• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Extended Family Gifts

mom2febgirls

Castle Decorator
We live across the country from all of our family. I like to send a gift to my siblings on Christmas but I feel like I've gotten into a rut. I usually send a Swiss Colony gift basket (as kids we got these and it was a hit so I know my family likes them).

My DH's Sis doesn't like the basket so I sent her a family game last year (her kids are all 18+)

I'm looking to mix it up a bit this year...any suggestions of what's been a hit in your experience?

Thanks

All of our family is in another state as well. We've done Omaha steaks..they have some good deals and they are always appreciated. Depending on the number of people in the family you are sending to, you can send the equivalent of several meals for a reasonable cost. We usually send BIL and MIL one that gives them 4-5 meals for about 50 bucks.

A Southern Season
Harry and Davids
Omaha Steaks

Do they garden? Burpee Seeds

Also, I still think giving a family game or puzzle is good, if you know the family takes time to do that kind of activity.

We have friends that send Janie's pound cakes (Tyler Texas) and also Greenberg Smoked Turkeys to their out of state extended family. Being one of 4 siblings, we stopped buying for extended family (adults) when 1st grandchild was born & when they turn 18 we stop buying for them. We used to get together & do a Secret Santa but don't think we will be doing that this year.

BIL and SIL live a few states away. Last year, they sent us a really nice Christmas flower arrangement. It arrived on 12/23 and the note said, "For your holiday table." It was a nice surprise to find it on the porch. It was our Christmas dinner centerpiece and everyone really admired it. That reminds me I need to find something really special to send them this year!

We live across the country from all of our family. I like to send a gift to my siblings on Christmas but I feel like I've gotten into a rut. I usually send a Swiss Colony gift basket (as kids we got these and it was a hit so I know my family likes them).

My DH's Sis doesn't like the basket so I sent her a family game last year (her kids are all 18+)

I'm looking to mix it up a bit this year...any suggestions of what's been a hit in your experience?

Thanks

Restaurant gift certificates.
Netflix gift membership.
Movie passes
Passes to a local museum/attraction that they might enjoy.

I've gone on harry and david's website and rather than doing one of their packaged baskets picked and chosen what I know db/dsil will enjoy. in their case last year I chose a few of the soup mixes that I knew they would both enjoy as well as some of the jarred goods (they have some awesome relishes and jams). I added a small package of their pears b/c they are phenomenal. this year we found a fantastic spice company so we're sending a selection of meat and veggie spices they enjoyed on a recent visit so we know they will enjoy.

if you know of particular likes within a family you can go to a website that sells those types of items and create your own 'gift basket'-in our house a visit to the starbucks site could provide a pound of coffee dh and I love, with the adult kids enjoying their premium hot chocolate mix. if they are the type that likes to watch movies as a group you could also get a newer release to mail along with a box of microwave popcorn and a gift card for a pizza place (chain local to them).

A local Pecan place makes great gift cans of assorted flavors
I now send this to a few couples

I've gone on harry and david's website and rather than doing one of their packaged baskets picked and chosen what I know db/dsil will enjoy. in their case last year I chose a few of the soup mixes that I knew they would both enjoy as well as some of the jarred goods (they have some awesome relishes and jams). I added a small package of their pears b/c they are phenomenal. this year we found a fantastic spice company so we're sending a selection of meat and veggie spices they enjoyed on a recent visit so we know they will enjoy.

if you know of particular likes within a family you can go to a website that sells those types of items and create your own 'gift basket'-in our house a visit to the starbucks site could provide a pound of coffee dh and I love, with the adult kids enjoying their premium hot chocolate mix. if they are the type that likes to watch movies as a group you could also get a newer release to mail along with a box of microwave popcorn and a gift card for a pizza place (chain local to them).
This is the only time of the year I eat pears when that box shows up from Harry and David's. They are perfectly sweet and crisp, never grainy. My DH's Aunt sends a selection of fruit from them every year and we look forward to it. My suggestion was going to be Harry and David's.

Maybe a homemade gift. Hot cocoa mix. Muffin mix. homemade seasoning for pasta. The key is packaging it so it looks pretty. Mason jars with a fancy label. Throw in a nice quality holiday kitchen towel or apron.

hot cocoa recipe: 1 8 oz. package of ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa, 2 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons salt That's it. Mix together and it will make about 3 or 4 small mason jars full. To make the cocoa: mix one heaping teaspoon with 1 cup of hot milk.

Or another idea: movie night package: movie theatre candy, microwave popcorn, a couple of dvd's of movies you think they'd like...all packaged up in a popcorn tub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter