that. In retrospect a pool day or a Disney Springs day or even a day to explore other resorts would have been nice.

I can't speak to whether you'll be ready to kill each other but it seems like if everyone is less rushed and more rested you should be in better spirits!

Granted it has been a while, but Labor Day 2009 was dead. And my husband was there the week before last year and it was also pretty slow. So crowds may be better than you think.
That is a LOT of moving around with kids, which would make the trip stressful for me. But maybe you are more organized than I am (wouldn't take much). If I were you I would try to add days at the resorts you already have booked, not a third one.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who has helped me get this together so far. Want this to be a special trip for my little boy. Think I finally have a final draft for making ADRs (in a week). Any last minute advice for changes to touring plans/dining? I know WDW schedules will change and i'll need to adjust, but want to make sure i've thought this all through when making reservations. Have already made quite a few changes based on feedback and I feel better about the trip each time. Thank you all again.

SAT 3-Sep (Hilton Bonnet Creek)
  • Breakfast: Hotel
  • AM: Drive
  • Lunch: TBD
  • Afternoon: Magic Kingdom
  • Dinner: Chef Mickeys
  • PM: Electric Parade/Wishes

SUN 4-Sep (Hilton Bonnet Creek)
  • AM : Animal Kingdom
  • Lunch: Tusker House Brunch
  • Afternoon: Animal Kingdom
  • Dinner: Hotel Pool
  • PM: Rivers of Light

MON 5-Sep (BLT)
  • AM: Magic Kingdom
  • Lunch: Magic Kingdom
  • Afternoon: Condo
  • Dinner: Ole Miss/FSU Game
  • PM: Ole Miss/FSU Game
TUES 6-Sep (BLT)
  • Breakfast: Condo
  • AM: Magic Kingdom
  • Lunch: Crystal Palace
  • Dinner: Grill by Pool
  • PM: Wishes

WED 7-Sep (BLT)
  • Breakfast: Be Our Guest 8&10
  • AM:Magic Kingdom
  • Lunch: Condo
  • Dinner: California Grill
  • PM: Magic Kingdom
THURS 8-Sep (AKL)
  • AM: Condo
  • Lunch: Hollywood and Vine
  • Afternoon: Hollywood Studios
  • Dinner: Studio Catering Co.
  • PM: Fantasmic
FRI 9-Sep (AKL)
  • AM: Epcot
  • Lunch: Sunshine Seasons
  • Dinner: Coral Reef
  • PM: Illuminations
SAT 10-Sep (AKL)
  • AM: OPEN- let 4yo choose
  • Lunch: TBD
  • Dinner: Jiko
  • PM: OPEN- let 4yo choose
SUN 11-Sep
  • AM: OPEN - let 4yo choose
  • Lunch: Ohana Brunch
  • Afternoon: OPEN- let 4yo choose
  • Dinner: TBD
  • PM: Drive

1 - You have a lot of eating in your room scheduled (which is fine) but is it really worth it to buy the DDP then? I would think you'd be better out of pocket...

2 - You have quite a few days that you have scheduled at a non-recommended park for MK. You might not care, but if you want to move things around, I'd check easywdw.com

3 - 9 days is not too long of a vacation for my immediate family, but with both GMs and not being in a house with enough room to escape them for a little bit I wouldn't be too sure about it. Have the 2 GMs spent any extended time together?

4 - I personally hate switching resorts, and I definitely wouldn't want it do it twice in 1 trip with a baby. They require soooo much stuff.

Three different resorts in that amount of time with two little ones sounds like a lot of packing, moving, unpacking!

I don't know about your kids, but when I took my daughter (5 months first time, then 2 years old) we didn't want to switch nor go back to the park after dinner (or whatever it is). Basically once we left the park, that was it for the day.. whether we ate onsite or offsite, and this was with one child. (btw, she's a great kid, not fussy, but we were just so tired after walking around all day long in the HEAT!) we're going in October with 2 kids (youngest will be 6 months) and we also don't intend on going back to the resort and back to the park, etc. They'll nap in the strollers and we'll just do dinner in the park, then leave for the day.

1. Sorry should have clarified that I also came to that conclusion. Wasn't happy about splitting DDPs and not really getting to use them the first couple of days. Shifted the character meals mostly to breakfast/lunch and think we will come out ahead (plus we can do some before checking into an actual WDW property)

2. I used touringplans.com to choose the parks - though i wanted to do MK and AK first two days regardless. They were showing crowds of 1-2 at every park most days. Since we're staying at BLT Mon-Wed, wanted to take advantage of that by staying at MK. Anyone think this will make a big difference?

3. Certainly going to be the wildcard of the trip - they are pretty good friends and have done 3-4 days trips with the family before. One thing I def want to do is set aside some time for different "groups". With 2 GMs should be much easier. Agree that we ALL may not go back to the park each evening, but can see something like me and the 4yo just going back into MK one night and riding what we can till he passes out.

4. Not a big fan either, but getting the Hilton for free so tough to pass up. The little boy is very excited about both BLT and ALK so hopefully his enthusiasm will spread across the group.

Quite a big investment for this trip, so trying to make sure the whole group is comfortable (though I am fully aware this could all go sideways on day 1). Thank you all again - haven't been a part of any forum for quite a while, but awesome to know there are people out there that just want to make my trip better. Feel like I need to pass on the pixie dust.

I would absolutely spread it out. In all the times we've been, our better trips have always been the ones where we didn't feel like we were in a hurry, and had time to take a break from the parks in the middle.
We will also be there at the time you will, and unfortunately we only have 6 days, and I'd give anything to have two more. We aren't doing a park the day of the OM/FSU game; we plan to just shop at Disney Springs before leaving for the game.

Also, don't know if you've ever stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek before, but we stayed there last November and it was great.

First of all, yes, absolutely I think you should extend the trip. I am always for more vacation time, Disney or not. Obviously assuming it could stay in budget.
Honestly though, I am exhausted just reading your plan...SO much moving around and so many full days. I know my kids would be so cranky and irritable by the end of the 3rd day. You have to figure the packing, unpacking, resettling in, missing naps since check in isn't until late, getting tired kids to sit through multiple table service meals, then going back into the parks is a LOT for anyone, but particularly that age.
Honestly if it were me? If adding the deluxe for a couple of extra days brings it out of budget, I would switch one of the resorts to a moderate. Skip Wyndham Bonnet Creek altogether then at that point. Schedule your FP+ for the afternoon and then be flexible...if the kids were out late the night before, be open to sleeping in the next morning if they aren't up for it.

Funny that this thread was revived as I wanted to post our final plans for any last advice from the board (it has been terrific so far). Since Feb, we were also offered to go on a VIP tour with our generous friends and their 4 y/o on Fri, so had to adjust for that amazing experience. So . . . we're now leaving Wed and arriving Thurs. afternoon (+4 days from original plan). We tried to just spread everything out, leave time for slow mornings, pooltime, and naps. We also have 2 GMs who will likely rotate taking the baby on strolling naps or take our car back to the resort (they are not doing VIP). We're all packing very light (using washer/dryer in condos) so hoping moving won't be too painful. Have a contact at the Hilton so got a great rate on connecting rooms overlooking the fireworks (something the boy says he wants to see every night). I think the best thing about extending the trip is that if any of these plans (besides the game) fall through, we'll have plenty of time to make up for it.

Any thoughts are welcome as I've certainly put lots of time in trying to get this right. Appreciate everything I've learned on these boards.

2016-08-05_23-52-24.png

I love your color coded spreadsheet! We have traveled with 5, 4, 2 and 11 week old last year and in 2014 with 4, 3 and 1 yo. Our theory was 2 park days then a resort day with only dinner scheduled in the evening. We pushed them too much last year with 3 park days, 1 resort day, then 3 more park days and we were all pretty cranky. My dream trip would be 9 nights with 2 park days, pool day, 2 park days, pool day, then 2 more park days. We are going this year but can only do 6 nights so it's 2 park days, pool day, 2 more park days.

Definitely take advantage of MK easy access while at BLT. IT'S more important that you have a good touring plan.

The moving around to 3 resorts would wear me out but the kids probably won't notice. Maybe try to pack your clothes into 3 separate bags, one for each resort.

Enjoy your trip!

Looking good! I would consider switching your DHS day and Epcot day on the 8th and 9th, simply because you're at BLT with easier access to Epcot (monorail) on the 8th, whereas you take a bus or car to DHS no matter where your resort is. Just a minor tweak, so if your ADRs and FPs are hard to switch, you're fine. Love that you've allowed lots of time at AKL to enjoy the resort itself. I haven't stayed at Bonnett Creek so maybe it's super easy, but on your first AK day, I don't know if I'd plan on leaving for dinner and returning again. I just never do that at AK, especially if I've started later than rope drop. Looks like a great trip - have fun!!

Wow! I wish I could be as organized as you are! I used to be more like that when the kids were small, but my girls are grown now, so they do their own thing and all I plan are meals. Some we split up, some we eat together. You plan seems great, though MK on Wednesday I know is EMH day I believe. We plan to start our day in DHS and then hop over late afternoon to stay late for EMH at MK.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter