FAA Changes Service Dog and ESA Flight Rules

I think a big problem though is where the animal is jumping around, going up to people, and it’s glaringly obvious the animal is not a trained service animal. But then you ask those two questions, “is it a service animal?” And “what service does it perform?” And the person goes yes it’s a service animal, and it performs [insert whatever function]..... you know they’re lying but you can’t do anything about it. As for the emotional support animals, people ARE conflating the two, saying (and often times truly believing) that ESA’s have the same rights as service animals. The average employee just assumes that to be true, and rather then risk a scene or a lawsuit they allow the ESA in. They may have 1 true service animal in a week, but now there’s 4 ESA’a on a daily basis.

It just seems like it would be easier for service animals to wear some kind of token or ID tag marking them as “official” (or whatever) and the penalties for forging one would be the same as forging a government form, like a fake drivers license. Make it simple for those truly needing a service animal to obtain, and free so there’s no undue hardship for them, but seems like it would eliminate this guessing game of whether or not it’s a “true” service animal
The ADA contains language that a SA must be under control of the handler. In cases where a SA is not under control, if it is barking, acts aggressive, has toileting accidents, etc., you may request the SA be removed. That doesn’t work once a plane Is away from the gate, but can apply in the airport.

Since this does not include developmental disabilities I suspect that it will be overturned relatively quickly for properly trained service dogs for those disabled individuals.

I never understood why emotion support dogs were permitted for those that do not qualify as disabled

Since this does not include developmental disabilities I suspect that it will be overturned relatively quickly for properly trained service dogs for those disabled individuals.
I guess I missed where developmental disabilities are excluded. A SA is still a SA, and the caregiver for someone with DD is typically the handler for a SA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter