Extended verandahs & fumes

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
I am looking at a 2019 booking on the Fantasy in the aft extended verandah cabins. I am curious about whether or not these rooms pick up the diesel fumes coming from the back of the ship.

On my last trip, I woke up early and headed to Cabanas for some coffee. It was empty, so I took the opportunity to sit outside at the dead center of the outdoor eating area and get a straight-on view out of the back of the ship.

It was beautiful, but I definitely could smell diesel fumes. It was not horrible, but it was a bit distracting. As roomy as the extended verandahs look, I am not sure I’d want to pay for one if the fumes were there.

Thanks for any info you can share.

I have stayed in 10158 on the Fantasy and don't recall the fumes but there was some soot on the verandah every morning. It would be cleaned off by midday. The major issue with that stateroom was it was on deck 10 right under Cabanas and most mornings we were awoken by the chairs being moved in Cabanas. We love aft and just booked one on deck 8 for our 2019 cruise.

If you do decide to book a 5E I would suggest not to book deck 10.

Thanks. We were looking at Deck 7. We like Aft as well, given that you can shoot straight up to Cabanas, but we stay away from Deck 10 for the Deck 11 noise issues you mention.

Interesting that you were right under where I was on Cabanas and didn’t smell any fumes.

If you are considering Aft on the Wonder, may want to search the Dis for reports of vibration in the cabins. We also love aft cabins but did experience some pretty heavy vibrations on our January cruise on the Wonder. This is a new thing since the dry dock and is most obvious under full power.

If you are considering Aft on the Wonder, may want to search the Dis for reports of vibration in the cabins. We also love aft cabins but did experience some pretty heavy vibrations on our January cruise on the Wonder. This is a new thing since the dry dock and is most obvious under full power.

Thanks. No Wonder for us, at least not for this trip. The Fantasy is always the ship that seems to best fit our travel needs.

Thanks. No Wonder for us, at least not for this trip. The Fantasy is always the ship that seems to best fit our travel needs.

I'm going to have to go back and look at old posts... I thought that most of the vibration reports WERE the Fantasy until the past couple of weeks someone said "Wonder" - which was the first time I ever saw the Wonder mentioned with vibration issues.

My BIL has had the aft balcony rooms (decks 9 and 10 I believe) twice on the Dream, and yes, you do get the occasional whiff of ship's fuel and the ash as others have said. There was also definitely more movement back there than our mid-ship accommodations.

We were in an aft cabin on the Fantasy, deck 9, and yes you could smell the diesel fumes a couple of times. It seemed when the winds were strong and the ship was traveling directly into the wind is when it was noticeable. We did get soot on the veranda, but it was cleaned when our room host cleaned the cabin. But the view was fantastic. I will probably try get the same room next time we travel on the Fantasy.

For all the puttering I do around this board, I am amazed that I've never heard about the soot issue until this thread. Between that and the fumes, I think I will pass on those staterooms.

Thank you all!

For all the puttering I do around this board, I am amazed that I've never heard about the soot issue until this thread. Between that and the fumes, I think I will pass on those staterooms.

Thank you all!
Glad you were able to make an informed decision. I think some of it matters where you are as well. The corner rooms have less overhang so there is a higher potentiality for ash. I don't remember there being any in my center room, 8188. The diesel could be a concern for some folks especially those prone to headaches.

We stayed in 9674 recently. The soot and fumes were definitely weather dependent. It was never enough to make us want to leave the verandah. For us, the soot was not everywhere. Just some larger ashy particles that would show up on chairs. Every day was different.

We loved the room and would happily stay there again in the future!

I admit I was puzzled as to why these rooms with great views and huge verandahs did not come at a premium over "regular" verandahs. Now I know.

I admit I was puzzled as to why these rooms with great views and huge verandahs did not come at a premium over "regular" verandahs. Now I know.
Not sure why you're coming to this conclusion. Many of the reports on here are second hand. I think all the first-hand reports are positive:
I will probably try get the same room next time we travel on the Fantasy.
I don't remember there being any in my center room, 8188.
We loved the room and would happily stay there again in the future!
I was in 9674 on the Dream in August. Loved the room. Never noticed any fumes or soot. We just booked a 5E on the 8th deck of the Dream for January 2019.

Not sure why you're coming to this conclusion. Many of the reports on here are second hand. I think all the first-hand reports are positive:

Well, it appears the soot and fumes are present and noticeable, even if they weren’t deal-breakers for the folks who have posted.

there was some soot on the verandah every morning

yes, you do get the occasional whiff of ship's fuel and the ash as others have said

yes you could smell the diesel fumes a couple of times. It seemed when the winds were strong and the ship was traveling directly into the wind is when it was noticeable.

The diesel could be a concern for some folks especially those prone to headaches.

As such, I am hard-pressed to think of another reason DCL (which isn’t shy about charging a premium) would not charge more for the extra square footage and great views of these cabins. Maybe the reported vibration?

Well, it appears the soot and fumes are present and noticeable, even if they weren’t deal-breakers for the folks who have posted.

As such, I am hard-pressed to think of another reason DCL (which isn’t shy about charging a premium) would not charge more for the extra square footage and great views of these cabins. Maybe the reported vibration?

I think all these factors are possibly why they are 5E's. Maybe even the location/proximity to other areas on ship.

Every room has pluses and minuses. We have stayed in a 5E on the Fantasy and have a reservation to do it again. We loved lying out on the extended veranda, we even slept out there for a couple hours each night. Depending on the ships speed and wind direction you occasionally got a whiff of the odd smell. The vibration level is higher in the back of the ship, which I actually thought was pleasant after getting used to it. ( But then in college, my dorm room was in NYC, un-air conditioned and was where trucks had to change gears, so I can learn to sleep anywhere.)

You are also all the way back, so there is no foot traffic - no screaming kids running to their rooms. When you stand at the rail there is no overhang above your head. It costs less than similar non extended balconies. The view from the rear balcony is superior to any other balcony on the ship. You can see both port and starboard from your balcony, so you don't worry about the view and whether the ship goes forward or backwards into ports.

So for me the pluses outweighs the minuses.

We had an aft cabin on Fantasy two years ago, and I came down with a little flu bug about the third night of the cruise. I spent the next two days, in the cabin and almost exclusively out on the balcony with a pillow and a book. I never ONCE noticed any soot or any smell of any kind. I don't see this is a problem, but some folks are really bothered by this. Having spent the last half of my life, in a shop, around tractors and big trucks, and the like, I suppose I wouldn't have noticed anyway. I my mind, this is another reason that folks should NOT try to get these cabins. That way, they are available for ME when I want to cruise.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

One of our 4ni Dream cruises was aft on deck 10 and twice (first and second day) we encountered TONS of soot......so bad it looked like it had snowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter