Face coverings: what's the coolest, least restrictive option?

I love my Vera Bradley masks. They are made of a cotton material that feels smooth like a cotton poplin. I can add a filter in the pocket for situations that need extra protection. Easy to forget you are wearing one.

I just ordered a couple. I like that they have they nose-pincher thingie - I'm hoping it will help with glasses fogging. :)

After spending the last two days at Universal Florida I can tell you that there are no cool masks.

We have worn store bought cloth masks, home made dual layer pleated cloth masks, home made fitted cloth masks, single layer home made cloth masks, single layer home made dry fit masks, and blue procedure masks.

They have all been hot but bearable. None have seemed cooler then the others, none have been better or worse for fogging glasses.

I own the following:
1.) the Disney parks mask
2.) double layer handmade masks from Etsy
3.) double layer mask from mass retailers
4.) gaiter

I just bought the gaiter b/c I wanted to test it out for walks.

In my neighborhood there's mainly no need for a mask. It's very empty and everyone is polite about crossing the street or walking in the middle of the road if need be.
I still like to carry a mask on me just in case at all times.
At parks, there are times I definitely want to have my mask on.

I thought a gaiter would solve those problems but I'm not really sure it's going to be much help at all.
Which of course research has already confirmed. But I thought it might be good for those quick moments outdoors where it would be easier to pull something up rather than get out a mask.

I put it on and breathed with my hand in front of my face. I felt nothing.
Then I blew out my mouth. I felt all my breath. :scared:
Then I put on one of my double layer masks.
Breathed out. Felt nothing. Blew out my mouth. Felt nothing. Blew out my mouth very very hard. Slightly felt something.

Based on that rudimentary, total unscientific test, the gaiter isn't really stopping anything. I would only use it in an outside situation where a mask wasn't really necessary but you just wanted a teensy bit of protection to walk by a group of people quickly without having to take out a mask and then have to put it away.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to wear. If I was outside in a situation where I definitely would need a mask like a boardwalk or crowded park, I would just stick to the at least two layer mask. The gaiter isn't protecting you, and definitely isn't protecting anyone else.

I find my Disney Parks mask easiest to breath in. Large-XL are the normal adult sizes. Look at the measurements and if you think you have a bigger head, nose chin span, definitely get the extra large. The band is a little uncomfortable under my eyes but I take that con b/c it's positives outweight it, including that I fidget this mask the least/it exposes my nose the least.

Last edited:
In my neighborhood there's mainly no need for a mask. It's very empty and everyone is polite about crossing the street or walking in the middle of the road if need be.
Probably not necessary. Brief encounters like passing someone on the sidewalk normally wouldn't be an issue. Cough or sneezes right then, though, all bets are off.
I put it on and breathed with my hand in front of my face. I felt nothing.
Then I blew out my mouth. I felt all my breath. :scared:
Then I put on one of my double layer masks.
Breathed out. Felt nothing. Blew out my mouth. Felt nothing. Blew out my mouth very very hard. Slightly felt something.
Try folding the gaiter in half like I described above, then put a filter between the layers at the fold. Then, of course, make sure to place the filteredvsection over your nose and mouth :)

Probably not necessary. Brief encounters like passing someone on the sidewalk normally wouldn't be an issue. Cough or sneezes right then, though, all bets are off.
My greatest fear. Walking by someone not wearing a mask and they at that moment sneezes or coughs.

We got some of the InstaShield Face Masks. They were a little difficult to get on the ball cap but once attached it was easy to slip the cap and shield on and off. Have not tried out and about yet but I think it will work well. Wonder if it will be allowed where masks are required.

The blue and white disposable ones get all fuzzy after a couple days and then start to tickle my nose. There are some cool gangsta looking masks at the sporting goods store, but way too pricey for me. I settled for a pretty cool one from Kohls with my 30% off coupon.

I dislike having the masks around my ears for any long period of time. I’m a diver an use surgical tubing when Something is required to be fasten to oneself. I found that making a mask with loops for it to go thru and then place around the head is very comfortable and secure. More so then the elastic or just cloth straps. It can be easily pulled down or up when needed and then is always around your neck. May not be the most fashionable but it’s very functional.

After spending the last two days at Universal Florida I can tell you that there are no cool masks.

We have worn store bought cloth masks, home made dual layer pleated cloth masks, home made fitted cloth masks, single layer home made cloth masks, single layer home made dry fit masks, and blue procedure masks.

They have all been hot but bearable. None have seemed cooler then the others, none have been better or worse for fogging glasses.

Because unlike when you wear a thin shirt, a thin mask still traps in your hot breath, making you hotter. The surgical masks I have, though, do have gapped sides and I get cool breezes through those sides, as well as the top of the nose. They are among the recommended ones, too.

My first order took forever. The second time I ordered, they came really fast. No rhyme or reason to it.
I think they're coming today! My pattern isn't available any more, I guess I got lucky with the ones I ordered, but I did see a couple of patterns I could tolerate... :)

No such thing as cool or less restrictive. And the humidity is a killer. I used to be able to walk from work to the train in one shot. Now I have to stop twice, step aside and pull up my mask and practically gasp for air. Used to breath through my nose too, but in the mask I absolutely have to mouth breathe. Just not enough air for me when wearing it. Guess it's time to retire and move away from people and become a hermit!

Florida resident here. I prefer Hane's brand masks for comfort in the heat.

I have surgical ones too, which are lightweight, but not as soft. The Hane's ones are so light and comfortable that you can forget you're wearing them. They are moisture-wicking, so don't get all wet and sweaty like surgical masks.

You just have to get past the fact that they are not that cute, and kind of resemble underwear.

I agree these are the most comfortable. We were provided the white ones at work and it looks just like a pair of tighty whities! :rotfl:

I love my Vera Bradley masks. They are made of a cotton material that feels smooth like a cotton poplin. I can add a filter in the pocket for situations that need extra protection. Easy to forget you are wearing one.
I finally got my first order. They're now out of my (retired :() pattern but I ordered three more that should arrive Saturday, and I have yet three more in my cart!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter