Extra Day- Can’t decide between having a beach day or doing Universal!

LifeIsTinkIsLife

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are taking our daughter for her 5th birthday in June. We have 6 day park hoppers but one of the days we might take off and do something else. We have family in Madeira Beach we thought about visiting (they may also just come to see us some other day of the trip) but then there is Universal. I’ve been wanting to see the two Harry Potter parks since they opened! I am struggling because a beach day is a day away from lines and crowds and Universal obviously won’t be, but I do really want to see it. We will have trips in the future so I’m wondering if June is not going to be the best time to go, especially since that new coaster opens during our trip. My husband is no help as he is happy doing either one haha!

We will have a car for the duration of our trip too so that is not a factor.

Please help me decide!! We will be there June 9-16

My husband and I are taking our daughter for her 5th birthday in June. We have 6 day park hoppers but one of the days we might take off and do something else. We have family in Madeira Beach we thought about visiting (they may also just come to see us some other day of the trip) but then there is Universal. I’ve been wanting to see the two Harry Potter parks since they opened! I am struggling because a beach day is a day away from lines and crowds and Universal obviously won’t be, but I do really want to see it. We will have trips in the future so I’m wondering if June is not going to be the best time to go, especially since that new coaster opens during our trip. My husband is no help as he is happy doing either one haha!

We will have a car for the duration of our trip too so that is not a factor.

Please help me decide!! We will be there June 9-16
I don't think your 5 year old will appreciate Harry Potter. Probably won't meet the height requirements, and probably won't enjoy them if she does. If she's into Dr. Seuss give it a shot, otherwise not worth the lines. Like Disney a Universal one day pass is way overpriced. How many trips in the next year? Universal APs are affordable. Consider getting one preferred pass, with free parking.

I think she would really enjoy the Harry Potter lands and her first wand. Will be magical. I suggest that she go to Universal/Harry Potter with her dad and then you can go to the beach during the day for rest.

Honestly, have a beach day.

The parks will be busy as the new coaster is due to open June 10th. Your daughter is a little young for some of the rides, and some of the play areas for little ones are closed due to Covid.

A relaxing beach day sounds perfect and keep Universal for when she`s a little older.

don't forget that to get the full Harry P experience you need the two park pass ... the train runs between the two parks . . .

Madeira Beach is a pretty fine place .... in addition to the nice beach you've got John's Pass Village . . . parents lived there for first 10 years of retirement to Florida

Last edited:
Beach for sure!

If you wait until your DD is a bit older, you can introduce her to the HP books. Then she can enjoy it to the fullest with you.
Having a working knowledge of HP isn't necessary to enjoy Universal. Many people enjoy it simply for what it is...
But I found having some background knowledge really helped me appreciate all the spectacular theming and details of the HP areas.

With all the park days you are already doing, I'd say beach and save Harry Potter for another time, especially since you will be back in the not too distant future.

Thank you all for your replies. I have been thinking all day about it and it probably would be best to do a beach day! The 1.5 hour drive isn’t appealing but AC and a break from wearing the masks all day might be nice! My daughter is a little HP fan already but it will be a lot better to save my first time going there when she will be tall enough for all the rides and such. Next time for sure!

I would make sure you have rest time planned into your schedule. We went to WDW for 3 days and did consecutive park days and really should have spaced it out more. Adding in Universal might sound like a good idea but the beach might give your tired (and sore) feet a day of recovery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter