Extra magic? Not really.

Skeetz Edinger

Earning My Ears
What is the point of extra magic hours when, minutes from closing, non-resort guests bombard all of the rides worth riding and run the wait times up to over two hours, rendering most of the rides completely inaccessible for so-called "extra magic hours?"

I don't think that really happens that much, at least not to an extent that it affects the wait times too much. Most people start heading out after the fireworks, or whichever nighttime show is in that park. Every park goer can get in line up until close, so it is what it is, but I don't think it's too bad.

Operational throughput for most headliners is 1,500 to 2,500 people an hour, so it would literally take thousands of people rushing a queue "minutes before closing" to suddenly generate a two-hour line. Personally, I have never witnessed that stampede. It's more likely the headliners you wanted to ride already had long lines and/or CMs were stacking the queues and wait times to discourage last-minute non-EMH guests. Marathon guests are crowding WDW right now, as are local APs who were unblocked today after the holidays.

What is the point of extra magic hours

It's part of the marketing to get more people to want to spend 2-4 times more on their hotel room than available down the street. Many peopel say avoid emh for a reason, this is one of them.

Also note, 1 minute before emh ends you can also rush the ride to get in line for another ride after close as well so it equals itself out :)

Last edited:
at 9:45 PM tonight, the wait time for space mountain was 180 minutes. Magic hours started at 10:00 PM

It seems to me that the people in the park are going to get on lines before they go, whether or not other people can stay later.

So EMH allow you to grab a snack, people watch, or go on the minor rides -- or get on one of those longer lines-- and then enjoy the park after those other people have left.

And morning EMH have no such issues.

We didn't have any problems with wait times during mid-late August during EMH. Probly depends the time of year you go. Then again crowds are just generally lower this time of year, if you can stand the heat

Jeez...it's even slammed NOW? Is that because today (Thursday the 5th) is the start of marathon weekend?

Jeez...it's even slammed NOW? Is that because today (Thursday the 5th) is the start of marathon weekend?
End of holiday trips plus a lot of marathoners have already arrived. TP had MK as a 10 yesterday and today. It seems to be warranted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter