Extended Evening Hours

I was standing behind a group of 8 people who were boasting that only 2 of them were staying at the Beach Club while the rest were off site. When it came time for them to scan in, the cast member scanned the first person and asked how many in the party, he said 8. All were let on the ride. When I made the cast member aware of this, I was told that it was the way it is done now because "guest satisfaction surveys," showed that this was the preferred method for guests
I hope you’ll consider sending an email to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com telling them about this.

Just came back from a WDW trip. The extended evening hours at MK last week were almost useless the first hour. I was standing behind a group of 8 people who were boasting that only 2 of them were staying at the Beach Club while the rest were off site. When it came time for them to scan in, the cast member scanned the first person and asked how many in the party, he said 8. All were let on the ride. When I made the cast member aware of this, I was told that it was the way it is done now because "guest satisfaction surveys," showed that this was the preferred method for guests. I found the half hour early entry at MK useless as well. With only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland open, the lines were instantaneously long. Through reading these boards and listening to multiple Disney podcasts, I expected crowds, but not Christmas break crowds. It really is ridiculous that Disney requires park reservations but doesn't seem to be limiting capacity at all.

Wow. That is ridiculous. Not sure what can be done about it though since Disney historically has taken a non-confrontational position when dealing with guests bending the rules.

Wow. That is ridiculous. Not sure what can be done about it though since Disney historically has taken a non-confrontational position when dealing with guests bending the rules.

One time I was entering the LL for Tower of Terror and a family in front of me was arguing with the CM at the entrance - I think it was something about rider switch. The CM said something along the lines of them having to scan in again and they wouldn't get through. They proceeded through the LL and when we got to the second tap point the dad told the two kids to stand right next to him on the other side so the CM couldn't see and the parents scanned and they all managed to slide through. I wanted to say something but decided against it since they probably would have just let them through again and I didn't want to cause a scene.

I would contact guest relations and let them know your experience and the CM’s reply. I don’t think a generic guest satisfaction survey is dictating the correct procedure for a CM to scan wrist bands at Deluxe after hours. Sounds like a CM taking license on feedback on what could be a completely different area and applying how he/she sees fit.

It was a team leader I spoke to at the Haunted Mansion who quoted the quest satisfaction survey. I did go to guest relations at the front of the park as soon as I rode the ride and did speak with a manager who was sympathetic and took a report. The same situation repeated itself on other rides throughout the night. They scan one band. This is the same thing that happens at early morning hours as well. They even announce, "one band scan per party." The magic band scan may show how many in the resort room but they are in no way counting or paying attention because they are going so fast trying to get people in. I think it probably has much to do with understaffing, the crowds, and that the early morning hours is only 30 minutes instead of one hour before park open. Now they do seem to be letting people in anywhere from 5-10 minutes earlier but the crowds are massive in the mornings, especially at MK. AK was also pretty bad with the stampede to FOP. We were staying at Boardwalk so the early morning hours scan in at the International Gateway went much smoother. We didn't get to DS earl morning hours.

It was a team leader I spoke to at the Haunted Mansion who quoted the quest satisfaction survey. I did go to guest relations at the front of the park as soon as I rode the ride and did speak with a manager who was sympathetic and took a report. The same situation repeated itself on other rides throughout the night. They scan one band. This is the same thing that happens at early morning hours as well. They even announce, "one band scan per party." The magic band scan may show how many in the resort room but they are in no way counting or paying attention because they are going so fast trying to get people in. I think it probably has much to do with understaffing, the crowds, and that the early morning hours is only 30 minutes instead of one hour before park open. Now they do seem to be letting people in anywhere from 5-10 minutes earlier but the crowds are massive in the mornings, especially at MK. AK was also pretty bad with the stampede to FOP. We were staying at Boardwalk so the early morning hours scan in at the International Gateway went much smoother. We didn't get to DS earl morning hours.
That is so frustrating and disappointing.

im glad this worked for your family, but I think most people with young kids will tell you that this was the exception, and not the rule. I don’t care what I do (or don’t do for that matter) during the day, my toddler and 6 year old aren’t going to be awake at midnight - it’s just not physically feasible for their little bodies. Their sleep clocks don’t simply change on a dime like that. And it seems even for families for kids who can achieve this, they have to alter both their day of and after to catch up on downtime and sleep. So even if you can technically take advantage you have to give up some of otherwise good and usable time. Forgive me, but that’s not really a perk for a lot of families, and shouldn’t be advertised as such.

Not every perk is intended for every guest. Magical Express used to be a great perk for those that flew into Orlando. In our dozen or so visits over the last 20+ years, we used it once. We drove (15 hours) every other time. Just because we personally did not use it does not mean that it wasn't a worthwhile perk.

I've not read all of the promotional information or fine print on Extra Magic Hours. What I have seen simply states that it is available for guests that stay at certain resorts. I don't think they have promoted it as a fantastic opportunity to families with young children or others that prefer to be in bed early. By contrast, it's advertised as something that occurs later in the evening and Disney is very clear that park hours are subject to change. I've been in Disney when they have changed day of, both to the good and to the bad (Hurricane Michael). We adapted.

We went to EPCOT EMH the last week of Jan and it was crowded. 75min wait for Frozen after fireworks, so we skipped it. Test Track was about 30 min

I wonder if that was inflated time to discourage day guests from getting in line. It does make strategy tricky because it seems like the best “value” for EE would be frozen and Remy, but you wouldn’t really be able to do much else if you have to power walk back to the front. Maybe grand fiesta tour while some of the day guests clear out, then Remy and frozen, try to hit one future world ride as you walk your way out?

Probably not, Frozen is still ridiculous if you wait until after fireworks. I would suppose the trick is to go DURING the fireworks and get in line.

I’m trying to decide between a mod and a deluxe. If we stay at the mod we will have a car. If we stay at the deluxe we will need to drop the car.
Are the extended evening hours enough of an advantage that we should opt for the Deluxe ? We will be going Memorial Day week, it’s looking to be very busy, and I’m having a very hard time deciding.

Last edited:
I’m trying to decide between a mod and a deluxe. If we stay at the mod we will have a car. If we stay at the deluxe we will need to drop the car.
Are the extended evening hours enough of an advantage that we should opt for the Deluxe ? We will be going Memorial Day week, it’s looking to be very busy, and I’m having a very hard time deciding.
Answered my own question. There’s no way I’m paying that much more and losing the car for what amounts to four extra hours of park time. Can’t do it.

Answered my own question. There’s no way I’m paying that much more and losing the car for what amounts to four extra hours of park time. Can’t do it.
I agree with that decision. Not to muddy the waters but you may want to look at Swan/Dolphin/Reserve and maybe get the best of both worlds. Deluxe perks at a moderate price (but don't forget to add in resort fee when comparing.)

We greatly enjoy Disney’s Moderate Resorts. Strong theming, good pools & food courts, and half the price of most Deluxe Resorts.

Thank you I really appreciate the feedback. We do have a DVC rental for four nights at the end of our stay but it doesn’t full on days that have evening hours. We love the Swan and Dolphin but they filled up while I waffled on a decision. The good news is I adore Port Orleans and it will be nice to have a car.

We do have a DVC rental for four nights at the end of our stay but it doesn’t full on days that have evening hours.

Disney counts the day you check out as still being in that resort. So, if you are checking out of DVC the night of the EMH, you qualify.

We're going to be able to take advantage of EEH when we go in May. I notice that Mondays EEH are at Epcot and Wednesdays EEH are at MK. However, on May 17th, a Tuesday, MK has EEH from 10-12. I've checked for three days in a row and it hasn't changed. Do you think this is a mistake that IT hasn't gotten to or if this is accurate? Should I wait to change my park days (still available) closer to our 60 day mark or do it now? This whole thing is making me nervous. It will impact dining reservations and any "extras" I'll book next week.

We're going to be able to take advantage of EEH when we go in May. I notice that Mondays EEH are at Epcot and Wednesdays EEH are at MK. However, on May 17th, a Tuesday, MK has EEH from 10-12. I've checked for three days in a row and it hasn't changed. Do you think this is a mistake that IT hasn't gotten to or if this is accurate? Should I wait to change my park days (still available) closer to our 60 day mark or do it now? This whole thing is making me nervous. It will impact dining reservations and any "extras" I'll book next week.
They haven't made any errors yet on those rare days that don't fit the pattern. I think there's a reason it's on Tuesday and not an IT error. I would switch to Tuesday if you want to take advantage of the EEH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter